Hi

I'm quite new to IP video management systems but have seen demos of Avigilon, Milestone and Axis Camera Station so far. We are looking at a very large installation (300 plus cameras encoded but upgrading to IP over time). What I'm trying to determine what are the differences between each VMS? So far they all do the same basic function we would require live video and recording with some neat fast searching but how do I find out what these systems would be like with 300 cameras connected, what kind of processing power would be required for each vms, what kind of ongoing support is provided and at what cost?

Are there any comparison sits that show for example bench test results for each VMS?

Any info appreciated.

*Milestone (last time I checked) requires a license for each video channel where Avigilon only requires one license per encoder.

*There are no recurring licensing fees with Avigilon unlike Milestone.

*Not sure if this is still true but Milestone would license to the MAC address of the device and if you want to change that device you must call support. Avigilon is licensed by the number of devices and they don't care how many times you swap cameras.

*Avigilon's cost is per license only unlike Milestone (depending on the version) where you have to pay for the server licenses and then pay for the device license and then pay per year for support. With Avigilon you pay for it you own it with 24/7 FREE phone support.

*With Avigilon's encoders/VMS you can easily have 128 cameras per server without issues. I have one site with 3 servers and 230ish cameras running 24/7 for almost 2 years without issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Also you can try Digifort. At Digifort site you can download one month demo, also, can find good servers power estimator:

http://digifort.com/design_tool

For big systems, Digifort supports monitor wall solution, (Virtual Matrix).

Licences cost is based on cameras quantity, but no MAC addresses, like Milestone.

Also, encoders recomendation:

http://www.rivatech.de/index.php/en/products/video-encoder

Digifort (Professional and Enterprise versions) supports video analytic from this encoders and simple motion detection, so less processing power on server will be used.

I hear this reoccuring license cost with milestone but I contacted them and its just not true its only if you want support or upgrades. I don't believe the others wouldn't offer some kind of ongoing support costs also. I know its a base license and per camera but if the cost of an avigilon license is high does it not work out the same?

I've tried both and milestone rep told me all about his product. Avigilon rep just told me all the bad points about milestone! Getting the same vibe here. Are there any independent comparison/benchmark sites?

I hear this reoccuring license cost with milestone but I contacted them and its just not true its only if you want support or upgrades. I don't believe the others wouldn't offer some kind of ongoing support costs also. I know its a base license and per camera but if the cost of an avigilon license is high does it not work out the same?

I've tried both and milestone rep told me all about his product. Avigilon rep just told me all the bad points about milestone! Getting the same vibe here. Are there any independent comparison/benchmark sites?

That is correct you have to pay for support or upgrades with Milestone. There are no yearly support or upgrade fees with Aviglion.

Milestone is a good solution and each of them has their advantages. I would recommend if you haven't done so already I would get a 30 demo of each software and see which solution fits you needs the best.

Edited by Guest

I guess I should give Avigilon at least some credit for (eventually) recognizing they had problems. The thing is, they tried to blame our system for the PTZ control problems. They insisted we had a bad control cables, despite the fact they were new cables "home run" from each of the two Spectras and despite the fact that both PTZs worked perfectly fine when the same cables were connected to our matrix through a CDU-T.

They kept insisting we should put a PTZ in our control room for testing purposes. And what would that prove? What could we demonstrate in a small room?

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated. I have came from an analogue cctv background but noticed a big change over the past 6 months to ip. I like the vms solutions and feel they are not too expensive compared to older proprietary dvrs. Been asked to look at a few systems recently and provide tender specs! Not something I've done before but have found myself looking more at ip vms systems because of the flexibility.

*Milestone (last time I checked) requires a license for each video channel where Avigilon only requires one license per encoder.

*There are no recurring licensing fees with Avigilon unlike Milestone.

*Not sure if this is still true but Milestone would license to the MAC address of the device and if you want to change that device you must call support. Avigilon is licensed by the number of devices and they don't care how many times you swap cameras.

*Avigilon's cost is per license only unlike Milestone (depending on the version) where you have to pay for the server licenses and then pay for the device license and then pay per year for support. With Avigilon you pay for it you own it with 24/7 FREE phone support.

*With Avigilon's encoders/VMS you can easily have 128 cameras per server without issues. I have one site with 3 servers and 230ish cameras running 24/7 for almost 2 years without issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please I need some help!

I work at Leroy merlin in Brazil, we need a Software to care of our cameras in CCTV. We have here the Digifort (Brazilian Software), D-Guard.Co and NetMatrix.

I Wanna know what is the better options between Digifort and NetMatrix.

Thank You.