Sign in to follow this  
gmsmithy74

CCTV Setup with Uninterruptible Power Supply

I'd like to thank the site for all the great content it's had on it, but I've had a problem that I can't seem to find the answer to. Basically I've setup a basic CCTV system for a small business. However, if the power was to drop they want the cameras to continue working. I know the best way to do this is with a UPS (or Uninterruptible Power Supply). Does anyone know much about this?

If you're using "IP cameras" with power-over-ethernet (POE) then you can simply plug your network video recorder (NVR) into any decent uninterruptable power supply (UPS)...(in the preceding supposition, your NVS provides POE to your cameras). You can research how many maximum watts your NVR draws to determine how long the UPS will power the NVR (and hence, how long your NVR will power your cameras). I would imagine a 1500kv UPS might power your NVR for an hour or more, but your research will provide you with more exact information about how long your video will stream in event of a power failure. If you're in a country where the local grid is shaky (Iraq, for instance) you should look into a generator or inverter which is rated to power computer equipment. You may also want to look into a transfer switch to make the switch from the grid to your generator safe and instantaneous (at best) or safe and convenient (at worst).

HTH

Edited by Guest

I my experience the most vulnerable part of any DVR or camera is via the power supply. I give my customers an extra year warranty if they have ( or I supply ) a UPS as extra protection. I dont use it so much to provide backup power but it has that as a benefit

If you're using "IP cameras" with power-over-ethernet (POE) then you can simply plug your network video recorder (NVR) into any decent uninterruptable power supply (UPS)......

HTH

Even if you are not using IP cameras it can be done ... if you ran power to each camera from a centralized power point, it is very easy and convenient to plug the dvr and the power control center into UPS/back-ups.

If the installer "cheated" and connected each camera's power to a power outlet at the place of installation, then you will have a substantially more difficult time making this work.

I'm probably commenting too late to help with this, but it was a consideration for the setup I brewed up at work, so...

1. understand that the VA and wattage ratings on a UPS don't necessarily translate into runtime. For example, if you bought an APC SmartUPS XL unit with a 1000VA rating, you can add all the battery packs you want, and end up with a 2-week runtime. But it's still a 1000VA UPS. Battery size/capacity determines runtime, the VA/wattage rating determines how fast you're allowed to burn through it. To evaluate runtime, go to the manufacturer's site and compare runtime charts.

2. basic standby units just watch for the power to fail outright, or deviate from a large range, at which point they switch over to battery. Line-interactive units will "iron out" moderate power deviations without using battery power, then switch to battery when necessary. Online units condition the power non-stop regardless. I think line-interactive is the sweet spot here.

3. if you'll need remote monitoring, also have any necessary network equipment (modems, firewalls, switches) on UPS power too.

4. if your cameras need illuminators, don't forget to have them on battery power too.

As a bang-for-the-buck UPS with big batteries, you might look at the Tripp-Lite Omni VS 1500XL. It's ugly, with no fancy displays, but it contains a lot of battery, and is line-interactive. They're around $200ish. Be aware there's 240-volt versions, so check carefully that you're looking at the right one for your wall voltage.

Be sure to make your customers aware that a UPS is meant to give you a short period of time on battery power, this is usually used to either power down the equipment safely or provide enough time for diesel generators to kick in.

A UPS isn't meant to take you through an entire blackout period. If this is what they are looking for they were need a generator of some kind combined with the UPS.

If you had SD cards in the cameras (or just the cameras that you care about) all you'd really need to plug into the UPS is the switch. It probably uses less juice than the NVR.