Sign in to follow this  
kj99

a cctv with built in vpn client ? -

i want to be able to access a remote cctv camera which has a built in vpn client - configurable to be always on , nailed up connection to a vpn server of my choice ... is there such a thing ?

most people use vpn clients to connect to a camera which happens to reside somewhere on the vpn server side.i want to connect the other way round .....

usually a client connects to a server , and using a client you can connect to whatever is on the server side ... perhaps a camera

i have an installation in mind , which would require the camera itself to be the client - and a p.c running on the server side could connect to this client to view the live stream.

is this possible/ dooable?

Why not go with IP cameras and just VPN into the network then you would be on the same net and just access the camera like you would if you were on the local LAN?

Why not go with IP cameras ...

sounds like he already thought of that:

i want to be able to access a remote cctv camera which has a built in vpn client

this is the problem in a nutshell.....

i install cameras at remote locations - and i currently use 3g sim cards with a fixed ip address ... (im in britain), the 3g sim card is placed in a 3g router with port forwarding.

the sim cards are contract with a fixed ip address

sim cards with a fixed ip address are expensive, with limited data allowance

sim cards with lots of data (pre paid) dont come with a fixed ip address and the dynamic address they do have is NOT NATTABLE - its basically a private ip of the mobiles network... completely useless and cant be reached from the outside , even with port forwarding etc.

if there were a way to configure the 3g router to act as a vpn client , connecting to the main vpn server ,,, then anything plugged into the 3g router could be reached from the server side , this would be great ...

from the server side to be able to reach a camera plugged into the 3g router ( linked via an always on vpn) would be holy of holies- extremely useful.

i could configure the router to act as the 3g vpn server - the problem is ,,,, the 3g sim (pre paid ) has no nattable public ip address ... so how , what,,, ip address would you put into the vpn client?

therefore ,,making the 3g router a client would be better , cos i know the public ip address of the server ... and it doesnt matter if i dont know the address of the clients 3g connection

im a bit grey when it comes to vpns - ive only ever set them up just to surf the net , go on iplayer etc ...nothing like this