buellwinkle

2 1080P IR Bullets at Costco for 349

Setting up two (2) Lorex camers I purchase from Costco. These Lorex cams are NEARLY identical to the Swan/Costco units with a subtle exception...

Lorex Model MCNB2151: Firmware    V4.0.9 130306
Swan Model SWNHD-820CAM: Firmware V4.0.9 130106

The cameras only operate at 100 Mbit so it doesnt matter

That I understand but HOW MUCH of the 100mb pipe does it uses when transmitting at say full quality.

Let say the switch is only 100mbps, the uplink to the router maxes out at 100mbs.

The uplink is a single port on the switch that will be carrying the video stream from ALL the cameras at the same time.

If say one swan cam uses max of 25mbps and the foscam uses 10mbps

(4x 25mbps) + (2x 10mbps) = 120mbps combine. bandwidth of all the cameras

at 120m it will overload the uplink speed going back to the router. and you will have either frame drops or camera not showing up. or some garrbled video. So now I would need 1000gb switch to handle the uplink going to the router.

Due to the nature/location of where the cameras are wired to and the placement of switch I don't want to use anything expensive if I don't have to.

*** SOMEONE correct me if I'm wrong on how it works, as I currently run 6 foscam off a full gigabit network.

So, this gets back to what you set each camera for. If you have 8 cameras, each set for 8192 kb/s, you'll be sending 65.5 Mb/s through your switch. Throw in some overhead for grins, call it 80 Mb/s, and you'd be fine. If your Foscams are D1/VGA, they'll be fine at 2048 kb/s, which is a bit of overkill.

8192 kb/s is fine for any 1080p camera out there, unless you're sending MJPEG or similar. A super-sharp camera could benefit from a higher bitrate, but we're not talking about anything like that.

If you're approaching the limit of your switch, the higher backplane and fabric speed of a Gb switch may help avoid congestion, but this depends on the design of the switch.

Setting up two (2) Lorex camers I purchase from Costco. These Lorex cams are NEARLY identical to the Swan/Costco units with a subtle exception...

Lorex Model MCNB2151: Firmware    V4.0.9 130306
Swan Model SWNHD-820CAM: Firmware V4.0.9 130106

What are the camera settings compared to the swann...does it have the soft right side as far as you can tell.

I love that...."not everyone has a soft edge" Ain't that the truth.

I do feel like a dummy here. I got the 2 pack Swann. Here is what I have tried to "get into her" so far. I have followed this and similar threads closely. But no go yet.

Based on past experience: Hooked her up through my POE switch which is hooked to my router. My HFW 2100 has been humming on it without a miss for weeks. No IP address for the Swann on my router as has happened with all other ip cams I have tried. After all else shown below I called Swann. They said this cam does not have a default ip address and is set default to DHCP so my router should give it the ip address. I also tried a command prompt.....ipconfigure with nothing.

Based on forum help:

Next downloaded the iVMS4000 from HIK as Q described. When I fire up that program and go through the steps Q so thoroughly presented for finding the cam, it will not find the camera. Then I also tried the camera finder app. It also comes up blank for finding the camera.

Camera is plugged in and working, (at least the irs come on when I cover the lens) POE switch is trying to blink.

I have also tried straight ethernet and 12 volts DC through the additional pigtail.

I have also tried the default ip address found here and elsewhere.............192.0.0.64....?

Cant wait to see her in action but I need to find her first. What am I doing wrong?

Swann CS came back with the "default DHCP(on) on this camera" answer and I said " OH....OK, I will try again" My router has always been set with DHCP on and has always found and id'd whatever I hook up.

I have only tried one of the two cameras so far.......................

Thanks for any help.

Rick

Wow, what a difference between the Swann and the Lorex!!!!!! same firmware even!

...What are the camera settings compared to the swann...does it have the soft right side as far as you can tell.

I now have 3 of the Swann/Costco cameras and 2 of the Lorex/Costco cameras running on Blue Iris. They are all running H.264 at 5FPS, 4096 CBR, 6 I-Frame Interval & 1920x1080 resolution.

I really haven't paid much attention to the "soft right edge" bro; that sounds to me like much ado about nuthin'...and may hath been done to death by slanderous tongue.

My apologies to Billy Shakespeare

Edited by Guest

...what a difference between the Swann and the Lorex!!!!!! same firmware even!

Not quite: there is a sight difference between the firmware version which is most likely attributable to identifying the company which is distributing the Hikvision camera...

Swan: x106

Lorex: x306

If I am not mistaken, there is a config utility you need to use to find and setup the cameras. I'm not sure if swann has their own, or if everyone used the one from Hikvision.

I love that...."not everyone has a soft edge" Ain't that the truth.

I do feel like a dummy here. I got the 2 pack Swann. Here is what I have tried to "get into her" so far. I have followed this and similar threads closely. But no go yet.

Based on past experience: Hooked her up through my POE switch which is hooked to my router. My HFW 2100 has been humming on it without a miss for weeks. No IP address for the Swann on my router as has happened with all other ip cams I have tried. After all else shown below I called Swann. They said this cam does not have a default ip address and is set default to DHCP so my router should give it the ip address. I also tried a command prompt.....ipconfigure with nothing.

Based on forum help:

Next downloaded the iVMS4000 from HIK as Q described. When I fire up that program and go through the steps Q so thoroughly presented for finding the cam, it will not find the camera. Then I also tried the camera finder app. It also comes up blank for finding the camera.

Camera is plugged in and working, (at least the irs come on when I cover the lens) POE switch is trying to blink.

I have also tried straight ethernet and 12 volts DC through the additional pigtail.

I have also tried the default ip address found here and elsewhere.............192.0.0.64....?

Cant wait to see her in action but I need to find her first. What am I doing wrong?

Swann CS came back with the "default DHCP(on) on this camera" answer and I said " OH....OK, I will try again" My router has always been set with DHCP on and has always found and id'd whatever I hook up.

I have only tried one of the two cameras so far.......................

Thanks for any help.

Rick

Wow, what a difference between the Swann and the Lorex!!!!!! same firmware even!

...Based on past experience: Hooked her up through my POE switch which is hooked to my router. My HFW 2100 has been humming on it without a miss for weeks. No IP address for the Swann on my router as has happened with all other ip cams I have tried. After all else shown below I called Swann. They said this cam does not have a default ip address and is set default to DHCP so my router should give it the ip address. I also tried a command prompt.....ipconfigure with nothing. Based on forum help: Next downloaded the iVMS4000 from HIK as Q described. When I fire up that program and go through the steps Q so thoroughly presented for finding the cam, it will not find the camera. Then I also tried the camera finder app. It also comes up blank for finding the camera....

Rick, change your IP4 config as follows...

IP Address: 192.0.0.100

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.0.0.1

(Don't worry about the DNS servers)

After reconfiguring your computer reboot it because why not waste some more time. Make certain that your computer and your Swan camera are plugginto the same router and that the camera is getting power. It takes the camera a few minutes to boot so be patient. Then start your broswer which will timeout and not be able to find your home page (this is normal when you change your IP address like you just did). Then enter 192.0.0.64 in your browser address bar and hit enter. Login with admin>12345 (if I remember right). Once you are logged in, change the IP address to a static address which matches your local area network scheme and save your changes. Then, change your computer's IP address back to the way it originally was. Then restart your broswer and browse to the static IP address your assigned to your camera. That should do it bro.

Hooked her up through my POE switch which is hooked to my router. My HFW 2100 has been humming on it without a miss for weeks. No IP address for the Swann on my router as has happened with all other ip cams I have tried. After all else shown below I called Swann. They said this cam does not have a default ip address and is set default to DHCP so my router should give it the ip address.

This is where it's handy to have a managed Poe switch. You could log into your switch to verify that the camera is drawing power. If you don't have a managed switch, you can try covering up the photocell to see if the IR LEDs turn on.

OK, my 4x Swann came and I hooked it up to my new POE switch

the switch is working fine ads I hae a laptop hooked up to it also.

I can see the camera started up and getting POE (from switch indicator lights)

HOW THE HECK DO I CONNECT TO THE CAMERA!?!

the skimmpy "user guide" it came with don't say anything about IP it kinda assume u are hooking it up to their NVR.

No CD or anything else is included. Is there a utility that can help me find the MAC/IP of the camera?

for some reason my Router don't seem to see it (or not refresh yet)

@gencom

Please read Qs post above re:changing your ip4 config to access the camera.

Thank you Q, once again. Got right into her by following your instructions.

How did you get that info, from Swann? They had no clue today when I called. Much easier and different than your first tutorial with the iVMS4000 software(which I will now uninstall).

I also have her up in BI too. Lots of stuff to play with on the web interface.

Thanks again for the help Q.

Rick

@gencom

Please read Qs post above re:changing your ip4 config to access the camera.

Thank you Q, once again. Got right into her by following your instructions.

How did you get that info, from Swann? They had no clue today when I called. Much easier and different than your first tutorial with the iVMS4000 software(which I will now uninstall).

I also have her up in BI too. Lots of stuff to play with on the web interface.

Thanks again for the help Q.

Rick

That was quick! thanks.

I was half way find out the solution via googling.

ran the HIKvision IVM400 and it see all my cameras. (so apprantely all the cameras have default static IP of 192.0.0.64 with DHCP disabled. so thats why my router can't see it)

Now to configure it..

DARN!! though the system I have Blue Iris just shutdown and now it won't start up.. seems like it blew a mobo. I had another identical unit (Fujitsu Esprimo Q910) like that blow a mobo or psu (it's on a single board). Now I have to reinstall on another system..

Where is the latest firmware file for this camera located?

the one I got is

FIRMWARE VERSION: V4.0.9 130106

ENCODING VERSION: V4.0 build 121228

WOW with this cam you really have to be tech savy to get working. (at least without their standalone NVR )

Looks like you got into the camera just fine. That is the same firmware mine have. I have not made up my mind about putting the latest Hik firmware in them. I want to play with them as is for awhile and peruse more info on the latest Hik firmware before I change anything.

Tech savy........not so much. If I could do it, anybody can.

ok I got around to configuring the swann cams to my network subnet and it's associated setting.

now to

- configure a spare PC to run BI (of all days this thing just died on me)

- find out how to connect BI to the cams

What are the settings for BI to connect to the cam? (hate to read through 23 pages of this thread to find it again) thanks in advance

UPDATE: I got BI to talk to the camera and can "record direct to disc"

what is the optimal setting u guys suggest on the swann imge/video setting?

my current setting is:

-media stream

-video stream

-1920x1080

-constant bitrate

-max bitrate

-6 fps (on BI recording fps is also 6fps)

- I Frame interval: 6 (though not sure what it does)

...I also have her up in BI too. Lots of stuff to play with on the web interface...

It sure is fun to play with, isn't it Kevin.

ok I got around to configuring the swann cams to my network subnet and it's associated setting.

now to

- configure a spare PC to run BI (of all days this thing just died on me)

- find out how to connect BI to the cams

What are the settings for BI to connect to the cam? (hate to read through 23 pages of this thread to find it again) thanks in advance

UPDATE: I got BI to talk to the camera and can "record direct to disc"

what is the optimal setting u guys suggest on the swann imge/video setting?

my current setting is:

-media stream

-video stream

-1920x1080

-constant bitrate

-max bitrate

-6 fps (on BI recording fps is also 6fps)

- I Frame interval: 6 (though not sure what it does)

You may need to drop the bitrate if your video is jerky or if it has network dropouts, but the latest BI update (3.23.05) appears to have gotten rid of the Hik/Swann network dropouts (though not on the Dahua). Excellent support!

You guys that got a right side fuzzy/soft Swann, what did Swann do about it? One of the two I got has the soft right edge. Just curious how it has been resolved or if it has been resolved.

Thanks

Rick

They will replace it just call them and tell them you have a camera with a right side that's blurry. There is no software fix for it

They will replace it just call them and tell them you have a camera with a right side that's blurry. There is no software fix for it

Who is "they?" Costco or Swan?

I think "they" is Swann. Costco either takes it all back or nada.

Glad to hear that as these are sweeet little cameras.