bass1176

Kindly help with a good dome camera

Ive been hit by new terms such as Effio e and p and superhad ii, 700tvl. One would normaly think this would be the best cam to buy at 700tvl, but from researching here its not always the case.

The environment they will be used in is a well lit hallways, so they dont have to have super Ir illumination. Can someone here recommend good dome cams with up to date technology.

Ebay has been good to me so I dont mind going to ebay. I found some private sites are selling the same thing as ebays for a much higher cost. With the ebay members having 100% feed and selling thousands.

So whether ebay or private sites, if the price is fair and I get support then its worth it. But kindly share some models I can look into. Much appreciated.

I don't find EBay to be a great place to find deals now that there is such a high percentage of stores and Buy It Now "auctions". You can usually find things cheaper on .coms than EBay. Try pricegrabber.com or shopping.google.com. The real cheapo no-name EBay stuff is generally worth what they charge for it- not much. Sometimes you get lucky and video quality is decent but then you have to wonder about when it's going to die on you. Often installation, setup, and maintenance cost more than the cameras do, so why stick your neck out for cheap crap in a work environment? If you're stuck with analog, then for a business something like a CNB Monalisa dome with the features I wanted (I use a couple of VCM-24VFs outside but probably should've gone with the VBB-24VF WDR model) would probably be the lowest quality I'd start with (which isn't bad and performs very well in low light for a colour camera), and then probably jump to a Bosch at a bit over 2x the price of a CNB but with better quality and reliability.

I guess some of the above advice depends on who owns the building/business, what's the budget, does budget realistically match the need, and who'll be doing the installation.

Much appreciated for your input, will look at pricegrabber.

When searching for types of chips, will a super had II by sony, be the same kind of chip in every make? So if Bosch is using a Superhad II it will be the same as a QVIS SuperHad II?

Whats the best chipset currently in the market? I noticed the Superhad II are most expensive, but I see some boasting Effip sensors and dont know the difference between a Superhad II and an Effio. Both are claiming 700TVL. Some combine the two terms, while others use either or. Is an Effio the latest technology?

I have added Bosch to my search terms and I thank you.

My understanding is that unfortunately there are multiple levels of performance within Sony lines of the same name. This is outside of whatever else each camera manufacturer chooses to pair with the chips. I was looking into that exact thing about a week ago but couldn't manage to find the new link on Sony's site with that information. There was an older link on here with that information but it was broken. Hopefully someone else can help out?

Yeah, this is like buying a PC because it's got Intel Inside - it means something, but not a lot. Everyone using the chips will have their own issues and design compromises, especially in the budget range, plus you have to trust the vendor to be telling the truth.

A camera's TVL rating depends on the lens, sensor, chipset, and processing software, and the weakest link will limit your total TVL. A 700TVL sensor with a junk lens won't give you good resolution.

Best bet is to find reviews of specific cams, and see what people say about them. Amazon's a pretty good place for that. This lets out a lot of no-name ebay cams, since there's no way to tell who made it or which model it is.

Thanks a lot guys, I picked up some of these Bosch VDC-44 5 V0 3-20, I cant find the type of sensors but was happy that they were of the brand and 540TVLs. Any feedback on these? Didnt need IR as the hallways are well lit. Only got them cause they were used and they had a bunch of them in stock. MSRP was 210 so Im hopping they match that in quality. your input is greatly appreciated as I can cancel by tomorrow till 8am. Cheers.

I've no experience with that model (or if I do I didn't know I was watching video from that model). It's a lower end Bosch with no WDR but should be good in indoor areas with no bright sunlight. Hope you got a good deal buying used.

This is the specs page, yea pretty good I think averaging 30 each.

http://stna.resource.bosch.com/documents/Data_sheet_enUS_2019666827.pdf

What grabbed me was the 540 TVLs, and the brand, so hope they are descent for indoors.

Will update you once installed for sure. Anyone with more info please chime in.

Iam going to purchase one of the cheap effio-e 700TVLs from china and see how they compare.

Thank you much for all the help.

I've no experience with that model (or if I do I didn't know I was watching video from that model). It's a lower end Bosch with no WDR but should be good in indoor areas with no bright sunlight. Hope you got a good deal buying used.

You think I should be concerned about no WDR? It will be around florescent type lamps and one entrance with some sunlight during the day. Maybe ill get a few with WDR for the entrances? I researched WDR a bit too late after you mentioned it, thank you for sharing your knowledge with others mate, much appreciated. Also any idea of the type of sensors or chips these use?

I just got a Vitek model VTD-A2812/I indoor dome camera and am very happy with it. Here is the manufacturer's page with the specifications of it:

http://www.vitekcctv.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=691

Will get two of these as they have WDR for the doorways. Thank you for sharing your experience. I keep seeing this over and over, Customers who got superhad II are most satisfied.

Should I even mess with these?

Model: ESC4-N / 700TVL Sony SuperHAD II CCD / Nextchip DSP Dome CCTV - 24IR - 3.6mm Fixed

camera.thumb.jpg.967cf58868196e55aad9a47ff993db20.jpg

Now thinking of returning these due to no WDR as I remember seeing a set of cameras that wouldnt adjust to light condition and they just sucked. Keep the recommendations coming please. Cant afford the Vteks on all 7 cams.

WDR helps in conditions where there's extremely bright light and shade. If a non-WDR cam adjusts to the shade then the sunny areas are almost white and washed out. If it adjusts to the sun then the shaded area suffers. They're fine in areas where lighting is all the same, especially indoors with no windows. Pros either stick good cams everywhere or match cameras to locations where they'll perform well to save the customer some money. No sense sticking a $1000 camera with useless features in a location that would be well served with a $200 bargain.

I'd have no problems buying a cam with a Super HAD II chip in it but that doesn't mean that all cams with that chip have good video quality and are reliable. It's kind of like saying that Cam X is connected with name brand cable to the DVR so the video has to be good when all it does is ensure that one link of the chain isn't bad. All it takes is one weak link. I'd spend more time looking at brand reputation and owner experiences than what chip is in the cam. For instance, if you're shopping on price and insist on a good chip (which is probably more expensive than a bad chip), then imagine what other corners may have been cut by the manufacturer to give you the more expensive chip in a cheap cam. Did they skimp by buying cheap lenses? How about shopping the discount bin for capacitors? Sourcing circuit boards from a new cheap but yet unproven factory? It's a bit of a crap shoot anyway because even name brand stuff can fail, but you're a lot more likely to get cams with much fewer performance and reliability weaknesses.

If it were me and I got a smoking good deal on some Bosch cams then I'd take it and see how I liked them. If they had some weaknesses in tricky locations then upgrade those locations. I'm not a pro, but even pros will usually err on the side of overkill to make sure of good quality at a given location. If you want to save time and money, don't start at the bottom and hope for miracles. Start with midrange name brand gear which will work in many locations and upgrade the tricky locations that need it. Costs a bit more up front but you're more likely to be happy with the long-term performance and reliability.

Personally, if I were to start a system from scratch for a business situation, I'd skip analog and look at lower end network cameras. If I were tempted by a VERY harsh starting budget to do analog I'd wire with Cat5 and baluns to the analog cams to make future switching to network cams easy. Even a $160 ACTi 1mp indoor dome (check D51 domes, with $210 E51 WDR 1mp domes available for tricky spots) will give way better detail (especially recorded detail) than a much more expensive analog camera. $160 for a megapixel cam from a "real" company complete with warranty? Even aliexpress pricing on Dahuas wouldn't tempt me from that deal.

I really want to thank you cow and everyone who participated, I have changed my search habits indeed, and found a world of great cameras out there, even some old makes like the ge ultra view and just exploring companies that have the funds to test before printing their brand on any housing.

I decided to keep the Bosh as no need for WDR in most of the building and got two viteks for the entrances and I want to thank you all for sharing.

I will update this thread and post some pics if I ever get the chance showing the difference between the vitek and the Bosch at work.

Iam even investigating ip cameras and had a panosonic PTZ one myself a few years back when they came out, would love to see what a 5mp looks like at work but can imagine the data collected will be hard to handle. Avi vs h.264 analog vs ipare all in mind now, thank you much to all. And will be back in a month or so with some pics. Cheers, zack.

Guys I setup the VITEK VTD-A2812/IW and another no name but from a reputable dealer cam, and the Vitek has horizontal annoing lines crossing the screen, very faint and not noticeable but unsatisfactory. Was very dissapointed but Iam hopping its a settings issue, I connected another cam to these lines to rule out a possible connectivity issue.

Once I setup the internet I will let you have a look at it, and hopefully its a setting issue. Which I messed with most till I ran out of options. Will let you see shortly.

Guys the Bosch cams are producing crisp images, I have never seen such clear images before. They beat any of these Sony cams I have purchased from the dot coms. I cant thank you enough and once everything is online I will show pics of the 3 types of cams I have installed. Vitek, Bosch and a sony no name from a .com, Bosch was beyond my expectations. They are also adjusting to different light settings fast, and wondering if they are indeed WDR. One thing I have not tested them in low light as of yet and hope they dont let me down, but the lighting is not that bad in these halls. Highly recommend the Bosh Dome.

Couldnt have done it without your recommendation.Thank you for coming to the rescue. If you come across them please give them a try, I cant get over how crisp the images are. Much appreciated. I have to give back and try to post some pics once they go online. Cheers.