RangerSec

Perfect Cloud Backup Service?

I've seen people say they are using s3 for remote backup but I'm wondering is that the best option out there?

What I would want:

- FTP uploadable

- Full web site features to review footage / manage backups

- Option to auto delete oldest footage after X weeks

- Lots of room for storage

- Less than $20 a month

Do you agree with my wish list?

RS

I've seen people say they are using s3 for remote backup but I'm wondering is that the best option out there?

What I would want:

- FTP uploadable

- Less than $20 a month

RS

"Lots of room for storage" - define "lots" in relation to the demands of streaming video. I didn't bother to do more than perfunctory math on Amazon's S3 product pricing but from what I can gather, it is aimed at occasional backing up of computer data, not continuous streaming. That's why they have both cost-per-gigabyte and cost per access charges.

"Glacier is designed with the expectation that restores are infrequent and unusual, and data will be stored for extended periods of time. You can restore up to 5% of your average monthly Glacier storage (pro-rated daily) for free each month. If you choose to restore more than this amount of data in a month, you are charged a restore fee starting at $0.01 per gigabyte."

I would seriously recommend you do more investigation into the actual difficulties and costs of storing video online, including both the cost to get it there and back (internet bandwidth charges) and the costs to store and retrieve the video. I think you'll find it is more expensive and problematic than you realize.

Well, I'm new here so I won't pretend to know everyone's requirements. But taking a shot:

SD Camera 640x480, 30 frames per second, 20GB/week. HD camera not a ton more if its 15 fps.

So It seems like it should be possible to allow 2 cameras with a 2 weeks of history for $20/month. Or more cameras for the same price if they are motion triggered or low frame rates.

Also maybe a branded option for dealers/installers that would let them own their customers and optionally mark up the price when it includes their support.

Wouldn't there be demand for something with those general parameters? Honestly surprised not to find it right away by googling.

What I would want:

- FTP uploadable

- Less than $20 a month

RS

"Lots of room for storage" - define "lots" in relation to the demands of streaming video. I didn't bother to do more than perfunctory math on Amazon's S3 product pricing but from what I can gather, it is aimed at occasional backing up of computer data, not continuous streaming. That's why they have both cost-per-gigabyte and cost per access charges.

"Glacier is designed with the expectation that restores are infrequent and unusual, and data will be stored for extended periods of time. You can restore up to 5% of your average monthly Glacier storage (pro-rated daily) for free each month. If you choose to restore more than this amount of data in a month, you are charged a restore fee starting at $0.01 per gigabyte."

I would seriously recommend you do more investigation into the actual difficulties and costs of storing video online, including both the cost to get it there and back (internet bandwidth charges) and the costs to store and retrieve the video. I think you'll find it is more expensive and problematic than you realize.

Ok looked at this one, ispy connect, and a few others. They seem like reasonable cloud solutions except for one or more (unnecessary) limitations:

1) Requiring port forwarding, or a computer on site where you have to install and configure software. A cloud solution should allow a cameras only install.

2) There are <= $20/month packages, but they limit you to one camera, or only allow a very small amount of storage.

3) Only works with one camera type

4) No Integrator branding and pricing of the service. It seems like a successful service could allow both a good deal for DIY people and a model where integrators make money by building long term relationships and great customer support.

What about building a new service?

- I know how to make the storage scale and cost effective, anyone with a software background could help out.

- Anyone here who posts feedback on feature set or beta testing would get the service free forever.

Anyone game for a crowd sourcing experiment?

Check out http://www.cameramanager.com/

I have no idea on what they charge, I just know they exist, but I would love to hear back from you if you check it out.