Sign in to follow this  
pivarela

Email alerts not working?

Hello to all.

I have two DVRs CCTV system setup correctly for the past few weeks. I use the Dyndns service to keep track of my dynamic IP address. I can monitor my cameras over the internet and my smart phone without any problem.

My DVR is capable of sending email alerts over the internet and I have tried to do it with Gmail, Hotmail account trying different setting but nothing have worked. Everything else is working fine.

My DVR LAN settings can be seen in LANdvr.jpg picture attached.

SETTING SREEN FOR MY DVR:

ALARM OUT: 1 TYPE: Open

SENDING EMAIL: Myemail@centurylink.net

PASSWORD: My Centurylink Email Password

SMTP SERVER: smtp.centurylink.net

EMAIL: Myemail@centurylink.net or any email address I want to send the email to.

There are no entries for SMPT PORT or SSL on/off or any other Encryption mechanism.

I have tried the followings:

I have tried Gmail, Hotmail and my ISP (Centurylink) SMTP servers and nothing work so far.

Since my DVR don’t have port setting for the email feature, I’m assuming is using port 25 by default.

I have tried smtp.centurylink.net with different port settings like smtp.centurylink.net:465 and smtp.centurylink.net:587 but have not work.

I want to get the SMTP standard relay service to send my email out and then forward them to my Gmail account.

I checked with Dyndns.com, No-ip.com and mydomain.com and I have been told that I need to own a domain name with web hosting service. Additionally I need to be able to send emails from my wed domain.

From Dyndns.com I got the following response “You must own the domain in order to authenticate sending mail. You must be able to receive mail to authenticate”

Since my DVR don’t support SSL I just can’t access SMTP servers like Gmail.com or Hotmail.com

Does my LAN settings look right?

Anyone has some ideas about what services I should get that don’t require web hosting service?

Thank you for your help.

landvr.png.0c0aa016f48e2cd817832b4fb6e2a7b3.png

I had this problem and couldn't find the solution.

So, one day I used the WEB INTERFACE to make the settings instead of doing the settings on the monitor attached to the DVR and that's when my email alerts started working.

Apparent, some dashua based systems on PSS software only correctly apply the settings if you make and save them through the Web Interface...in my case Internet Explorer.

Thank you for your replay.

I tried your tip but did not work.

I think my problem was my ISP do not let me communicate with any servers if your device don't have SSL certificate. I got a new dvr with SSL options and have work great.

Thank You.

Thank you for your replay.

I tried your tip but did not work.

I think my problem was my ISP do not let me communicate with any servers if your device don't have SSL certificate. I got a new dvr with SSL options and have work great.

Thank You.

Glad you got it working but that doesn't really make sense because you can Use GMAIL or HOTMAIL without SSL.

CenturyLink is your ISP?

Your ISP won't let you communicate with ANY servers if your device doesn't have SSL certificate?

I think you simply were not aware of how to set up an smtp mail account that did not use SSL.

It goes by ports. All you had to do is configure your device to use a NON SSL port at the mail server.