Fars666

Picking a new DVR system

Hello everybody,

So basically I'm looking for a good reliable DVR & 4 cameras that will produce high quality video "1080p" in price range of 500$-1100$.I'm expecting very good real time video with no freezing what so ever just straight real time video. The most important part is a playback - I want to have full HD playback as well. Please advise..

Guys can anybody suggest a good reliable DVR with loop out (outputs)?

Since nobody replied I would take anything that is "loop out" supportable however with a high video quality.

I take it you're looking at HD-SDI since you're talking about plugging a camera cable into the back of a DVR.

What are you looking to loop the picture out to from the DVR?

I take it you're looking at HD-SDI since you're talking about plugging a camera cable into the back of a DVR.

What are you looking to loop the picture out to from the DVR?

Well i got 4 x 8" lilliput monitors and basically I want to set up each channel induvidually on each monitor. I'm also wondering how to connect the coax input to HDMI =/

I think you've got some terminology and ideology a little bit off on how to do this.

First, do you want/have to have 1080P quality recording? If so, you're not looking at getting a DVR. DVRs do analog video typically, which only has a maximum resolution of ~486 TVL resolution. Not HD. Not even close. If you want HD video, you are looking at IP cameras and an NVR (network video recorder) or a PC based system with VMS software that can view the cameras. You can also do it over HD-SDI as others have mentioned, but I think you'll find this to be a headache and there aren't as many options available with this as there are with IP cameras.

IP cameras run over Cat5 or Cat6 cable. They typically have PoE (power over ethernet) built in, so you can transmit both the video and power over a single Cat cable. Install can't get any easier!

Most NVRs will have 1-2 video outputs in HD. Typically in the price range you're talking about, you'll find an NVR with an HDMI output and a VGA output. Some may also have "loop" outputs, as you mentioned, but these are typically over coax and are an analog output, not HD.

I'd look at picking up a Dahua NVR. There are a lot of different guys on here that can tell you where to buy them. Their NVRs are well priced, have a solid GUI, and have good apps for remote viewing on your smartphone/tablet. They also manufacture great quality cameras which are incredibly easy to configure with the NVR.

I think you've got some terminology and ideology a little bit off on how to do this.

First, do you want/have to have 1080P quality recording? If so, you're not looking at getting a DVR. DVRs do analog video typically, which only has a maximum resolution of ~486 TVL resolution. Not HD. Not even close. If you want HD video, you are looking at IP cameras and an NVR (network video recorder) or a PC based system with VMS software that can view the cameras. You can also do it over HD-SDI as others have mentioned, but I think you'll find this to be a headache and there aren't as many options available with this as there are with IP cameras.

IP cameras run over Cat5 or Cat6 cable. They typically have PoE (power over ethernet) built in, so you can transmit both the video and power over a single Cat cable. Install can't get any easier!

Most NVRs will have 1-2 video outputs in HD. Typically in the price range you're talking about, you'll find an NVR with an HDMI output and a VGA output. Some may also have "loop" outputs, as you mentioned, but these are typically over coax and are an analog output, not HD.

I'd look at picking up a Dahua NVR. There are a lot of different guys on here that can tell you where to buy them. Their NVRs are well priced, have a solid GUI, and have good apps for remote viewing on your smartphone/tablet. They also manufacture great quality cameras which are incredibly easy to configure with the NVR.

I see but I'm afraid that NVR will totaly kill my network bandwith isn't it?

I see but I'm afraid that NVR will totaly kill my network bandwith isn't it?

You can have two networks in your house....one that you are currently using and a second separate network for the ip cameras. Your would connect your cameras directly into the NVR POE ports and all that data will not be on your primary network.

If you are typing into your existing house network I would still think that would not be an issues. 4 cameras combined would be around 12mbs.

Mike

Not necessarily. If you design properly, you shouldn't have major bandwidth problems.

What you need to do to make sure of this is simply have all of your camera equipment (recorder, cameras, PC you are viewing on) on the same network switch. All of the bandwidth/traffic is handled by the switch and doesn't interfere with anything else on other switches/routers.

The only time that your bandwidth would be affected in the scenario designed above would be when you are accessing the cameras from a camera NOT connected to the switch (wifi, for example) or when accessing remotely. This is because you are now requiring the cameras to stream across the network to a different device. However, many NVRs/cameras have multiple video streams which will record at the highest recording level, but will have an alternative stream that is lower resolution/quality/frame rate so that they are more bandwidth "friendly."