SammieT

Face Recognition?

I have kind of a basic question on face recognition.

I have several cameras installed around my property set a the widest angle to cover the most area. I can see activity with no problem but I have trouble even recognizing myself on camera at a distance (and I know what I look like!). Obviously the darker it gets the worse the problem. So my question is: What good are all these cameras if I see a recorded image of something happening and can't identify the person? If it ever comes down to it, I'm sure the images I could provide of a crime being committed would never serve to convict someone. The only purpose the cameras serve at this point is to alert me of something going on at the present time or to show me that "someone" did something earlier. Cameras are Sony CD73v's so I don't think it's a "cheap camera" issue. Any thoughts?

You need to have a camera zoomed in to capture someones face. Is there a certain point where you know a person will walk through?

I can tell you the correct mm lens (use varifocal of course though) if you can tell me the distance to that point. from where the camera will be mounting. Of course you should also go with a good camera.

You will want to zoom into that point, with one camera whose job will be for facial identification only.

Wide Angle is good for Observation and reaction to a situation as it happens.

Okay, an example would be a night club, we have a narrow lens at the entrance, to get a full facial shot, color of clothing, etc. Then the cameras around the club are mostly BW and wide angles, 3.6mm. Its enough to make out the person to a degree, not valid in court though, but match them up with a better shot from the front entrance camera, then get some more evidence on them like witnesses, finger prints, etc. Takes a little investigation.

another example would be a marina with a wide angle shot, there is no way to make out what is what, at a long distance, but the person manning the cameras can see something is there, then either use an additional PTZ to zoom in on that, or call for additional security or police assitance to check out the incident in person.

Typically when you go over 50' away from the FOV you loose any kind of valid recognition.

Ways to get around such situations in your yard, would be to use Alarm Beams, and tie them into a PTZ, set up presets for the PTZ, when a certain beam gets triggered ,the PTZ Zooms into that area. Ofcourse its not a cheap method though.