TheBestofTheBest

What would you do in this situation? Equipment you would use

Hello Everyone,

My first post here .

We are in dire need of some honest help. We are looking to establish an excellent IP camera system that is least likely to have down time and have excellent video quality. We are thinking of establishing at least 8 cameras for the time being and perhaps expand to 16 later on. We are willing to spend up to 300 per camera. I do know that there are many very affordable 'quality' Chinese options that are available for much less than that.

I have labelled our vacant school property . Measurements are in feet.

We will need to have remote viewing & motion sensing email alerts. We do have high speed internet at the location.

What would you do ? What cameras would you get? What additional hardware would you get?

Any and all advice / suggestions are most welcome.

Thank You,

Allan

97505667_CAMMAP.thumb.jpg.12511363024a7b966e5472c17ccd9773.jpg

300 per camera is still cheap. I would interview licensed installation companies and compare bids with particular attention to service an warranty of the product through the manufacturer. Because this is a school you may have various legal considerations being able to prove that you did everything right to the best of your ability to set the system up correctly.

Motion sensing should also just be used for a camera trigger to activate recording when used outdoors. You may want to get into higher end analytics.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but you probably have different responsibilities with a school then you would with business or your own home.

While this is a school building I am not expecting have little kid running around any time soon. Right now we are looking towards making it into small offices.

From what I've read 300 is about right for some high quality cameras such as,Dahua & MINKING.

I haven't been able to find an installed who knows anything about quality equipment.

I have received quotes of more than 20,000 for under 8 cameras. I don't want anybody retiring off of my inexperience =)... who would?

Looking forward to what you guys have to say =)

If you use motion alerts to email, you're going to get hundreds of false positives a day. If this is the primary requirement, then look at VideoIQ. To keep the price down, use two Rialto A4s paired with analog cameras.

If reliable alerts is a "nice to have but not necessary" then you can certainly get a few Dahua IP camera options for under $300.

Cheapest reliable alert option might be to record on motion but set up PIRs at important choke points and email only when the PIRs signal an alert. That way you won't have to wire PIRs into every camera, just the NVR.

I have received quotes of more than 20,000 for under 8 cameras. I don't want anybody retiring off of my inexperience =)... who would?

What cameras were on that quote? Server? Is that because of unusual install circumstances like having to wiremold all the wiring?

$300 per does seem low but maybe not for indoor, retail pricing of many of the new Acti models are going to be under that price.

Qvis have some IP cameras available which will be as cheap as you'll find with some warranty and returns policy. However you do get what you pay for. I'd personally look at axis or Samsung, 8 cameras and storage about 5k plus labour

I love this. I've been a contractor for 11 years, and people think theirs is the only knowledge or labor that has value!

I love this. I've been a contractor for 11 years, and people think theirs is the only knowledge or labor that has value!

Whether its right or not people only want to pay for something they can see and touch. Now that people can look up prices on the Internet for just about anything and also learn how to perform an otherwise complicated task they value labor, overhead, pro licenses et al even less.

Isnt it great now a guy can do a brake job on his car because he watched a 5min video on youtube and found some cheap chinese rotors and pads on the web to replace them.