DaveScott

Networking Cameras over internet? Is this possible?

Hey guys, it is time for some serious upgrades, and I am getting prepared to delve into this whole world of CCTV cameras, but I was hoping you could point me in the the most appropriate direction in terms of software/ cameras that I should be looking at. I have an ancient system in place that has finally broken down (It used VCR tapes), and I need to replace it.

My goal is to provide basic coverage of 3 commercial buildings with a total of 7 cameras. I am wanting to take the cameras to the next level and go with something network based and HD.

Instead of having three different central recording centers, I wanted to link all the cameras to one single point where a server can monitor and record everything that happens on all the cameras, even in the other buildings. Each building has a separate super speed internet connection.

Is this even possible, or worth my time to pursue?

Hello there.

Yes, it is possible to connect your cameras to a DVR over internet, as long as your ports are forwarded properly.

Basically you will have to test it, and see how fast is fast with an HD camera, especially during rush hour.

Having only one DVR for 3 locations is a little bit risky if the hard drive dies, unless you will go with a system that has RAID5 capabilities.

Several manufacturers offer a client software that can connect to several DVR's at the same time, that will allow you to control all 3 DVRs from one station.

Best regards,

I wanted to build my own server for it, so I could have extra space. I was going to go with a FreeNAS server. It's like RAID5, but better (and faster).

Two of the buildings are right next to each other, but the third is about 5 miles away. Each building has it's own utility internet line that currently just sits idle.

Thanks for the replies!

when you say "each building has a separate super speed internet connection", keep in mind that the *upstream* speed is as important as the downstream, because the each building's cameras have to be able to *send* the data out. a typical high-speed internet connection may be 50mbps down, but under 5mbps up... a single 2mp/1080p camera can easily eat up to 8mbps; that camera would saturate the outgoing connection all by itself.

remember that internet providers usually have a maximum amount you can transfer per month, too. 8mbps is 480mbit *per minute*... 28.8gbit per hour... over 690gbit or 86gbytes per day. if your service has a 500gb/month cap, you could potentially hit that in less than six days. with *one camera*.

I wanted to build my own server for it, so I could have extra space. I was going to go with a FreeNAS server. It's like RAID5, but better (and faster).

okay, the next step there is, you need to either add nvr software to it, or you need cameras that can write directly to network storage.

Fortunately, the connections are commercial grade and symmetric. I speed test around 800/800. Unlimited bandwidth, no caps, and great service.

7 cameras, even at 10mbps each, would only saturate a small fraction of the connection.

I have been looking for a use for these connections, and I think I have finally found it

Any opinions on software? I was reading up on ZoneMinder, but I am unsure if it would really support what I am looking to do, or if there are better alternatives?