blowrabbit

wireless cams compared to hardwired?

From experience we only use wireless is a last resort. The quality suffers even on short distances and you get interference.

Wired is always better if you can get the cable where you need it

There is no comparison. If you need wireless that is one thing, but if you don’t you can’t beat wired cameras.

With proper cabling you don’t have to worry about interference like you do from a wireless.

Another consideration is motion detection. Just yesterday I tested a wireless camera and set my GeoVison 1240 card for motion detection and the motion detection was being set off constantly due to intermittent noise setting it off.

There is another forum member who is really into wireless, maybe he will read this and give his take on the wireless side.

Lets stop and think about what kind of industry you are in. If you are in a surveillance and security type of industry. the last thing you need is something to be unstable. That to me is the definition of wireless.

100% of our installations are wireless, we don't have any problems with stability or reliability.

I've heard a lot of people say that wireless should be a last resort, and that could be the case for some people. However, I think that if perhaps people were educated on the priciples of a technology that's been around since the 30's, they could better grasp how to do it correctly.

I'm not going to harp on this forever, or tell you wireless is always the way to go. What I'm trying to say is that IF PROPERLY PLANNED, wireless is just as reliable and stable as a wired connection, and for temperary security or portable security like my company offers, it is the only option we had-- so we had to be good at it. It changes your whole perspective. I guess that's why to us.... wired connections almost seem silly.

Cheap wireless cameras/hardware are exactly that, CHEAP.

You get what you pay for in most cases, certainly in the wireless video arena.

I am going to agree with WirelessEye that if the system design matrix is planned properly by knowledgable people in the wirless field, it works just as good as a wired system. The problem is that many people hear the term "wireless", and associate it with the technology of a 4-port D-Link wireless home router. Big difference from other woreless technologies. I personally prefer wired due to cost (application dependent obviously), but wireless done correctly most certainly has its place in the market for CCTV deployments, especially larger scaled jobs.

Scottj

WirelessEye,

Your right, I think the majority of the public and probably quite a few CCTV people don’t know much abut what can be done with the new wireless technologies. I am one of those people. You’re the expert and I was hoping you would comment on wireless.

When I think about installing a wireless camera system in my home for example I don’t know how I would get around interference from wireless routers broadcasting in the 2.4Ghz range, microwave ovens, home video transmitters and more.

I for one would be interested to learn more about what can be done with wireless these days and what the requirements are for a wireless installation. I would like to know if there is a wireless solution that a person could use around this type of equipment and have it perform well. Are you able to eliminate interference and provide a consistently good signal without interference from such devices. What determines when wireless can be used, aside from the money for the installation?

If you have spoke on this topic in some depth on the forum or have a link to more information about wireless I would like to read about it.

Scott,

You are right as well. In my test of the wireless camera it was an inexpensive Remington wireless that I have had for years. It worked well for me for a while until I upgraded my wireless phones from 900Mhz to the 2Ghz range which is what this camera uses. Then when I added a wireless router I received more interference which stopped me from using the camera any longer.

I think your right about how people equate wireless to cheap solutions like X10, which has done a great disservice to the wireless camera image. I don’t mean to insult wireless. I am just like many other people that don’t know much about it and the little experience a lot of people have had with wireless has been bad.

A thread about what wireless can do and not do would be great if it hasn’t been done already. It would definitely educate the many of us that know little about it.