Sign in to follow this  
custsrvcrep

Protecting a customer FROM corrupt police.

I'm helping a guy I have known for quite a while with a unique concern. He lives in a 3rd world country where police scams and setups are the norm. Two of his friends have been extorted recently and he is trying to protect himself.

He has all the usual security measures (security gates, 4-cam cctv, etc.). However, police are changing their game to avoid being caught on video. They have been shutting power off before their illegal raids ... and dvrs, (and their hard drives), tend to disappear and never be seen again. ("What CCTV unit?") The procedure is to raid, disconnect the cctv, take the foreigner to the ATM, get money to "drop" the "case" (whatever they made up), and then dump the foreigner on the side of the road.

His cctv unit has mail and ftp notification, but only for event triggered video ... which is likely too slow to get offsite before the unit is found.

There is not enough bandwidth to push the video offsite in real-time (and delayed would be a moot point because the dvr would be taken before it could push the latest video). Obviously having UPS systems counteract the cutting of the power, but doesn't help the lack of duplicate evidence.

The first suggestion was manually triggered outdoor solar lighting. I'm still trying to find an example that might work. Normally they are auto-on/off and that won't work in his circumstances.

Then I suggested dome cameras that complement the look of his existing cctv system (and have UPS backups for these cameras) ... except to use cameras with a built in tf cards and with the ability to push still images by email or ftp ... that could be triggered by panic button. I looked for cameras but haven't found anything that show the ability to trigger via a panic-style button or that have low light quality.

He can't hide the cctv unit; and he can't install a second hidden unit (with the cameras looped to the first unit that they can take). Attempting to hide it in the ceiling would subject the unit to extreme heat (excess of 100degrees). The same holds for wiring in a second out-of-box hard drive.

I also thought about a USB camera mounted outside that once triggered, would snap photos ... but couldn't find anything that met these needs.

He is not a million dollar CEO so the budget is under $1000.

Some of the items I found:

Zavio Video server (http://www.zavio.com/product.php?id=69) but can't see how it is manually triggered. Supposedly works with "Most" ip cameras. And a zavio article on time-lapse snapshots ... but no "trigger" method (http://videos.cctvcamerapros.com/security-cameras/ip-camera-time-lapse-photography.html)

Panasonic BL-C160A Outdoor Lighted MPEG-4 Network Camera .... no card, no trigger mechanism, and bad night vision. The indoor products had the same limitations.

This camera had 32g card, and 2 trigger inputs (assuming a panic button counts?). http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/847819740/ipc_hdbw3300_wholesale_dahua_ip_camera.html

Any ideas or suggestions??? Thanks

He can't hide the cctv unit; and he can't install a second hidden unit (with the cameras looped to the first unit that they can take).

One idea went against what I wrote earlier ... there is a way to hide a second unit (dvr), but it would likely get discovered quickly.

But if the 2nd dvr was set up to activate upon an alarm (panic button), the alarm condition would cause it to email or ftp snapshots offsite immediately ...

IF I am on the right track, it would only email/ftp the images from One camera that triggered the alarm condition?? But if the four cameras were fed into a quad and then into the dvr, then the "one" camera would be a quad screen of all four cameras and that is the image that would be sent offsite.

Even if they found and disconnected all equipment, hundreds, if not thousands of images would have already been sent offsite.

Does this sound workable??

Related Post: 2nd unit http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33851

If the police are corrupt who is left to report the evidence to?

In addition, what qualifies as "evidential" video; is not recorded audio also required?

This is a disturbing situation and it sounds like a revolution is needed too.

One idea went against what I wrote earlier ... there is a way to hide a second unit (dvr), but it would likely get discovered quickly.

Why would it be quickly found? (I'm a rank newb here, so don't count my opinion for too much.) Couldn't you splice a camera signal inside a wall and run to a secondary dvr? You'd have to repair access hole in the wall, but that would be pretty easy. Alternatively, couldn't you get a wireless system with one obvious and one hidden dvr? Certainly there has to be something sneaky that can be done.

Maybe a hidden nanny cam that watches the main DVR. Catching a cop removing a security system would be evidence of foul play.

On other topics, maybe open a bank account with a different bank and keep $28 bucks in it so they would see that he is broke. You'd have to hide your actual ATM card and obviously carry the secondary ATM card. This would limit what they could get from you.