timlab1955

Newbie and In Need of Help

I hope I'm posting this in the right place and if I am great, if not if someone could post it where it needs to be I thank you. I'm new to this CCTV stuff and I need some help fast, as this is the only week I can get either one of the two systems I'm thinking about. I hope with this boards help I will pick the right one.

First the reason why I need a CCTV system. I live out in no mans land as my driveway is about 1/4 mile long. There is nothing around me but wildlife and 4 cats and 2 horses (a barn) and the house. I would like to know what my horses are doing while out in the pasture and while inside the barn. And of course who is coming up my driveway.

I have looked at these two systems: One from home depot called

Defender8 CH 500 GB Hard Drive Surveillance System with (8) 600 TVL Cameras Model #21025

Link:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203267390?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=security+camera&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=203267390

Another one from our military store called: Lorex 8 Channel Security DVR with 8 Super Resolution Security Cameras

Link:

https://shop.aafes.com/shop/Product.aspx?dept_id=14101&PFID=Q155F&gid=&AskReturn=search

Because of the limit of funds, which system would be better from watching something at night (inside the barn) and during the day out in my pasture (Camera to object is about 400').

THanks

Neither of those systems are going to be ideal.

They both appear to be IR Cameras, there is absolutely no way that they will cast enough IR light to be usefull to anyhting that is a long way away, also they seem to have fixed lenses - which will be far too wide, ie they will have a very shallow depth of field, lastly one of them was 12v and the distance you may want to mount the cameras from the recorder may not suit.

How far will the camera be away from the recorder.

Although it may be more expensive, perhaps you could use a PTZ camera - if there is some form of power at the gate you could use a relay to trigger the PTZ camera to turn and zoom in on the gate once it is opened - also it would give you control over moving the camera to take a look at animals.