bpzle

AT&T 4G and port forwarding

I am told that AT&T wireless has gone out of their way to block all outbound ports from their consumer-type air cards. They are trying to promote use of a different, business type service. Is this true? Without using a VPN, is there a work around?

I am using a Cradle Point router and AT&T 4G air card. I can't seem to get any ports to talk...

Thanks

"What type of wireless cards work?

The majority of users looking to do remote camera configurations prefer to use either Verizon 3G or Sprint 3G/4G modems. This is because they come with a public IP that allows you to talk to the device outside the local network, while providers like AT&T (unless i2Gold with 10+ lines), Virgin and other prepaid services use private IP addresses block ports preventing remote access (Verizon 4G LTE Doesn't work for IP Cameras or Webcams). If this is already starting to confuse you don't worry, think of a "public IP" like an address inside the U.S. that you can drive to in your car. Now, a "Private IP" would be like an address on an island surrounded by water, obviously you can't drive your car there. After you've checked cellular coverage and determined which provider to use you must figure out if you want a static IP or use a dynamic DNS provider. "

Reference: http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3813/63/

Back when the playstation 2 was around there was some software you could load on a PC and remote to it. I'll try and remember what it was. You don't need an outside IP. It used a host server.

For most vpn to work, you have to know a valid IP. If AT&T is hiding behind private IP addresses, then you have to have a relay server of some type that your inside system keeps a connection to. I doubt dynamic IP hosts would fill the bill. Hamachi is the program we used across the internet for some games that would only run on a local lan. Something like it could help bypass your problem BP.

Get a static IP address, then ports are not blocked. We use Verizon air cards with cradlepoint routers, and nothing at all works without getting a static IP and I thought ATT was the same way but I could well be wrong.

In fact they somehow made one that was static dynamic yesterday and now we cannot access anything at that site. Grrrr.