gianry

IP camera for my dining room

I've got a QNAP nas with Surveillance station pro and I need to buy to small camera for my home.

I'd like to monitor two rooms; one of them is small 4x4 meters (bed room) and another is 5x6 meters ( dining room).

I need to view by smartphone when I'm away and record on nas .

Which is the best ip camera for me ? My budget is 150/180 euro each cam.

I've seen some days ago a Dahua dome camera and it seems to be very good but it is not wireless. It could be better if it has wireless connectivity too.

any wireless camera needs power... so that means at least one cable wired to it

so... it's simpler to use a camera with PoE... the cable does the power and the video too

what about wireless cube cams?

That would make sense, depending what QNAP supports, Axis, AVTech, Brickcom all make wireless cubes that are pretty small, come in higher resolutions and come with wall/ceiling mounts. In that price range, they tend to all have white light LEDs as IR with day/night cut filter puts it out of your price range for a quality camera.

Keep in mind with WiFi, you should be close to your WiFi router or repeater because the radios in these cameras are not as strong as what you may have in your laptop and low signal strength combined with interference from every day objects like a microwave oven or vacuum cleaner may cause signal loss.

An alternative to WiFi as it clearly limits your choices of camera dramatically, is Powerline. I wish they had an affordable solution with PoE but for now you can piggy back the PoE injector on the Powerline adapter as many have outlets on the back. For example, the TRENDnet TPL-304E2K plugs directly in an outlet, and the injector piggybacks on it. Then you can get a nice PoE IR dome camera, even Dahua if you wish, or check out the ACTi D71, may fit in your price range.

Check out this forum post for Powerline

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34762

I would stay away from Wireless Cams/IPCams... They can be jammed and, in the worst case, can become a "free eye" for anyone wanting to get a peek in your house...

I would stay away from Wireless Cams/IPCams... They can be jammed and, in the worst case, can become a "free eye" for anyone wanting to get a peek in your house...

Couldn´t that happen to any IP cam, which is not correctly set-up / secured?

Take a look at Dahua IPC-K100W. I still have not tried yet, but I hope to do so soon, it looks like a great camera for home use.

1.3Mp, micro SD, PIR, white led, wireless, bidirectional audio, ...

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-k100-k100a--k100w-225.html

Go for it!

Not sure if this model is native supported by QNAP nvr, but if not, ONVIF should do the trick.

Also check for mobile viewing.

Or take a look at this one;

not sure for availability and pricing / compatibilty, but looks nice and small for homes.

Couldn´t that happen to any IP cam, which is not correctly set-up / secured?

That can happen to any camera system, IP or analog, that is connected to the internet and not secured properly, as well as 'net connected systems (IP or analog) that aren't designed properly from the factory regardless of being set up according to best management practices by the installer. Wireless ones just have the added benefit of potentially being sniffable/hackable by your next door neighbours and THEY know you and where you live. That's a bit more disconcerting to me than, say, someone in Kazakhstan getting the thrill of watching me leave for work in the morning but having no idea who I am or where I live.

As a major recent example of insecure cctv systems, read this post. No wifi involved.

As a for-instance about wireless, I know of one guy who ended up monitoring his neighbour and his wife during, shall we say, a delicate moment in the morning. This was unintentional and they happened to be brothers living next door to each other, but it'll give you an idea of what can happen if your wifi isn't secure. This incident got cleared up right away but you can imagine the family stories that'll be going on for quite a while.