chewingyu

HUPER DVR

I've tested the card for the PC based system a few years ago & it was stable enough, it also controlled a Lilin PTZ o.k.

We didn't change to them as we had a lot of customers with Geo already.

Depends on pricing I suppose, but I think they are an established outfit (they were at the last 3 Ifsecs)

Had an e-mail from them 2 weeks ago about new system huperVision (4000 Series) don't know anything about it tho.

http://www.hupervision.com/

Unless they're bringing something unique to the table like a new feature or recording compression, or if their pricing is really insane, I say stick with Geovision.

Way more systems out there, so you know they are going to be around for RMA reasons, keeping your systems the same, and new software releases and patches.

It seems they are pretty cheap but that gives rise to a concern of quality

Are they good for a CCTV system of about 300 cameras?

How does it compare to Win4net DVR? or MagicRadar

If you are talking about a system with 300 cameras then I would put your hand in your pocket & invest in a system that you know will work properly.

If you are talking about a system with 300 cameras then I would put your hand in your pocket & invest in a system that you know will work properly.

Okay, that is obvious. So, is Huper good enough?

What about Magic Radar?

Well, I may not really be have a choice to select GeoVision as we have already conducted the bidding exercise and my only choices are Huper and MagicRadar.

But still I would like to know what so great about GeoVision? I mean are we comparing a BMW with, say..Suzuki?

BTW, I did pose similar question at another thread: http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3190

I extract Rory's view on Huper from that thread here:

"Going by the specs only, from the 240fps 8 channel card:

Dont shoot the messenger

Looks like a much cheaper card.

Have to stack them to get 8 or 16 channels Real time

No Real time 16 channel cards

Video quality is lower than Geo's

No DSP Analogue Output

Software looks interesting though ..

I imagine the card is cheaper than Geo, and if so then it really cant be compared, as its a totally different product aimed more towards Budget clients. Correct me if im wrong please.

thanks

Rory"

So, to avoid duplication, I shall limit my queries to this this "Huper DVR" thread

I extract Rory's view on Huper from that thread here:

"Going by the specs only, from the 240fps 8 channel card:

Dont shoot the messenger

Looks like a much cheaper card.

Have to stack them to get 8 or 16 channels Real time

No Real time 16 channel cards

Video quality is lower than Geo's

No DSP Analogue Output

Software looks interesting though ..

I imagine the card is cheaper than Geo, and if so then it really cant be compared, as its a totally different product aimed more towards Budget clients. Correct me if im wrong please.

thanks

Rory"

Yeah, the Huper's price is signficantly lower than other brands offered to me. That is why I am questioning the quality and asking if anyone had had good or bad experiences. Sometimes cheap may not necessarily mean lousy.

In the CCTV industry, typically a "cheap" product means less support, lower quality, and less warranty. But there is a market for everything . ..

I have tested the Huper Labs boards and they are not too bad, but still I prefer the Geo for PC based as a package solution. The motion detection in the Huper software was a little flaky and was not the easiest to adjust, but the GUI is user firendly for an end user. From a price point, the Huper is a little cheaper over the Geo depending on the specifications of the board. Overall, I think if you need to spec Huper in a bid, you will probably be OK. It was a stable system as we had it run about 5 months without a failure or lockup.

Scottj

Well, the vendor that had offered me the Huper said they used to offer Geo in previous installations but had since changed because they "had some problems" with the Geo and Huper has been serving them well for over 2 years now.

Of course it would be in their interest to promote Huper which is what they are dealing in but still, it is something to think about.

I have dealt with Huper directly & 2 years ago they were telling me the same.

I think the Huper people may even be X Geo employees.

What are the Geo problems they experienced.

I have sold Geovision and tried Huper Labs and my thoughts are that Geovision has a better all round software, i would not at all be surprised that Huper had some ex Geo employees (at least at one stage) because they were at one point coming out with awesome new features, they were one of the first with auotgain and they had some kind of night vision feature and lots of other features.

The pricing was enough to look at the system, but it looked very flakey on seraching and on motion detection and this worried me.

Geovision has all the features but the problem is that not many people actually have a need for all of those features!

Overall I give the Geo about 7.5 out of 10 and the Huper a 6!

night vision, i checked it out, its just high contrast and a little brighter, then kill the sat and hue .. voila, night vision

Yes you've got it exactlyRory.

We saw a demonstration of their nightvision feature years ago. It looked very impressive in a controlled situation ( they had it set up at Ifsec) but when used in the real world it was no advantage.

Hi guys! It has been a while and I am back this time to lament on my experience with the Huper DVRs that have been installed at my workplace.

I think Huper pales in comparison with the Netsafe DVRs. It's refresh rate is much much slower, it is not as user friendly. Recent teething problems include the instability of the recording i.e. one moment I can see recordings for past 30 days (that was my specification to the vendor) and the next moment I cannot. Apparently, the 'E' drive where all the recordings are stored got 'lost'. So, we have to log off, reboot the DVR and the 'E' drive is back. The vendor says the fault lies with the harddisk. I am not really sure.

Also, unlike the Netsafe, with the Huper I am unable to set different recording rate for different cameras. All is fixed it seems.

I think I am really experiencing the "what is good is not cheap, what is cheap is not good"!

Well, I am sure there are. It's just that I would not know what I do not know. I am just depending on vendors to make offers during bidding exercises. So, I have ended up with Hupers and no turning back, really. Just have to make do with it and perhaps change it after a couple of years when they have depreciated to zero value!!

Hi, I am back with more Huper DVR woes.

Recently I experienced a major breakdown of one of the DVRs where the monitor just went blank and some message prompting us to insert system disk, which we didn't have and had to call our CCTV vendor to tend to the problem. They took about 8 hrs to troubleshoot and finally decided to change 2 of the 3 harddisks in the DVR.

Then it worked fine.....until some 13 hrs later, it crashed again. Then this time, they took 2 hrs. Obviously, wisened up from the earlier experience, after some initial failure to reboot the harddisk, they changed it again.

And to make matters worse, the DVR covers the cameras that are located in a high security area!

I was told by the vendor that this might be a problem with the RAID 5 and suggested I opted for Raid 0. I refused to think this is the problem.

He also said that I might need to configure all my DVRs so that it would periodically reboot itself just to clear the memory in the cache. Is this normal industrial practice?? I don't have to do that for my NetSafe DVRs.

Okay, I just got an update on the problems I am having with my DVRs. It was speculated that the root cause of the problem is that the ambient temperature at the DVRs may be too high, resulting in these premature failures of harddisks. I was told that the normal appropriate temperature should be 18 deg C. I think mine is 23 deg C.

Do you think this is the problem?

it gets over 100 in my appt even with a ceiling fan and i dont have any problems leaving my PC on with Geo running ...

But yeah the cooler the drives the better .. i got a colleague that has multiple fans in his PC and also leaves it open with an actual stand up fan blowing on it .. plus the AC But seriously ... ive never seenm the problem personally.. . I think its probably just the DVRs ...

But really .. if it is hot there like it is here, and the rooms where the DVRs are dont have any AC (or at least a fan) then they will definately die ..