Sign in to follow this  
badmotorscooter

Problem with camera picture "rolling" vertical

I have a Dahua 8ch. DVR. I have one GE DR-2000 camera. I am using cat5 with baluns on each end. My issue is the picture is constantly rolling from the bottom up, over and over again. I thought this may be a ground loop issue. I have tried running power over the cat5, and a power supply right next to the camera. When I hook the cable in the house to a small monitor, the video is solid. One thing I did notice is every so often a small blip or tiny flash of some sort happens at the image top center. It is so fast, hard to tell exactly what is happening. I am out of ideas, and do not know what the issue is. Any thoughts?

no - i was making sure you weren't doubling up, as that will negate the noise-rejection properties of the cable.

next question: are these actually baluns, or are the ebay junk that *claim* to be baluns but aren't?

do they look like this?

214130_1.jpg

I doubled up the conductors and made no difference(this was before I saw your reply, and I figured it would not make any difference). Though it should not effect the CMR by much as all conductors are still twisted in a CAT5 cable. I had this other camera that I hooked up and it works just fine. Bummer, the GE looks much more promising on paper. I have a cheapy Q-see CMOS based camera with IR that is running like a champ using the same cable.

I have tried two different baluns, the fist set looked similar to your pic but more block like in appearance. I broke one just unplugging them. The second style I purchased has a pigtail, but otherwise the same appearance. For $4 I suspect there isn't a transformer inside but I had limited funds so it is what i have to work with for now. Do you have a reliable but inexpensive brand for baluns you can recommend? I would like to get this GE camera working. It is mounted and ready to go, but the image is terrible. I have seen it produce a fantastic image using a standard short bnc cable hooked directly to the DVR.