Sign in to follow this  
kaon

Fading Long Term Memory? (reducing video detail)

Hi all,

After googling, I see that (a German brand I've never heard of) GEUTEBRÜCK has these fading quality storage products. News articles online about this FLTM feature date back to 2008.

Here's what I imagine FLTM to be:

For example, keep footage at full quality until it is 30 days old, then re-encode with lower mpeg4 quality or lower frame rate and keep for further 60 days. At 90 days of age, it is further compressed for an even longer retention time, and so on.

Does any one else make DVRs with this type of feature built in?

Anyone?

How about systems where face-detected zones are encoded at highest bitrate, while other background scenery are at lowest bitrates?

Any other reason why you are trying to save HDD storage? The price of HDD has droped down so badly, not worthy of the efforts.

Any other reason why you are trying to save HDD storage? The price of HDD has droped down so badly, not worthy of the efforts.

It's true that HDD price has dropped, but to my customer, the ability to retrieve footage from say half a year ago is still important. E.g. Suddenly something crops up today where the footage from half a year ago is important to solve the case.

Right now, the standard deployment is Dahua 2U embedded DVRs (8 SATA), filled with 8 x 4TB = 32 TB, per 16 analog cameras. This gives about 3 months worth of FIFO storage.

We are beginning to deploy 1080p IP cameras at critical locations, but we hope to maintain or further improve in terms of number-of-months worth of FIFO storage.

How many days of storage do *your* customers typically want to have?

Pelco did something like this with the Endura system, but it is not really something that most CCTV systems deal with. Generally if you need the evidence then you need it to be quality evidence, regardless of age. Compression and reduction of frame rate could ruin that. My customers expect quality evidence from every camera for the entire duration of the storage period. Generally if they want an archive, I will spec an additional NAS to do that and then include software/ scripts to automatically archive the video and delete anything on the archive older than the specified archive period.