go0dsir

Internet Car Security camera

Hello everyone. I am new here because I really wanted to see if someone knew the answer to my specific question. I have searched for weeks on google but have failed to find the answer.

To the point, Is there anyway at all that I can conceal a camera in my vehicle that can run off the car's battery, broadcast its self over the internet that I can view from my home on my own personal computer?

The vehicle is parked on the street and I live in an apartment complex. Because of this, there is generally no parking in close proximity to my apartment, so the vehicle needs to be parked a block or two away. So my own household internet connection would be impossible to support a wireless camera in that range from my, "router."

I want to be able to keep an eye on the vehicle at all times for personal reasons. Is there such a device that has it's own internet connection capabilities to be viewed on the internet? How about a paid service that could be used?

Thank you all.

Your best bet is to set up the camera and use a DVR to record the viceo. Becuase your distance from your car is a problem we typically also install a GPS device in tandem. The GPS device can be set up to text or email you a mesage if the vehicle moves or if it moves outside of a particular area that you set up. You can also call up a map and track the movement. It also orks on Ipads and smart phones which makes it very easy to pck up and oinpoint the location of the vehicle within a few meters

The cellular bills would be a killer over time though. Just Google "3g mobile dvr" or "3g mobile nvr" and you'll find a lot of hits. If you get a wifi one with 3G failover, you might be able to set up a directional wifi antenna at your apartment and point it in the direction you usually park your car to save on wireless bills. It'd probably take 4 cameras to cover the perimeter of your car properly though. If you want to get creative mount a 360 degree fisheye camera upside down on the hood of your car. Seriously though, there are versions that take lots of alarm inputs, so I'm sure there's a way that one could be set up to email you if it gets a shock alarm while motionless. That way if it's recording 24/7 you'd always have a record of what was going on and still connect via 3g to see what's going on now without having to watch a monitor all the time and pay hideous cell bills.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I was looking for something that can be placed inside the car, this way I can see the intruder inside the car to use it as evidence.

Can you tell me more about the mobile 3g DVR?

I also found something like this, http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/brickhouse+hct+pro+plus.do?sortby=bestSellers&from=fn. It will allow me to track my vehicle in real time via the internet or smart phone. The same way one has the option to up the GPS tracker screen, is the same way I would like to open up say the DVR surveillance camera inside the vehicle in real-time.

This concept is kind of like a mobile security camera that can be viewed anywhere in the world, (internet). If the vehicle is parked in say Texas, and I have a security center located in Florida. I would like to log into an account, open up an application, and on will come this (real-time) surveillance of the interior of the vehicle.

As far as budget goes, I am open to any price range to see what is on the market.

I've never installed a mobile dvr so I have no specific recommendations. I was just pointing you in the right general direction. If you just want inside vehicle coverage though, that should be easy. Are you concerned about someone with a key using it without permission? Not that it matters except that they'll have a long time to find a camera even if they aren't looking. It'll also cut down on cellular bills because you'd probably catch them quite quickly. A trunk mounted dvr with a pinhole cam of some kind on the back dash looking forward from the passenger side towards the driver should give good coverage. A messy back dash with mixed junk on it might blend a cam in for at least a short while, or tuck one inside a speaker grille or whatever. Big cheesy 6x9 speaker boxes would be ideal if your fashion sense can stand it. Trunk to back dash is a quick easy install as well, especially if you've got enough power in the trunk to avoid running wires from the front of the vehicle under your carpet and trim.

Maybe someone with experience installing mobile covert cameras could speak up?

As ak357 says, budget matters quite a bit, as does how long you expect to have to run it. Cobbling something together to last a week to catch a known offender is different from installing something that'll have to be tucked away and operating for years "just in case".

edit added: Guess it was "thewireguys", not ak357. That's what I get for reading quickly on my phone with the text blown up and the names/avatars out of view.

Edited by Guest

Brickhouse is exactly who I use and was talking about. It comes down to a question of security. I pay 22 a month for my GPS tracking service. It is real time and uses google maps.

To be fair though, I also use it in investigations, so it pays for it self. The one cool thing about he brick house subscription is you can start and stop it.

The important thing to remember about security devices is how important is it that they work when called upon. What is the threat level vs. the cost.

So everyone is correct in a way, it's just we don't know if 30 bucks a month is a big deal to you or if you have a 200k car parked out there.

Generally it is not ideal to use a traditional CCTV solution on this case, firstly the power supply is a problem, and also if you'd like to receive the videos through your computer at home, 3G surveillance solution is often not very stable and not widely used.

Have you considered of using a car dash camera? Maybe this will be more applicable in this situation. There cameras can record in VGA or HD720P or HD1080P format, and many of them built-in with rechargeable battery which can work for about 3-4 hours. For your situation, maybe you need one with "auto park" function, that means when your car is in parking mode, if someone touch your car, the motion detective feature will trigger the camera to start record, and usually such cameras are very mini in size. Y

As far as the use a traditional CCTV is considered, it is not the right solution for you. As you want to receive the videos through your computer at home 3G surveillance can work. Or the car dash camera can work in this situation. However, as it is required to have a good internet connection to the camera, I suppose a 3g connection to a DVR camera can do the trick. I have heard of something similar named cudaeye. Or you can consider contacting a security expert nearby for consultation or installation.

Hello everyone. I am new here because I really wanted to see if someone knew the answer to my specific question. I have searched for weeks on google but have failed to find the answer.

To the point, Is there anyway at all that I can conceal a camera in my vehicle that can run off the car's battery, broadcast its self over the internet that I can view from my home on my own personal computer?

The vehicle is parked on the street and I live in an apartment complex. Because of this, there is generally no parking in close proximity to my apartment, so the vehicle needs to be parked a block or two away. So my own household internet connection would be impossible to support a wireless camera in that range from my, "router."

I want to be able to keep an eye on the vehicle at all times for personal reasons. Is there such a device that has it's own internet connection capabilities to be viewed on the internet? How about a paid service that could be used?

Thank you all.