PluffMud

Differences: Axis P3364-VE vs. P3384-VE

I'm about to buy one of these cameras and want to make sure I understand the differences. Am I giving up ANYTHING if I go with the P3384-VE?

Other than the focal length being slightly different (max 12mm vs. 9mm) and a minor difference in aperture (1.4 vs. 1.2) the main difference I can see is the P3384-VE has WDR (with dynamic capture) right?

Both are the same resolution and both have Lightfinder so I would be paying more to see what the enhanced WDR can do.

I've been going back-and-forth as to whether I need either Lightfinder and/or enhanced WDR so I figure getting the P3384-VE would let me try all the options.

I'll post my review on the P3384-VE on Saturday morning but here's the deal, yes, the difference is the P3384 has WDR, what they don't tell you is that it's a toggle between WDR and Lightfinder, so you can't have both on at the same time, duh. So if you want this because of Lightfinder, avoid the P3384 because you won't be able to do WDR and without Lightfinder, this camera does not do well at night at all.

So here's my recommendation because I've already reviewed 3 different P33's and the best deal is the P3367-VE, 5MP, WDR and pretty darn close to the same low light sensitivity as the P3384-VE and the WDR works better, don't ask me why, it's not "dynamic capture" but I get a better view of plate numbers in between headlights.

All I can say is wait for the review and make up your own mind.

Wow thanks for that info b/c I was going to purchase the P3384 tonight!!! I will definitely wait for your review! With almost the same sensor size I would expect the lower resolution P3384 to have superior night time capability than the 5MP P3367...especially with Lightfinder enabled on the P3384. I can't wait to see sample video

Even if LightFinder and enhanced WDR can't be used together the P3384 still would be useful to figure out what I need...except you say the non-enhanced WDR on the P3367 actually works better and the P3367 has very close low light capabilities of the P3384?!? My head is spinning

Possibly because you can probably setup a scheduled event that sends an URL command to the camera to switch. So you would have WDR during the day and Lightfinder at night then.

If you are doing this to see plates between headlights at night, actually the P3367 was way better at that than the P3384 with WDR or Lightfinder on. You'll see the video tomorrow, I tried rear tail lights, headlights, and I was disappointed because we are looking at a Q1604 for LPR and was hoping the P3384, because its buzzword compliant with the Q1604 would work but no. I'm hoping the LPR company gets the certification they need to run their app inside the P3367 in time for our project.

I hear ya, that's what why I'm looking at a Axis Q1604 with a good 5-50mm lens so we can that tight shot and light up the area with a strong illuminator to reduce the contrast of the lights and plate. The plate doesn't have to be readable at all locations, the car will have to pass a point where the software will recognize the plate. Did look at Avigilon but they don't have an in-camera LPR solution that I can found.

Can you toggle WDR/Lightfinder on a schedule?

yes you can. the 3384 lets you toggle modes based on a number of triggers, including schedules, and external inputs. the only thing it doesn't do is trigger based on light level... at least, not directly. it *will* let you toggle when the camera switches between day and night (icr) modes; however, in one particular situation, i found this a bit tricky, because the camera would switch to night/b&w/icr-out, then the lightfinder would kick in, the picture would get brighter, and it would then switch back to day/color/icr-in, which in turn would trigger the switch back to wdr, at which point the image would get dark enough again to initiate the switch back to night mode... and on it would go, all night or until the ugly lights came up.

i could have tweaked exposure levels to avoid this, i'm sure, but i found it just as easy to program a schedule into the camera (you don't have to do it through a url). i have a dozen or so of these in a restaurant/lounge using wdr in the day and lightfinder at night (when the lights dim down), and they're spectacular.

Thanks to your suggestion and your reviews of both the P3367 (the 5MP you recommended in the previous posts) and the P3384 I went ahead and ordered the P3367 !!! Based on the low light performance of the P3367 I may get a Lightfinder-enabled camera for a different spot. I just saw that Axis is coming out with a new day/night 2MP mini dome (the M3025-VE) which might be perfect for most of my needs. Depending on the price I'll probably buy that when it comes out.

I don't have anything in the same price point to compare the P3367 to right now but within a month I'm getting several of the ACTi KCM-5611's for someone else that I can use to do a comparison in my environment. ...even though your reviews do an EXCELLENT job of highlighting the capabilities of the cameras!

Thanks for all who contributed...VERY good info about the toggle between Lightfinder and WDR " title="Applause" />