Hope you IP/network experts would chime in and help. My knowledge of IT is like my 20-500 eyesight without glasses.

At one of the building I maintain, we are installing an IP camera system (server & (8) IP MP cameras, POE switch.) Since I was using the IT guy’s playground, I asked him to grant me (9) lan static IP address, (6) open ports, and WAN address. I was given 192.168.160-168, and port 5001 to 5010. I was supposed to install last week. As of today, the camera system has not been installed.

Last Thursday and this morning, the computers in the building slowed. The manager called IT company and she was told it is due to the camera system. I am glad that I am behind my schedule.

I remember reading somewhere to run a parallel backbone to prevent the IT guys blaming network problems on cameras.

Is the parallel backbone (I have no idea what this is) the answer? What are other solutions to insulate from the IT guys? What would you do?

Thanks for your help.

Classic case of vendor wars.. (everyone blaming everyone)

Sometimes it is good to blame others, but only if you have proof. I only know a decent amount about IP camera installation because of this, sadly. Installers without at least some IT background will put things on the wrong subnets, assign gateways and IPs to every random digit, mess up QoS/VLANs, request ports/services that aren't PCI compliant, et cetera...

A parallel backbone (ugh..) that they are describing is, with 75% certainty, not necessary. They are describing an instance where you would have to run a separate physical network alongside the current network. You are only running 8 x 1MP cameras. If you were going to install 20 or so on a 10/100 network, I would perhaps consider something physically partitioned perhaps. If they have VLANs set up, have the IT company configure a VLAN for your network if it's an issue. There are many ways to do this and they should theoretically know is best for that company.

I used to experience this emotional fury after showing up on-site to do repairs. I'd fix a company's exchange server database and 10 minutes later would get a call complaining about printers or something random. They'd assume it was something I did if I existed that day. Glad I'm out of that industry haha.

BTW, all the cameras are 3MPs.

Despite my scant knowledge in networking, I test the system at my building prior to taking them onsite. I asked the IT guys to give me the lan info so I can program them. IT wise, this is a small setup (9 computers, 4 printers...) with Comcast business class.

May I know what is the best way for me to approach this? Knowing my owners, despite being extremely conservative with $, would spend more so the IT company could not blame us....

Thanks

work with your IT department to determine the best route. They will be able to tell you if in fact you are impacting the network with the camera traffic. They can do several things to prevent that. You surely don't need a dedicated network.

work with your IT department to determine the best route. They will be able to tell you if in fact you are impacting the network with the camera traffic. They can do several things to prevent that. You surely don't need a dedicated network.

I truly believe I am in their playground. Thus follow their rules. This is the easiest route. This is why from day 1, I have been working with them. Sadly, they are the one who blamed slow network on the UNINSTALLED camera system. Not just one, but twice.

What is the big deal to create separate subnet for cameras ?

cost next to nothing to do

To create a separate subnet, if it is due to labor, I have all the resource I need.

To create a separate subnet, if it is due to labor, I have all the resource I need.

Labor ?

All u need to know how to do it

may be another switch

Where are u located ?

(Their IT company is outsourced and most likely charges 90-180 dollars an hour. To have them come in and modify the network is usually a little bit of a hassle for a small office like that. Just to get ports opened up was probably billed at like .75 hours.)

Labor ?

All u need to know how to do it

may be another switch

Where are u located ?

(4) cameras are on one side of the building and will be on an Etherwan POE switch. The other (4) are on the other side and are on another Etherwan POE. The 1st POE switch will be plugged into the second POE which will be connected to the IT switch.

We are in the Woodlands, TX.