Tomislav

MP sensor and max recolution is 4 CIF?

Hi I would really appreciate your help regarding this. I was wondering how can a camera have Sensor - 1/2-Inch CMOS 3-Megapixel but the maximal resolution to record and view is 4CIF. Camera has also MP lens.

No need to say that the picture is worse then on 420 lines analog cam (object distance is 10-12 meters) and this is after the focus setup.

Do you have the model info on the camera?

Many no-name cams listed on ebay claim to have high MP sensors but only record at limited resolutions. I have no idea how they come up with these numbers, but it's always a warning sign.

This is a fascinating camera. I've never heard of it, but their goal is to have onboard video analytics with digital zoom and PIP tracking, so they use the 3MP sensor in place of a motorized PTZ solution, and put out 2 4cif streams - one full field of view, downsampled from the 3MP sensor, and one zoomed PIP view that the analytics processes.

http://www.dvtel.com/UserFiles/File/ioimage/ioicam/en-ioicam_mmp100dn-datasheet.pdf

I'm guessing it's an older design (I see articles about it dated 2008), since it doesn't support h.264, which virtually all newer cam designs do.

It sounds like this was a bridge solution for analog customers looking for digital PTZ solutions but not needing full MP output. Looks like the price was in the $2-3k range back in the day.

It sounds very innovative and intelligent (and expensive), but it's a bit of a one-trick pony, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not very well supported by 3rd party software. The vendor would have to tell you if it can have the full 3MP output enabled.

I have chekc those data and I am shure they are exaggerating spec. I believe they must deployed VGA(Normal CCD Sensor) and one stream compression ISP. And do you know how many cost for 1/2" megapixel it more expensive than that one camera.

Well if you ask me they are too expensive. Of course the analytics are great to have, but if I am not able to get the resolution (identification) it is not really worth the money. Also they are really not well supported by 3rd party software, example by Milestone so I have two systems running instead of only one for all.

One more thing, it support 4CIF for main window and CIF for tracking PIP window, it is not 4CIF for both windows.

Yeah, you're really just paying for the equivalent of electronic pan-tilt across the sensor.

It was probably an innovative idea at the time, but unless you needed these specific capabilities, it's definitely too much for what you get.