ssmith10pn

UTC (GE) Facility Commander

I've heard that as well... I was an InfoGraphics installer for many years, and saw the product through the GE Security and ultimately UTC acquisitions. Its unfortunate that nobody ever figured out how to get any traction with the ACU hardware, it is some of the most stable stuff I've used in my decade of Access/Video installation. Some of my largest accounts were Diamond II with ACU RS4's and RRE's.

I've been reluctantly installing FCWnx for some time now, since 7.0. There are a number of things I don't like about the software, mainly the Casi implementation of "Person" and "Credential" being on two distinct forms. This adds a huge learning curve for first time installs when people are green to the concept of access control anyway. I also despise how they used DCOM instead of hosting their own sockets, and the way they require you to enter a unique employee number before adding a new Person. I suppose I could go on longer but I should stop.

Part of me was sad when I heard, but after watching GE's identity crisis in the security world transpire to UTC's I think it's better for everyone to put one last nail in the InfoGraphics/Casi-Rusco coffin. They have way too many panels to try to support and it has to be a nightmare to try to consolidate them when they're all on different hardware platforms. The UCSIMM they are using in the new panels is garbage too, takes 10 minutes to flash a controller and if you're lucky it will actually still work when it's done.

They are claiming Lenel will support the Micros and Direct Door with OnGuard 6.6 when I had the training.

We will see.

222634_1.jpg

Micros and Jboxes were by far the easiest wiring concept of any hardware.

The UCSIMM they are using in the new panels is garbage too, takes 10 minutes to flash a controller and if you're lucky it will actually still work when it's done.

Ask me about flashing a PNX+/Micro 2000 by recommendation of tech support and turning it into a brick after I got the "Flash Successful" message. Nice way to lock everyone out of the building!

The UCSIMM they are using in the new panels is garbage too, takes 10 minutes to flash a controller and if you're lucky it will actually still work when it's done.

Ask me about flashing a PNX+/Micro 2000 by recommendation of tech support and turning it into a brick after I got the "Flash Successful" message. Nice way to lock everyone out of the building!

LOL. Happened to me on one of those DirecDoor controllers. How they chose that FPGA and flash method on a device whose uptime is critical is beyond me... I've heard the OnGuard migration strategy too, but have seen that FC 7.8 will be released. Seems to be a multi-step process no doubt, and while I wish them luck in the endeavor; I've been exhausted of any will to ride out the waves!

LOL. Happened to me on one of those DirecDoor controllers. How they chose that FPGA and flash method on a device whose uptime is critical is beyond me... I've heard the OnGuard migration strategy too, but have seen that FC 7.8 will be released. Seems to be a multi-step process no doubt, and while I wish them luck in the endeavor; I've been exhausted of any will to ride out the waves!

UTC told me to push the Firmware update from Controller Monitor in FC. That was a disaster!

We are training up for Software House as a Plan B.

Software House is definitely > Facility Commander. I don't have any experience with Lenel/OnGuard, but everyone jumping on the Mercury hardware bandwagon has me worried... There are a lot of firmware limitations that make the Merc stuff a deal breaker for me. Good luck with SW house, hope the Lenel growing pains don't mess with your business!

I don't know all the details but there was a lawsuit between Mercury and Lenel.

I believe Lenel's NGP panels are not Mercury.

They aren't "Mercury" panels per-se. I believe they have a licensing agreement like Keri to use Mercury firmware. I may be mistaken though.

I don't know all the details but there was a lawsuit between Mercury and Lenel.

I believe Lenel's NGP panels are not Mercury.

They aren't "Mercury" panels per-se. I believe they have a licensing agreement like Keri to use Mercury firmware. I may be mistaken though.

The NGP panels are definitely not Mercury firmware. The aforementioned lawsuit was over Lenel's introduction of their "Universal" boards to replace Mercury boards. The two companies settled their differences, renewed their strategic partnership and Lenel no longer sells the U boards for OnGuard installations.

The NGP panels are definitely not Mercury firmware. The aforementioned lawsuit was over Lenel's introduction of their "Universal" boards to replace Mercury boards. The two companies settled their differences, renewed their strategic partnership and Lenel no longer sells the U boards for OnGuard installations.

When you say replace do you mean literally hang an RRE2/U board downstream from an EP1502 or EP2500 or do you mean such that their usage of Mercury hardware would be lesser? I have an RRE2/U and an MR52 here, and while there are superficial similarities, unless they actually talk the same RS485 protocol (which as far as I know Merc uses an encrypted serial protocol) I don't know what the argument is about. There must be more than meets the eye to this.

When you say replace do you mean literally hang an RRE2/U board downstream from an EP1502 or EP2500 or do you mean such that their usage of Mercury hardware would be lesser? I have an RRE2/U and an MR52 here, and while there are superficial similarities, unless they actually talk the same RS485 protocol (which as far as I know Merc uses an encrypted serial protocol) I don't know what the argument is about. There must be more than meets the eye to this.

Lenel was selling LNL-1320U reader interfaces as a direct replacement for the mercury made LNL-1320 (MR52). (Lenel still sells the board for use with their NGP panels (NGP-1320U, i think)

I believe this is a Mercury board too.

http://www.sielox.com/AC1700.aspx

I maintain several FC WINX systems. All very large. The smallest being just under 500 readers.

I know FC forwards, backwards, and sideways. Sure am going to miss it.

In a recent call to technical support (UTC/Lenel) I was told that FCWinX should be around for at least another 7 years. Diamond 2 on the other hand....Users better get their upgrade plans in place.