carcol_123

cctv on line

i am having trouble sorting out how to look at my cctv system on line, i thing my router is the problem, but i need some to tell me. The router is a ECHO life HG520b supplied by Talktalk, i am unable to find a port in this router and to me this is the problem

I don't understand what you mean by you are unable to find the port on your router? Your DVR will be set to run on a port lets use 8080 as this is a common alternative for websites hosted locally. Next your DVR will have an IP address, this should be set static, not handed out by your router through DHCP, lets use 192.168.001.101. Next your router has 2 IP addresses, internal and external. Internal is used for your personal network and external allows you to connect to the internet. Lets use 192.168.001.001 for the internal and 69.89.79.59 as the external.

You have to go into your router http://192.168.001.001 and go to your port forwarding page, once on this page you will need 2 things, the IP address of your DVR (192.168.001.101) and the port it is listening on (8080) Under host enter 192.168.001.101 and for port enter 8080. This will tell your router any time it gets traffic on port 8080 it needs to send it your DVR, think of it like your ZIP Code, it tells the mail man where to send your mail, without it the mail man has no idea where to deliver your mail.

Now once you have that all setup, you need to connect from a different network, a public wifi hotspot like McDonalds will work perfectly. Once connected you now need to enter your external IP address (69.89.79.59) and the port number (8080) like so: http://69.89.79.59:8080 this will tell your computer to connect to your router and then your router will know to forward the traffic to your DVR, this should allow for remote viewing.

The actual routing of traffic is far more complexed, but I have tried to tone it down so I don't confuse you.

Thank you Sector Security for your information so far, my question is the information you have given me for domestic use which i am or for a company with say a fixed IP address

Carcol,

your will have a public dynamic IP address at your location. behind the router you can set static IP addresses.

In windows, go to Start>Run and type in "cmd" and press enter. Once the command prompt comes up, type "ipconfig" and see what your default gateway is.

IT should be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, you will also notice your computer's ip address is something like 192.168.0.X or 192.168.1.X. That is the IP addresses of devices BEHIND the router.

Write down your default gateway address.

Open internet explorer and go to the gateway address http://192.168.0.1 or whatever yours is. Now you will be in the admin console for the router. NExt, find information on port forwarding,

Also notice if you go to www.whatismyip.com, you will get your public IP address. You use the public IP for getting to things inside of the internal network.

The final piece of information you need is the IP of your camera system DVR. IT should be set to static with the same convention as your computer. If you are on say, 192.168.0.1 you need to make your DVR static in the 192.168.0.X range and NOT 192.168.1.X range.

ONce it is set to static, check your settings, go to the address that you changed it to. IF the system comes up, then all you need to do is setup the Port Forwarding on the router to allow the ports for your DVR on the DVR's IP address.

I don't understand what you mean by you are unable to find the port on your router? Your DVR will be set to run on a port lets use 8080 as this is a common alternative for websites hosted locally. Next your DVR will have an IP address, this should be set static, not handed out by your router through DHCP, lets use 192.168.001.101. Next your router has 2 IP addresses, internal and external. Internal is used for your personal network and external allows you to connect to the internet. Lets use 192.168.001.001 for the internal and 69.89.79.59 as the external.

You have to go into your router http://192.168.001.001 and go to your port forwarding page, once on this page you will need 2 things, the IP address of your DVR (192.168.001.101) and the port it is listening on (8080) Under host enter 192.168.001.101 and for port enter 8080. This will tell your router any time it gets traffic on port 8080 it needs to send it your DVR, think of it like your ZIP Code, it tells the mail man where to send your mail, without it the mail man has no idea where to deliver your mail.

Now once you have that all setup, you need to connect from a different network, a public wifi hotspot like McDonalds will work perfectly. Once connected you now need to enter your external IP address (69.89.79.59) and the port number (8080) like so: http://69.89.79.59:8080 this will tell your computer to connect to your router and then your router will know to forward the traffic to your DVR, this should allow for remote viewing.

The actual routing of traffic is far more complexed, but I have

tried to tone it down so I don't confuse you.

I'm having the same trouble on networking and I desperate for some help.

So what if I'm using 2 routers? where will I configure the port forwarding? I have a local router that distributes my internet connection via LAN and wifi (ill name it as LOCAL ROUTER) while my 2nd router is from my ISP.

At 1st, I did the port forwarding on my local router. I added the DVR IP and forwarded all ports (Client/web and mobile). Then I tried to access my Dvr through another internet connection by entering my home's external IP address. This didn't work.

I then disabled the port forwarding on my LOCAL router and configure the router from my ISP. Since my LOCAL router is the only device connected from my ISP's router - I forwarded my DVR ports using my local router's IP address. this didn't work either.

Lastly, I tried to forward the DVR ports on my local router then forward the LOCAL router's IP on my ISP's router. it didn't work.

So now I'm very confused....I can access and view my DVr through LAN but not on remote via PC and MOBILE app

First off, do you have your DVR network cable plugged into the first router the outside world sees or into the internal network router? Easier if you have it into the first router (your ISP), Of course, now if your first router is actually only a modem, then that's a different story.

Dennis

The port forwarding will happen on your router that your DVR is plugged into. If you have 2 routers you need to setup routes to direct the traffic.

Are you sure you have 2 routers and not a router and a switch?

I have seen setups where someone uses something like DSL where the phone company supplies a modem/router. Then my customer will have their own router that they want to use with DSL.

In the DSL Modem configuration, you can disable routing so the modem acts ONLY as a modem and all routing is effectively disabled.

I would suggest you do this and have all of your routing go through a single router.

Multiple routers would cause so many headaches that you might go crazy.

Keep things simple and go with best practices. Honestly port forwarding requires just a lil more than average computer knowledge and should be done by someone who is paid for it. IF you know someone in this field, they probably will work for beer.