I had our distributor quote it: ~$900 for the linux version and ~$1,150 for the Windows 7 version. By the way, according to Iomnis: "The Focus Tool DS1F01 is not available any longer it has been replaced by the DS-1F02 which is not a specialized system in that it can be purchased with LINUX or Windows 7 installed."

I think i'm going to make a change on my end. I should order the PoE switch earlier in the job and then have it up and runnning at the time of devicing. Seems it would be just as effective and no where near the cost. Like I said awhile back here, we are somewhat new to IP and are trying to standardize a procedure on install and commisioning. We'll figure out a system that works.

I think that makes the most sense. The last one I layed out, the Server room wasn't even finalized on the print, so we didn't have the head end until after the wire runs were done and the cams were up. Sort of backwards I know. Live and learn. I might buy a switch and keep it on hand because of this. That way I could temp. it until the rack is in - then swap out when the data guys come up to speed.

What about using that Veracity Pinpoint (about the size of a pack of cigs and under $40) and a wireless access point (about the size of a pack of cigs and under $40), then connecting wirelessly using a tablet (Nexus7/$250, iPad, etc)?

It just seems like it would be a better, cheaper way. But unsure about the connectivity issues

I like the Iomnis POE tablet but $1000 and I'll probably drop the thing! And it's limited in it's other uses while a regular tablet is much more useful all around.

Using a WAP....like any WAP? I have old Linksys stuff (WRT54G) laying around I could re use. Are they " PoE" on the ports? Ive never looked into it. Im with ya on the laptop, netbook, tablet going wireless, but the cam still needs to be powered.

Wrt54g not poe. Don't need it with the pinpoint cause it passes the Poe through from the supply. But might need it for the network path between the cam and the tablet. Trying to figure out how to do a direct connect using wireless

So, your talking about using the Pinpoint in-line with the cam and the PoE switch, then connecting the WAP to to Pionpoint where you normally would plug in the laptop? That means it (WAP) needs to be powered at the cam also. But with that, mine has a 12vdc power cube/ supply

I think it might just be cheaper / easier in the long run just to get the Pinpoint and a single port midspan PoE injector. All around > $100. use a 25' patch cable to reach the cam from the ground and do the rest from a cart. All the parts are correct, just not holding them all up on a ladder.

In my particular application I will already have poe available at the camera. I have a bunch of fixed analog Bosch Unity Series analog box cameras in heater/blower enclosures fixed to the sides of buildings on elbow brackets. So the pinpoint acts as a pass-thru for the poe to the camera, and as a splitter for the network connection to the camera.

I just did a little research and found this nifty little ASUS 5-in-1 : Router, Access Point, Universal Repeater, Ethernet Adapter, Hotspot

much smaller than a pack of butts

http://www.asus.com/Networking/WL330N/

It sells for about $45

Aluratek External battery pack - Li-Ion 5200 mAh USB Portable Power Supply is a small usb connected battery an easy/cheep way to leave it connected to the Pinpoint by itself. It sells for around $40 or you can get bigger ones

So now the question remains: Will it pass the connection from ip cameras embedded web page wirelessly? Ethernet adapter mode sounds like it should work?

Then I can either stand on my extension ladder with my $200 Nexus7, iPad or Windows based widget and not be tethered so I can walk around the coverage area with it a little bit as well

I had these 2 recommended to me also. Problem here is you have to A: have the PoE switch already running and B: a network has to be available. If it is an existing installation and we are adding to it, this would all be great. The issue is, how do we/ everyone else get around it if theres no switch or network available at the time of install?

This is where the midspan injector comes into play I think.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC-TL-PoE150S-PoE-Injector/dp/B003CFATQU/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360917457&sr=1-3&keywords=usb+powered+PoE

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Repeater-150Mpbs/dp/B007PTCFFW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1360914753&sr=8-4&keywords=WL-330N

http://www.amazon.com/SlimTalk-External-Micro-USB-Flashlight-Smartphones/dp/B0054U6CEE/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360916578&sr=1-13&keywords=usb+battery+pack

We have had several jobs lately where the guys are finished cable pulling and camera mounting and the IT room is not finished i.e no racking, no Sheetrock, no electrical yet. My goal is to come back and install the NVR and load server/ client software and not have to pull another man to come down and re- aim and focus. Otherwise - we talked about this earlier, I would just put the switch in first and be done with all this. But that doesn't altogether solve viewing at the cam by itself. I know it's alot of talking and not alot of working, but the idea here is to come up with a system and implement it - no matter which type it is. May very well be just to order the switch and NVR together with a monitor and put them on a cart until IT is ready. That's roughly $16,000 sitting on a $100 cart in an unsecured job site - I don't like that idea either. My goal here was to see if I could fix this issue with equipment or does it need to be fixed by scheduling us later on the install.

We always start at the head end and work our way out. I also always carry a Ruckus AP and plug it into our network then I can walk around where I need to if I need to.

If your hanging the cameras before the head end is compete just use a Pointsource and a laptop. All cameras we install are remote zoom/focus so all we need to do is point the camera in the right direction so installation is very fast.

If your hanging the cameras before the head end is compete just use a Pointsource and a laptop. All cameras we install are remote zoom/focus so all we need to do is point the camera in the right direction so installation is very fast.
That works well when you're on the top of a ladder, trying to hang onto the ladder, the laptop and the camera:

212331_1.jpg

Kind of makes you wish you had these:

212331_2.jpg

We have hung hundreds of cameras the last year without any dropped laptops. I have tried installing IP cameras every way possible and starting with the head end and working your way out and using 2-way radios to be the fastest most efficient way for our needs.

The new bullet cameras we us now have an extra network jack on the camera so you can plug you laptop directly into the cameras without the need for the Pointsource. This will be a big help if we need to aim cameras with the laptop.

Head end is already installed - it's just that I prefer to work alone - get more done and it's cheaper - no one to blame but myself

When we install cameras alone we have the customer with a 2-way radio at a client machine directing us so we get the exact FOV that they are looking for.

Head end is already installed - it's just that I prefer to work alone - get more done and it's cheaper - no one to blame but myself

When we install cameras alone we have the customer with a 2-way radio at a client machine directing us so we get the exact FOV that they are looking for.

Does the client talk you through focusing the camera too? You must have some very knowledgeable clients.

Does the client talk you through focusing the camera too? You must have some very knowledgeable clients.

LOL.... You guys keep doing it the hard way

All the customer needs to do is press "auto focus" and they can also adjust the focal length. All through the client software without EVER logging into the web interface of the camera.

Focus process:

Right click on camera> Setup> Image and Display > you will see zoom/focus controls.

And yes I have some very knowledgeable customers

We are all saying the same thing here.

1. if you have a running network and 2U of available space in a rack in a operational IT room at the customer location- install the PoE switch, network patch, then wire out to cams, then hang cams, then use PinPoint with WAP and laptop to aim/ focus.

2. If no network is available and no IT room exists - hang cams and aim/ focus with midspan POE injector and PinPoint module along with laptop.

3. Use 2-way radios and another tech. if you have one available and aim/ focus after the PoE switch and recorder are installed and powered up.

....we all understand these methods. I have never asked the end user to assist me with set up and never will - fine tuning later maybe. I have never dropped a laptop either, hopefully never will.

You have all helped me here and I will apply this going forward.

P.S. which cams have 2 jacks on them?

I have never asked the end user to assist me with set up and never will - fine tuning later maybe.

??? I never ask a customer to assist with setup. I ask them to approve the FOV. This way I NEVER get a customer telling me that is not the view/coverage they where looking for. I have been doing it this way for a couple of years now and customers appreciate it very much. They are also learning how easy it is to use the system. We get a lot of compliments from customers after our installs.