erikdv

Canadian vs US pricing

Hi All,

I work in a Security Company based in British Columbia, Canada. We recently started to get into more surveillance options but the internet is killing us. As a Canadian my options to buy wholesale seem to be limited to Tri-ed, ADI or Aartech. Problem is our pricing with these companies make it impossible to compete. When I quote a person on a DVR I am often asked for details/part numbers. A quick Google search will show the same item is available in the US for less than my wholesale cost in Canada. How are we supposed to add any markup? Any suggestions or fellow Canadians that have found a way to get around this?

Hi All,

I work in a Security Company based in British Columbia, Canada. We recently started to get into more surveillance options but the internet is killing us. As a Canadian my options to buy wholesale seem to be limited to Tri-ed, ADI or Aartech. Problem is our pricing with these companies make it impossible to compete. When I quote a person on a DVR I am often asked for details/part numbers. A quick Google search will show the same item is available in the US for less than my wholesale cost in Canada. How are we supposed to add any markup? Any suggestions or fellow Canadians that have found a way to get around this?

Hi

I am also in Vancouver .

Why all these price are higher than US .

If possible , let us discuss it by email

Vidocanada@gmail.com

Philip

I understand your issues erikdv but what prevents you from sourcing your products from the US? Just use a source from down there. You'll have to import of course, but that's not a big deal for larger orders. I do my own paperwork for large orders when crossing with commercial goods (not cctv though), or sometimes I use a broker or just the plain old Fedex/UPS/etc brokerage service for smaller/faster orders. It just doesn't work well for, say, $40 worth of parts. Big orders fine, small orders under $20 fine (no brokerage fees for under $20), but the money saved by ordering stateside is negated by the 50-100-300 or whatever dollar orders by fees/shipping. You'll just have to work out which orders you save money on versus your current suppliers and if it's worth the extra time it takes to cross the border. Warranties may be tricky though.

I'm also in BC.

Lot's of "good deals" in the US aren't so good after the shipping and brokerage fees are factored in...not to mention that most manufacturers won't apply any warranties to their products unless they're sold through approved sources... as in, most ebay sites.

Cheap junk is available everywhere. The new fact of life in the CCTV biz. Do I like it? No. But it does give me the opportunity to demonstrate the difference between "a good deal" and quality products with good after sale service.

Like I tell them, sharpen your pencil.

Why do not you buy them from USA online?

The item will be shipped by FedEx/USPS, it is fast and cheap.