PluffMud

ACTi E31 acceptable video? Sample night video included...

UPDATED!

ORIGINAL: I recently got an ACTi E31 and haven't been impressed with the night time (or daytime for that matter) video quality. I'm wondering if something is wrong with my camera or is this the expected quality?

EDIT: It was pointed out that the IR LEDs were not enabled on the ACTi E31 in the original video I posted (at the bottom of this post)...this explains why it looked SO terrible!

With the LEDs enabled the ACTi definitely looks better to the point where I don't know if I would've posted a comparison. With that said, would you say it's marginally better than the Foscam or a lot better??

Here's updated comparison videos between the ACTi E31 and Foscam 8904W (hardwired):

ACTi E31 video of people on bikes riding by (video has gap due to me restarting manual record):

Foscam 8904W video of people on bikes riding by (video has gap due to me restarting manual record):

ACTi E31 video of car passing by:

Foscam 8904W video of car passing by:

-----------------------------------

Original video of ACTi with no IR LEDs (other than the light provided by the Foscam)...

ACTi E31 video (NOTE: IR LEDS DISABLED...):

http://youtu.be/c92hImtsxK0

Foscam 8904W video (mounted 5 feet above ACTi) (NOTE: IR LEDS ENABLED):

Edited by Guest

Have you confirmed that the IR leds are working? You have lighting in the distance which is obvious to the camera...It looks as if the leds aren't casting any light from the camera. Maybe try using the foscams led lighting and shine it around the yard to see the E31's cameras sensitivity to it?

Either there's something wrong with the camera, or you configured it way wrong. Start by updating the firmware to the latest version, that helps as there's some noise reduction and wdr options not available in the shipped version.

Update the firmware first off, then turn WDR off totally for testing. Then in exposure and white balance reduce the AE reference target to like 50, then adjust around until you find the best setting for your lighting.

I use WDR only when needed and then only at low, it is usually making the images much worse in my e31 cameras so far anyway. Out of 60+ installed it has only been useful on maybe 10 of them. Shutter speed is usually at 1/30th for my cameras, but you might play around with the settings to see what works best for you again. It will go clear down to 1/5th, but it will sure be blurry for motion then!

I get MUCH better images on my e31 cameras, so it is possible even in low light situations like most of mine are.

Doh! Thanks Agent! The IR was set to 'Disabled'. I've changed the settings back-and-forth so many times to get the best image and I forgot to turn it back on. The IR from the Foscam provided some light but not the same as the ACTi LED's.

I turned the IR on and it looks better...I'll post an updated video within a couple hours and make a note in my original post.

I also have day snapshots comparing the Foscam to the ACTi.

1.) To increase manual record time, go to program settings and click the "software" tab (I think?). There should be a check box you can un-check to remove a limit on manual recording times.

2.) You presumably have these cameras installed to capture activity on your lawn. I'd be curious to see results of someone walking by or anything close range. The only reason I mention this is because sometimes cameras will make themselves look attractive in low light conditions, but in order to do this they will reduce shutter speed to something below 1/30 second. This causes motion blur. I'm curious if the Foscam will do this to you or if both do. I would hope the ACTi would, by default, never let itself go below 1/30.

I note that your camera does the same thing I used to have happening, where the video has that two or three second loop where you can see a visible "reset" in the picture quality. No idea of the cause, but it was really bad in my Exacq NVR software until the last update of the software that fixed it.

Highly annoying when it was happening though!

Is WDR off in the video? What is your shutter setting and auto exposure set to? Still looks grainier that I'm used to seeing on my e31 cameras, but it varies by location.

Is WDR off in the video? What is your shutter setting and auto exposure set to? Still looks grainier that I'm used to seeing on my e31 cameras, but it varies by location.

WDR is ON, Shutter setting is 1/30, Auto Exposure set to the default 128. Turning WDR off is a little less grainy but it's not very noticeable. Should I change the Auto Exposure settings? What settings are you using?

I noticed the visible 'resetting' artifact in the video and was wondering about that...I just assumed that was due to the H.264 encoding b/c MJPEG doesn't act the same way. Is H.264 not supposed to look like that?

I have the E31 set to 1/30 as the slowest shutter speed per the recommendations of others. I don't think shutter speed can be set in the Foscam.

Here's the settings for the E31:

* Resolution: 1280x720

* Frame rate: 30

* Encoder Type: H.264

* Video Bit Rate Mode: Variable Bit Rate (I've changed to Constant Bit Rate since then)

* Quality: High

* GOP 1 I-frame: 2 seconds

* Brightness: 50

* Contrast: Lowest

* Slowest Auto Shutter Speed: 1/30.

* WDR set to 'High'

* Noise Reduction: ON

* Exposure Mode: Auto

* White Balance: Auto

* AE Reference Target: 128

I suggest to use constant bitrate, and make sure the bitrate level is sufficient. The default bitrate level of the camera is for the default resolution (e.g. 1080p). If you bought a 3MP or 5MP camera and you decided to change the default 1080p to a higher resolution, you have to increase the bitrate level, too.

If you keep too small bitrate level, you are not allowing enough data to describe the high resolution image, and there will be data shortage, especially for the last few frames of each second. As a result, the last few frames of each second may be more blur and it sharpens again with the new I-frame.

This is a useful rule of thumb that applies to all the IP cameras across manufacturers.

Have a nice day there!

I suggest to use constant bitrate, and make sure the bitrate level is sufficient. The default bitrate level of the camera is for the default resolution (e.g. 1080p). If you bought a 3MP or 5MP camera and you decided to change the default 1080p to a higher resolution, you have to increase the bitrate level, too.

If you keep too small bitrate level, you are not allowing enough data to describe the high resolution image, and there will be data shortage, especially for the last few frames of each second. As a result, the last few frames of each second may be more blur and it sharpens again with the new I-frame.

This is a useful rule of thumb that applies to all the IP cameras across manufacturers.

Have a nice day there!

Hey Ando, that is great information! Do have a table with recommended bit rates for various resolutions?

Wow that's great thanks! It means a lot to have a representative for a camera brand on here providing very helpful answers (in addition to all the other knowledgeable people on here)!

1/30th is a good setting and what you should strive for, but the AE setting is a little high by default in my experience anyway. I would lower it to something like 80 and set WDR to low or off and see what it does to it at night.

During the day WDR did not make a big difference in quality, but at night it made most shots much more grainy in my lighting anyway. Play with the settings at night and see what looks good. Moving the shutter to 1/15th will double your light, but will be blurry so set it and record and walk around and see what it looks like for you. Some times it is fine, other times it is unacceptable.

When you set the settings on the camera and are happy with final results be sure to save and reboot the camera or they will not always remember the settings it was at. Just something I have noticed with these, and all ACTi cameras really.

The "reset" is not normal for ACTi cameras that I have, but it is normal on the e31 cameras so far. The new software in Exacq eliminated that problem for me so I'm not siue where exactly the problem lies, if it's firmware in camera or that NVR software has to be updated for the new chips that the new e series cameras are using.