miller502

Help with wide angle camera lens

I just bought a nightowl security camera system and the cameras that came with it only have a 42 degree viewing field with 600tv lines. Can I change the lenses to a wider viewing lens? If so, where do i get them from? Thanks

My camera info:

cm-624

IR cut filter

night vision up to 50ft

600 tv lines

6.0mm 42deg viewing field

I just bought a nightowl security camera system and the cameras that came with it only have a 42 degree viewing field with 600tv lines. Can I change the lenses to a wider viewing lens? If so, where do i get them from? Thanks

My camera info:

cm-624

IR cut filter

night vision up to 50ft

600 tv lines

6.0mm 42deg viewing field

you can changeit to f 4.0 mm or 2.8mm lens

A few things you should check before ordering a lens:

- The lens should match your sensor - 1/3" lens for 1/3" sensor, 1/4" lens for 1/4" sensor. Otherwise, you'll get a different field of view from what you expect.

- You'll need an IR corrected lens. Otherwise, whichever light source you focus with (white or IR), it'll be out of focus on the other.

- A glass lens will give better quality than plastic. The cheapest lenses are often plastic, but not always. Best to find one that specifies glass.

If you have a 1/3" sensor, www.m12lenses.com has had good reviews from other members. If you have 1/4", it's mostly ebay or www.dealextreme.com, which are both a gamble, unless someone else knows a good 1/4" lens source.