PM5K

Can Any Analog Camera Compete With An IP Camera?

We use what I believe are analog cameras that transmit over a cable very similar to standard coaxial cable, which connects to a DVR capture card that digitizes the video.

We have many different types of cameras of varying quality, but none of them hold a candle to a Geovision 2MP IP camera. Even at a resolution closer to 1MP it still looks so much better.

Obviously higher resolution is better, but is it just that or other limitations? I know we can do D1 or close to that resolution as far as the capture card is concerned.

TIA

D1 resolution is about 0.4MP, so even at 1MP resolution you are geting 2.5 times the resolution you have with analog. So of course IP cameras are much better when you are looking at IP cameras over 0.4MP resolution.

What confuses me is that D1 is about the same as DVD resolution. Why the large difference in video quality? I know bitrate and encoding codec has something to do with it, is that it?

IP cams have much better remote access, much better controllability (depending on the brand), and much, much better resolution.

Comparing low end IP cams and similarly priced analog cams, low light performance is often better with the analog cams, but this is partly because you've got the same size sensors gathering the equivalent of 0.3MP resolution, vs 1, 2, or whatever for the IP cam. This is a basic trade-off with high resolution and fixed sensor sizes.

IMO, there's no comparison in practical usage, and I've retired all my analog cams, even the high performance 1/2" ones.

Can any analog camera compete with an IP camera?

NO

This is not the case.

The choice of camera should in part be determined by application and by operational requirement.

Analogue cameras still have a place in high end applications due to better low light performance, the use with large lenses, support or upgrade of legacy systems etc.

Analogue also still has a part to play at the low end domestic end of the market.

IP cameras do have a role to play which will increase as the technology matures, but there are still are problems with issues such as cross manufacturer compatibility, network cable standard length restrictions, low light performance, compatibility of manufacturer specific encoding techniques with end user systems (such as the criminal justice system), possible issues regarding replaying video after storage for a number of years etc.

I would suggest that manufacturer’s camera specification of resolution should never be the sole criteria for purchasing kit, as CCTV system design is so much more.

Ilkie

Ummm, he asked if an analog camera can compete with an IP camera, not what the diffrerences are. An IP camera

has better resolution, same if not better night vision technology, in most cases better color, and if you have POE,

you don't even need a power supply. When you say analog cameras still have a place in low end market, why does

that matter if someone is asking if an analog camera can compare to an IP camera? What does compatibility issues

have anything to do with comparing the two? I stick with my comment, as far as quality and resolution as the OP

is asking us, CAN AN ANALOG CAMERA COMPETE WITH AN IP CAMERA, I stick to my comment.........NO

What your saying is like someone asking the forum "Can a ford taurus with a Lamborghini?"

And than you say, well, a ford taurus is much less expensive, a ford taurus has a back seat so if you

have a family of four, the taurus is needed, the taurus gets better gas mileage, the insurance is less

money than a lamborghini, to repair a taurus it's less money, etc, etc.

Seriously though, a ford taurus cannot compete against a lamborghini! Got my point?

YES if looked at as a security product. yes MP has a much better res but thats it. analog still does the job as a security system and has done for over 60 years.

compatibility of manufacturer specific encoding techniques with end user systems (such as the criminal justice system),

Hi ilk. take it you have also had the white paper regarding some of the MP tech such as 360 cameras. be interesting to see what happends to footage from them in the courts

What your saying is like someone asking the forum "Can a ford taurus with a Lamborghini?"

And than you say, well, a ford taurus is much less expensive, a ford taurus has a back seat so if you

have a family of four, the taurus is needed, the taurus gets better gas mileage, the insurance is less

money than a lamborghini, to repair a taurus it's less money, etc, etc.

Seriously though, a ford taurus cannot compete against a lamborghini! Got my point?

No

Because you have not stated what your criteria is (operational requirement)

If my criteria to get from A-B with the best fuel economy then the Taurus will typically outperform the Lamborghini.

If my criteria to get from A-B in the least time the Lamborghini will typically outperform the Taurus.

So the 'what is best' question can deliver different answers. It depends on the questions you ask.

By the logic you suggest we should all be installing 16MP+ cameras.

The technology type (analogue, IP, MP HDSDi), quality or resolution of any camera offered by the integrator should relate directly to the OR, the overall system design (including consideration of how the output of the system is to be utilised) and TCO.

Ilkie

YES if looked at as a security product. yes MP has a much better res but thats it. analog still does the job as a security system and has done for over 60 years.

compatibility of manufacturer specific encoding techniques with end user systems (such as the criminal justice system),

Hi ilk. take it you have also had the white paper regarding some of the MP tech such as 360 cameras. be interesting to see what happends to footage from them in the courts

And how they are going to replay the images during an appeals hearing 20 years from now.

Ilkie

I love how people turn things around. First of all, I am not the OP, so why would you say that I did not state my criteria?

Second of all, if the criteria was not mentioned by the OP, so rather than posting that analog cameras still have a place in this

world so they can compete with IP cameras, (which makes no sense whatsoever), why didn't you ask what the criteria is for

this 'çompetition'?

Come to think of it, ALL of you are wrong because the OP was not specific enough with his question and everyone just

threw out ideas and comparisons. All I said was in a competition from IP megapixel and analog, hands down the IP camera

will win when it comes to resolution and image quality. Does anyone think I am wrong?

I do .

An MP camera running at 90% compression will not demonstrate the image quality of an analog camera fed to an analog monitor.

I do .

An MP camera running at 90% compression will not demonstrate the image quality of an analog camera fed to an analog monitor.

Ummm, why would you even say that??? I'll go back to my previous comparison. You just said basically, a Lamborghini with

2 flat tires will not drive as fast as a ford taurus. Why would you even say something like that? A mp camera in not full

compression is not as good as an analog in full compression???? WTF???? I feel like I'm on another planet or something!!

I feel like I'm on another planet or something!!
Judging by some of your comments, I would say that statement is accurate.

and yet you still do not say your comment did not make any sense stating that a megapixel camera at not full compression will

look the same as an analog in full compression. Again, why would someone even say that if we are comparing two types of cameras?

Wouldn't it make sense to compare them both at equal compressions? That's how someone on my planet would make an equal

comparison. " title="Applause" />

Wouldn't it make sense to compare them both at equal compressions? That's how someone on my planet would make an equal

comparison

you must be on a good planet

and please vector18 you typed it ITs YOUR ANSWER dont turn the post just explain

Analog cameras are dead. There is no reason for a respectable security company to string another inch of coax. Analog: Recorded resolution is not as good, ease of operation is not as good and price is higher overall.

I see talk of Lamborgini vs Taurus. It's not even that good. It's Lamborgini vs buggy. And not a Lamborgini price.

Most of my bids have been at least 20% lower than the local competitors and we're doing all IP/Digital, usually Mobotix.

Analog cameras are dead

go on please give use your reason why. cant be that there not up to the job (have been for 60 years)

Analog: Recorded resolution is not as good, ease of operation is not as good and price is higher overall

8 analog vs 8 mobotix cheaper ???? how

That's easy. Usually, we can use one Mobotix in place of four or more analog. Coax is more expensive than Cat5. Power consumption for Mobotix is far less [MOD: link removed], Mobotix are stand-alone: no DVR cost. Outdoor install is easier and cheaper as they don't need enclosures. Smart search capabilities of the Mobotix (or MOST IP/digital) reduces personnel time. For comparable coverage, my bids are almost always 20%-30% less than any of the companies in our area who are still driving buggys (using analog).

That's easy. Usually, we can use one Mobotix in place of four or more analog.

ok 1 camera on a building on all 4 corners ?????????? what then ???

my bids are almost always 20%-30% less than any of the companies in our area who are still driving buggys (using analog).

i can see by the way your posting your crap all over the forum that you have not been doing CCTV for long...... and IF your 30% cheaper than installers with analog my guess is your not going to be around for long.

your not the only mobotix installer on here so we all know the price ....... ok yours is spam sales talk....... which also profs the point filling forum full of spam to get sales

Tom, take a drink, get some valium, mellow out. How did my honest answers to questions on here get your blood pressure up so much? I'm sorry I have endangered your health. Please, I really didn't mean to upset you so much.

Edited by Guest

How did my honest answers to questions on here get your blood pressure up so much

spamming does 16 posts all with the same spam crap

ok your a mobotix installer ........ but there is cheaper and better out in the market now .... mobotix just dont want to move along with there tech its been the same for years