Analog vs IP  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Analog vs IP

• Analog
    • IP
    • Other

(i searched for the topic, but i could not find it, sorry if is already made)

Well, me and my friends had a long discussion regarding which one is better, but many important facts were thrown into the table. We ended up agreeing to disagree, but the question still stand.

Which system is better?

Conditions being the same for both. Installation, Management, and Durability.

No better place to ask this question, than here.

There are pros and cons for each, as we have discussed in other topics. Others may disagree, but my

personal opinion is IP is the way to go. As long as bandwidth is available, IP has better resolution and just

as easy to set up as analog. Analog still is less expensive and eats up less bandwidth and hard drive storage.

If your looking for an opinion so you can make a decision what to install for yourself. Go with IP, you will

not be disappointed.

$ for $ analog is better. U can get much better night coverage for much less money.

Now if u want to compare a $600 IP to a $80 analog...guess who will likely win....

But when comparing same price range (or close) the analog will be better overall. (Your goals have a serious impact on this answer. As IP make nice daytime images. But at night the low end ones seem to suffer.)

$ for $ analog is better. U can get much better night coverage for much less money.

Now if u want to compare a $600 IP to a $80 analog...guess who will likely win....

But when comparing same price range (or close) the analog will be better overall.

budget is really a wake up call when it comes to choosing, i love IP cameras, but the price can be terrifying, not to mention the storage space. higher image quality, less recording time.

I really think it depends where you buy your cameras and which brands you buy. I did an apt building over a year ago and

spent $180.00 on vandal proof outdoor domes with IR's, 700tvl lines, effio chip, etc. The picture was very acceptable and at night

it gave a clean image. Now, a few months ago, I did a residence with Dahua 2100's 1.3mp bullets with IR's and I bought them

at $160.00 each (less than the analog)! Now, during the day the image is MUCH better than the analog, and at night time,

the image is amazing.

The two top cameras are analog IR cameras that I actually spent more money than the IP cameras in the two lower boxes.

They are all live shots viewing at the same exact time of day. So, please, if your going to bring up the night vision comparison

between analog and IP, back it up with images. The images I am producing basically is my proof that IP night vision is better

than analog night vision and it does not cost any more money than analog does.

215441_1.jpg

Not to be an ass..but...not really apples to apples.

Also I've noticed by looking at a bunch of older cams that they had better night image before they started adding IR to them. The older cams that would just go black when lighting was terrible had much better image quality. Now the cams try..but it looks like crap. So u don't know that your camera isn't getting enough light...instead you assume that the camera just isn't up to the task.

And to clarity I'm assuming the OP is talking about megapixel cams when he says "IP".

Look at rorys old images. Your comparing ONE megapixel cam to ONE vandal dome....

The question is kinda a tricky thing and cannot be answered as simply as any of us are trying to claim.

Cat5 and baluns?

I've seen 50.00 cams that beat your MP cams at night. (If u look on this very site, you will too...) ever tried a black and white camera?

Here's a link with some decent night shots out of very inexpensive cams. http://www.bahamassecurity.com/cctvforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39&title=cctv-camera-comparisons-images

I'm not really into the special Olympics. So I won't try to convince you that your arrogance blinds you. Carry on.

Edited by Guest

not to be an ass either, but no one is saying apples to apples. The original OP is basically trying to get a feel

what others prefer as far as quality, durability, ease of use, as he had mentioned in a previous post. Someone

mentioned that analog produces a better night image for less money and I simply posted an example of

spending more money on an analog camera compared to an inexpensive IP megapixel camera and getting

a better image at night with the IP camera. Yes, I agree, there is no simple answer to, which one is better.

Obviously, IP megapixel is better, but there are categories that can be brought up where as analog cameras

would be the preferred choice.

not to be an ass either, but no one is saying apples to apples. The original OP is basically trying to get a feel

what others prefer as far as quality, durability, ease of use, as he had mentioned in a previous post. Someone

mentioned that analog produces a better night image for less money and I simply posted an example of

spending more money on an analog camera compared to an inexpensive IP megapixel camera and getting

a better image at night with the IP camera. Yes, I agree, there is no simple answer to, which one is better.

Obviously, IP megapixel is better, but there are categories that can be brought up where as analog cameras

would be the preferred choice.

We can agree on that then. Good enough

Cat5 and baluns?

I've seen 50.00 cams that beat your MP cams at night. (If u look on this very site, you will too...) ever tried a black and white camera?

Here's a link with some decent night shots out of very inexpensive cams. http://www.bahamassecurity.com/cctvforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39&title=cctv-camera-comparisons-images

I'm not really into the special Olympics. So I won't try to convince you that your arrogance blinds you. Carry on.

Who mentioned anything about cat5 and baluns?????

Rather than shooting your mouth off, post some proof as I did. I would think someone that was a particpant of the

special Olympics would not be capable of actually producing proof of something they were claiming, not someone

that has produced proof.

and keep in mind, some inexpensive analog cameras may produce an excellent image with some aide from lighting, but

what happens when you want to digitally zoom into something to get alittle more detail? And what happens with that 5mp

camera when you digitally zoom into something for detail?

If you're gonna post night images- something I like btw, please post useful night images of people in the shot. Backup footage of people walking. Stills from backup footage of people. People zoomed in for that detail, from backup footage, that's always mentioned. It's gets tiring looking at images of parked cars and driveways. The ULTIMATE goal is not just a pretty, clear picture, but how much improved the ID shot will be. Night images- or any time- void of ID examples doesn't show anything more than clean pictures of static objects. The other thing to consider is location. Maybe a busy street is void of spiders on the IR's but I can assure you that on a residential house install, close up megapixel shots of webs and spiders isn't what you want. So out goes MP IR cameras, in comes other considerations- be it analog or MP. MP cameras absolutely provide better resoltion, but a heck of a lot more goes into the equation for ID than just that. And one mans great result with MP cameras doesn't mean it's the better choice for another.

Oh, and it would be great to see how well faces hit with IR from the megapixel cameras handle that. No matter what camera has IR in it, if the intensity doesn't self adjust it becomes a useless face wash at the most critical time- a close up shot.