M3NF

New member requiring PTZ advice.

First can i say hi to everyone, and i found some great articles from the forum.

I run a NHW (Neighbourhood Watch) group and been using CCTV for the last 4 years now, with some great results. My current setup is a unbranded 8 channel cif 16fps recorder link with 8 x 480 tvl 6mm IR cameras.

I decided its time to upgrade to allow me to add more cameras, and improve quality. I just brought a 16 channel D1 25fps per channel DVR and also 3 new anti vandal dome camera's (600tvl 6mm lens again) but i would like to also add a PTZ camera that can focus more of cars entering our area.

I have a good clear run of the road to use a PTZ, i will be locating it about 20-30 meters from the DVR and read i will need to upgrade the psu to cope with the drop in voltage.

From all my readings so far i now know what i would need. It will need to be outdoor with IR capability, but able to have at least a 10x optical zoom, from my understanding tvl is not so important but a better lens is more needed. Is this correct ? I have a max of £200 on a single PTZ as this will be coming out of my own pocket.

When looking at cameras (via eBay) its hard to get something within this price group (even harder locally sourced), am i over reaching trying to get something at the price level, or am i aiming to high spec and will have to lower my requirements.

When i look at the PTZ cameras i still unsure what the important info i am needing to check first, would i be correct in saying Lens ( f=3.9-85.8mm) then Sensor size (Sony 1/3" Exvierw CCD Effio DSP) then TVL, or would it be a different way ?

Any advice would be great, i am from the UK if that helps any, any links to cameras would also be great if allowed.

Thank you

Mathew

If possible i still would like any help from someone, i like to hopefully place an order from eBay or another company that can supply me with a camera in the costs range of £200-250.

IMHO having PTZ is useless unless you have someone watching the monitor 24/7 to do the PTZing. Otherwise it will just be looking in the wrong direction when you need it.

Save money and get one or more better quality fixed cameras to cover the area as required.

Thanks for your reply, the problem is i been asked by about 5-6 residents now to cover there homes that live a little distance so i would need for to zoom with a fixed camera, the main reason i wanted a PTZ would be to program it to go from one house to the next, allowing just one camera to do the job of 6, plus if more people wanted homes covered i could easily change the program.