wyattwic

remote IP cameras

Hello everyone!

I am faced with a difficult challenge and I am wondering if anyone would be willing to brainstorm with me.

I would like to install 12 IP cameras throughout my ranch to assist is protecting the property and protecting trespassers (Its a large firing range).

I have resolved the power situation, the camera armor, the mount, the optics and local storage.

My issue is, how do I communicate the IP data over a extremely long range?

Laser communications was my first option, but most do not have line of sight.

The only requirement I have set is low cost and as much hands on as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Look into a company called ubiquiti, they have great products that work over longer distances than you need but line of sight is going to be important. Maybe its possible to put up a tower?

They do have some 900mhz stuff that might work in your no LOS areas.

You're basically running your own wireless 'provider'. Put a tower up with an omni antenna and an access point at your base location. All the other locations you will need a yagi antenna and something like a wireless Ethernet bridge. If going through some trees you should be fine, if its totally blocked (hills, houses, etc) then you will need to put up a wireless repeater.

Do a websearch for WISP. Look for plans on those who put in wireless at places like RV parks.

The tower doesn't need to be anything massive, you will see a lot of different ideas - some super low cost. Hopefully you don't have to go too high.

I used to have a yagi antenna ($18) in my attic connected to a Linksys WET11 802.11b ethernet bridge ($150 I think at the time) pointing to a tower a mile away and got great signal even though a couple trees (all 802.11b) and through the siding of my roof.

I wouldn't even consider laser - waaaay to expensive.

Sorry for the slow reply.

Right now I am utilizing a heavily hacked 802.11 setup. The bridges were amped up and a fine tuned directional "dish" antenna was made from scrap steel and foils.

Using a home-brewed laser range finder, I found out that the longest distance was near 6350FT. (as you can tell, I like lasers).

In regards to the laser communications, I am experimenting for another project but so far the best idea I have had so far was to use an old fiber optic card and "upgrade" the transmission source as well as "widen" the reception area.

The Most flexible sollution is WiFi.

I suggest to use WiFi Wireless Links in 5GHz band.

Keep in mind that WiFi require LOS.

Now there several companies in the Market.

Ubiquiti have good Low Cost wireless devices, but If you need a PRO solution better use Firetide, Proxim or Aruba wireless Links.

The Most flexible sollution is WiFi.

I suggest to use WiFi Wireless Links in 5GHz band.

Keep in mind that WiFi require LOS.

Now there several companies in the Market.

Ubiquiti have good Low Cost wireless devices, but If you need a PRO solution better use Firetide, Proxim or Aruba wireless Links.

Why do you recommend the 5ghz band? The higher the frequency the smaller the wave length which equates to the need for more power to transmit the same distance and easier for the waves to be blocked by things like leaves (or rain as we see in our digital satellites these days).

Though the higher frequency band does allow greater speeds, it does come at a cost.

The 5GHZ band is not a problem with a properly made directional dish antenna but you also need to keep in mind that it can run in the 2.4GHZ band as well.

Lower frequencies can cut through obstacles and foliage much better than higher frequencies but with enough transmit power a higher frequency can make it.

For this setup they are all running 5GHZ. The reason why is because I am pulling 8mbps from each camera and I would like to be able to pull more.

EDIT: Next time I go up I will take a few photos.

I was just curious why D&C suggested 5mhz.

If I NEED to make a voice call, I'd rather TDMA/CDMA over 4g any day... lot less chance of dropping a call and I can reach a lot further on that band (also use less power).

I was just curious why D&C suggested 5mhz.

If I NEED to make a voice call, I'd rather TDMA/CDMA over 4g any day... lot less chance of dropping a call and I can reach a lot further on that band (also use less power).

Yes, but we are talking about Video Streamming and as wyattwic mentioned, he got 8Mbps / per Camera.

Using 4G you have bandwith limitation. I don't think any provider can give you Flat Rate 4G Connection.

Anyway, I will show you an example from an Installation we build recently.

We have a Remote Site with 4x Full HD IP Cameras 8Mbps each.

There was no LOS between Main Facility and Remote Site, so we use a 3rd Point to install a Repeater.

We use Proxim Tsunami QB-8150-LNK-100 Point to Point Links (100Mbps).

wyattwic in your case, I suggest to use Proxim Tsunami® QB-8100 (300 Mbps) If you have Point to Point Links.

If you need a Point to Multi-Point solution, you got to have a Wireless Mesh Solution.

Proxim.jpg.1b8ac3151c3d69e4b8f852cc7cc21b2b.jpg

Example1.jpg.1adcb3c96bb5833d9b43f082f38b36f0.jpg

This project was aimed to be a DIY hands-on learning experience. The whole wireless setup cost me almost nothing due to all parts being taken from defective electronics.

Now I have a customer who is interested in a wireless setup similar to my own. Im too lazy to go about creating another set of modified wireless bridges. Time to dip into my ubiquiti surplus! Equipment costs be about $60 per link with a insane range.