Candle1096

CCTV Camera power supply

Hi all,

I have a problem with the power supply to a standard 12v IR camera. I have tried 0.5 amp and 1.0 Amp 12v transformers without success. Having purchased specific 20 meter cable for CCTV cameras online and the transformers for the supply to the camera I cannot get the camera to work on the cable supplied .

It will work without the cable which presumably is the problem (power loss over the distance) but looking at previous posts 20 meter should not have been a problem. I need help in getting a supply to the camera that will work. Or at least being able to understand what I need to get the system up and running.

Try to power the camera locally, meaning find the nearest outlet to the camera, and plug it in there. Than, leave the video going back to the DVR. If that doesn't work, than the video cable is too far or is damaged. Check your connectors on each end

of the video cable, or if you have a voltmeter, power it up with the long cable, meter the on the cable by the camera, if

it has 12-14vdc, than plug in the camera and see what it reads with the camera plugged in. It will drop some, but if it's

over 12vdc, than your trouble shooting the wrong thing.

Many thanks for the help.

2 Cameras checked out OK locally, voltage checked from transformer at 12.25 v and on the end of a second (just in case the first was faulty) 20 meter cable at camera end same voltage. Cameras work OK on short cable straight from a transformer (1 meter) but not on a 20 meter length. Issue seems to be with the 12 v supply on 20 meter cable, but I do not understand why when the voltage is good?

No I haven't tested the voltage with the camera plugged in as the cable is connected with sealed connections. The voltage cable is between 2-3 mm and described when purchased as miniature cable?

I now have the camera up and running in daylight but not at night (lamps are on) using 12v with 5 Amps transformer. As it would seem increasing the amps has worked, how high can I can I go with the amperage without damaging a standard camera?

What is the model number of the camera? 5 amps is pretty high. I do not know size of wire by mm's. I only know gauge. When you order the cable, usually the seller does not calculate distance and sell you the required wire. The reason of plugging

in the camera and metering it is because you need to check the voltage under load. It sounds like your getting close with a

daytime picture, but once the IR's come on, the camera requires more power so it's shutting down. Can you run a wire to a

close outlet and just plug it in there and leave it like that? It sounds like your only choices are to run a thicker power cable

or power it locally.

Higher available amps won't damage anything. Cost for the bigger power supply and fusing are the only real concerns as long as the 5a supply is supplying the right voltage. A regulated switching power supply should probably be used

Many thanks for the advise.

I have now purchased from a reputable supplier Maplin (UK) a 20 meter cable video/power.

The camera has been identified as a Cam888 which I believe is a Sony HQ1 RCD 530 TVL

Still using this professional lead the camera drops out when using infrared.

If 12 v 5 amp power transformer is connected to the camera directly (within a meter) there is no lose of picture. Once the 20 meter lead is connected up the infrared picture drops out.

I am going to try using 10 amp supply as soon as it arrives to see if this will overcome what seems to be a power loss, even though I am reliable informed should not happen!

Seems like a camera issue to me. It's right on the edge of not functioning with the smallest of voltage drops. Either there's a pinch in the power wire on the camera pigtail or there's something wrong inside the camera.

Camera tested at the same time as cable purchased. Explained problem to the supplier and they tested the camera and had the same problem. Ok attached directly to a 12 v 2 amp supply but dropped out on infrared on a 10 meter cable. As to the problem being with this camera, 2 others exhibit the same problem.

I appreciate you staying with me on this problem.

Two other identical cameras or different ones? If identical cameras and you can get other cameras of equal or higher current draw running on the same cable then it's a bad batch of cameras. Either that or there's a whole lot of lousy cheap camera cables floating around. Did anybody check how large the voltage drop was when the IRs light up by putting a power splitter at the camera end of of cable? That'd help diagnose the cables anyway.

Still using this professional lead the camera drops out

reputable supplier Maplin (UK) a 20 meter cable video/power

Hi. don't use professional and maplins together. far from it.

you will get a much better picture with rg59 and power or cat5 and baluns

the problem with the maplin lead kits is the power side is too small so less amps

All three cameras are identical and I can confirm working in situ before being removed by me.

I take your point about Maplins but would say a 1 amp camera, as is the spec for the camera type I have, shouldn't be a problem. But will upgrade to a better power supply if the 10 amp transformer doesn't do the trick.

Hello candle

We usually calculate amper usage for 1 IR camera is 2,5-3A so if you have multiple cameras on your CCTV system you should use at least 10 A power supply to feed them properly.

If you still have the same problem, i would like to ask what type of cable you are using ? Because 20 meter is very short distance to feed for proper CCTV cables. We deployed 400-500 meters cables to 1 camera and it is all worked out ok. (with proper cable of course)

Hi to all,

I now have my camera on the bench, set up with a 20 meter RG59 cable, with a 12 volt 10 Amp supply to the camera. There is a separate supply to the DVR. I get a very good clear daylight picture but when you cover the IR sensor the screen fades and goes blank. I seem to have run out of options with the cable supply, could the problem be with the settings on the DVR?