Sign in to follow this  
casualbeta

What to do now with my network and DVR?

Hello DVR forums,

I've been to this forum a few times and you guys seem to be great. But on to business; right now the network that I have setup goes like this: The internet is connected to a Modem/Router (TD-W8960N and also has the external IP address) which then connected to a simple router (TL-WR1043ND which as a internal IP address) which is in turn connected to a DVR set that I want to view over the internet along with the PC that I am connected to (as well as making this post).

As you can see it's a quite a mess. And I did made a post about this few weeks ago and one poster recommended that either I can simply connect the DVR to the Modem/Router and port forward it to that. However if I connect the DVR to Modem/Router then I may need to have my PC be connected to the Modem/Router as well. This that true? Meaning do I have to have my PC be connected to the modem/router as the DVR

Another idea that the poster made is to do a "double port forwarding" meaning I would have to first port forward the router on the modem/router and which I would port forward the DVR on the router that is port forwarded on to the modem/router. That idea unfortunely that did not work.

There is a third option (which to be honest is quite tricky) and this was brought up by Tech Support that I called a few days ago. They say that if I wanted to keep my network as it is then would suggest this: one, I would disable DHCP on my router (which will turn it in to a wireless switch), two set up a static IP address for my PC. And three, port forward the DVR to the Modem/Router. The problem that I have with this that if try to set a static IP for my PC the computer would automatically detect that and would turn the DHCP on my PC back on. Does this mean I should try to set the static IP after I have turned off the DHCP on the router?

Please help, this is a real problem and it giving me a headache.

Any help would be great.

-CasualBeta

You could try enabling DMZ in the simple router and put the address of the dvr in it. DMZ is not as secure as specific port forwarding as it bypasses your firewall. But people use it all the time- especially gamers. I've never had to do this, but many times along the way I've read DMZ can be a last resort setting if all else fails. Just make sure your router has a strong password, and also change the dvr default admin password if you haven't already.

You could try enabling DMZ in the simple router and put the address of the dvr in it. DMZ is not as secure as specific port forwarding as it bypasses your firewall. But people use it all the time- especially gamers. I've never had to do this, but many times along the way I've read DMZ can be a last resort setting if all else fails. Just make sure your router has a strong password, and also change the dvr default admin password if you haven't already.

shockwave199, I've tried that just after reading your post and well...nothing happened. And based on what I have read from your post about DMZ I'll skip that idea.

Anyways, I've decided to try the first option on my initial post. It ended up working to a degree. While the port was open (I tested the port forwarding by using the website "You Get Signal".) When I try entering the external IP address (and the DNS address) it failed to connect. What might have happened? And also do I need to connect the PC to the modem/router along with the DVR?