JayOwen

Vendor recommendations? Networking help?

Hi, I am a long time reader first time poster. I have some questions that have probably been answered so a link would suffice as a reply. First, the vendor I was using has dropped there analog products as well as DVRs and is now only selling IP equipment. I understand there move but I still have a need for less expensive products. Any vendor recommendations would be appreciated. Also, when connecting a DVR on a network that has two routers (first one cable modem/router, second one wifi router)does it matter which one the DVR is connected to? Another question, most DVR manufacturers include client viewing software, is there a recommended viewer that works with most DVRs?

Jay:

The market is flooded with vendors right now. I buy from many of them and also buy direct from China. I think it really comes down to what your application is and if you will be requiring any support. It does not sound like you are a dealer so I would say something like ApexCCTV. They have a lot of you tube videos and excellent support. The Geovision line of DVRs is very good. I don't use it only because there is not a lot of mark up in it for me, but it is very easy to set up, they have their own DDNS service and you won't need any special software. If you do want to buy some, they sell that too and it will give you a little more in the way of analytics. Also check the warranty. Five years on the camera and three on the DVR and it's hard to go wrong.

It doesn't matter where on the network it is. I do like to go straight to the modem first but this is always not possible.

If the system has two routers it would be best to connect to the first router so it would be easier. You can connect to the second router but you would have to port forward twice. If you connect to the second router you would have to first port forward from the first router to the second router than you would port forward the second router to the DVR.