Angus

Bosch PTZ Question

So.. we recently got a puppy.. and seeing as our backyard has a bend in it.. i was figuring a PTZ would be a good way to make sure things are going good for him.

I found this on ebay a Bosch 0948... Anyone have any opinion's on it? It looks cheap enough and i think i could get a corner mount fabbed up without to many issues...

Has anyone used these before or have any opinions on how they would be for casual home use?

Thanks

link for reference

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-LTC-0948-25C-EnviroDome-System-ENV-Camera-Module-26x-Optical-Zoom-/330879486498?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item4d09f44a22&ssPageName=RSS:B:STORE:US:101#ht_1714wt_1161

I install Bosch cameras for my employer and have some old units here at home. However they are not easily adaptable to other brands of DVRs or recording software. This because not many companies other than Bosch support the Bi-Phase protocol for controlling the PTZ.

The unit on eBay appears to be just the camera pod and doesn't include the mount. You will also need a controller capable of sending the Bi-Phase control code to the camera. This camera could be capable of using Pelco commands too but this feature may need the Bi-Phase controller to enable the feature via the on-screen menu.

I would look for an IP PTZ instead as I have spent a lot of time scouring the internet to find a way to control my Bosch PTZs with my Blue Iris software.

I do have a Bosch DiBos DVR, so i know it does bilinx, so that should work, I also have an axis encoder, that should be able to rs485 with Pelco protocol.

As for the mount, is it needed per say? Or is it something that could be fabbed together.. my wife is an engineer in a machine shop so i can get things fabbed together if need be.

Your all set with the DiBos. This camera should do bilinx up the coax but if it doesn't, you can fall back to Bi-Phase which will require an additional pair of wires.

I tried to find a picture of the mount on the net but google didnt turn up what I was looking for. The camera pod fits into mounting cap by inserting and making a 1/4 turn to lock in place. Set screws then make sure it stays put.

The mounting cap is available with threads to mount on the end of a threaded pipe. There is also a pendent arm that has the mount built in.

Here is a sold eBay auction that shows some of what I am trying to describe. The mounting cap is in the lower center of the picture. It is built-in on the mounting arm shown just above it. You dont need both parts. Just one or the other.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-PTZ-Pendant-Arm-Corner-Bracket-Mount-and-Power-Supply-/130836923025?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item1e767d0291

I do have a Bosch DiBos DVR, so i know it does bilinx, so that should work, I also have an axis encoder, that should be able to rs485 with Pelco protocol.

As for the mount, is it needed per say? Or is it something that could be fabbed together.. my wife is an engineer in a machine shop so i can get things fabbed together if need be.

BTW...if you decide to use Bilinx for PTZ, be sure to use only CCTV grade coax cable and not CATV type coax. CCTV uses copper braid and CATV uses aluminum braid which is not good for non-RF applications like video and Bilinx signals.

Excellent, thank you.. then if i get it at least i should be able to make things work. The cable is already run, i ran 59 siamese which is solid copper, and cat 5e, so i can use the coax for now, and the cat 5 for control. And then if i ever strike it rich i can upgrade to an IP cam

BTW...if you decide to use Bilinx for PTZ, be sure to use only CCTV grade coax cable and not CATV type coax. CCTV uses copper braid and CATV uses aluminum braid which is not good for non-RF applications like video and Bilinx signals.