jtok4j

Connect a camera using a wireless link. (Will this work?)

Hi All,

These forums have answered some of my questions already! Fantastic!

A friend of mine has asked me to connect an outside camera to his Samsung SME-2220N DVR system, from about 300 meters away. They don't want to run a cable this distance.

The Samsung DVR is inside their main building. What they want is a single camera watching a gate near the end of their property, which has several buildings by the gate. These buildings and gates are about 300m away from the main buildings.

They've already got the camera (Samsung SDC-2080P) and I'm tasked to connect it somehow...

So, here's my plan which needs some critiquing. (See the attached quick sketch attached to this posting for a visual of the plan) The camera gets locally powered and mounted outside the buildings, and connects to a coax (RG59) cable with a BNC connector attaching the camera. That coax cable runs for 50 meters through the buildings, where the other end has an RCA connector which plugs into a wireless transmitter (possibly this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/200863132641?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 ) which only has RCA connectors. This wireless video transmitter sends the signal through the 300m of open space, with no trees in between to the top of the other (taller) building, where the receiver gets the signal. The receiver (also with RCA jacks) sends the signal through the connected coax cable (this end has an RCA plug attached) and send the video about 100m to the waiting Samsung DVR's BNC port.

Is this do-able? (Right now, it's only theory, but I gotta make something for them that works the first time, 'cause we're in a really remote location in the Himalayas...)

I think that the idea is possible, but (for example) I'm not sure if the receiver of the wireless video transmitting device will be able to send (through its RCA jacks connected to the coax cable) the video as far as 100 meters to the DVR...

(I'm asking all this, since the seller of the wireless video transmitter, told me that I couldn't hook the transmitter up to a cable attached to a BNC jack on the DVR. He's convinced that the video won't go from the RCA jacks, through the coax cable, and into the BNC jack on the DVR... This I find odd, so I'm posting here, trying to find out what's true!)

Other thought: Maybe I'll need a video amplifier between the wireless receiver and the Samsung DVR, in order to get the signal intact through the 100m of coax?

Thanks for your thoughts and input!

1709848469_wirelesssecuritycamwdimension.thumb.JPG.1d0a4e044f399f2721832373f2d9aab4.JPG

Not sure what the problem would be here the distances and most importantly the line of sight should all be good (assuming nobody is transmitting with similar frequency in the path). Whether a video cable has an F, RCA or BNC connector on it should not matter either as long as you have adapters or crimp/solder on appropriate connectors. It is possible that the cheap device wont push the video signal out 100 meters, I would take his word on it and move to another wireless TX/RX device, it looks cheap anyway. So yes a video amplifier would work but would be better to go with a device that didnt need it.

(I'm asking all this, since the seller of the wireless video transmitter, told me that I couldn't hook the transmitter up to a cable attached to a BNC jack on the DVR. He's convinced that the video won't go from the RCA jacks, through the coax cable, and into the BNC jack on the DVR... This I find odd, so I'm posting here, trying to find out what's true!)

this seller has no clue - i would avoid buying from him for that reason alone.

i would also be surprised if you actually got a solid, reliable video feed over that 300m.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna ditch that wireless supplier and find a new one.

My only question that I'm still bothered about is this: How can I know if the receiver will have enough power to send the video signal through the RCA Video port through the coax cable (RG59) which is about 100m...? Will it make it?

I've read that if I were to attach a thin RCA cable to the transmitter, it might go 30-60m max, and I'm wondering what actually factors into whether the video signal gets all the way to the end?

If I'm using a coax cable with a RCA plug on the end, plugged into the receiver, will the coax cable be able to take the signal farther? (Is it the cable deciding how far the signal will travel? )

All this is really to find out whether I'm gonna need a video amp or not...

Thanks for the feedback!