shockwave199

Hitting cameras web pages with a laptop in an NVR with POE

I figured I'd make a new post for this. It's nothing particulalry new and I certainly didn't invent this wheel! But I was taught how to do it and I want to pass it on to other people who have NVR's with built in POE. There IS a way to hit the cameras web pages directly, right through the NVR, with a laptop or netbook- or even a desktop if that's handy as well. You may never need to do this if you like what you see by default from your cameras. But if you ever need to get into their web service pages directly, this is a cool and easy way to do it.

Do this-

- Plug all cameras into the NVR POE ports and get them live, so they are assigned IP addresses by the NVR

- Write all those addresses down, probably found in a remote device menu in the NVR

- Preferably use a laptop or netbook and do this;

- Go to your local area connection page

- Click on properties

- Double click on internet protocol [TCP/IP]

- Change 'obtain an IP address automatically' to 'use the following IP address'

- Put the subnet in for your cameras. Example, if they're all 192.168.1.125 through like 192.168.1.130, plug in something not taken by any of the cameras, such as 192.168.1.5

- Click in the subnet mask and it should automatically dump in 255.0.0.0. I actually put in 255.255.255.0 and it worked as well. But it'll auto dump in 255.0.0.0 and you should be fine with that.

- Click OK

- If you haven't set your IE activeX for the laptop yet, now's the time to do it per your manufactures instructions

- Plug the laptop into an open POE port on the NVR

- Open an IE browser and type in any cameras address that you wrote down earlier, making sure that camera is plugged into the NVR as well

- You should hit the cameras web page. Do the same for all of them- browse to their addresses.

- Tweak anything you need right in the camera! Bonus- you see the live feed change per your tweaks on your laptop AND on the monitor hooked up to the NVR!

- After all is done, unplug the laptop go back into the local area connection properties/internet protocal [TCP/IP] and check off 'obtain an address automatically' again.

Done!

Very slick indeed for POE NVR'S.

Nice post for newbies, but if your laptop is in the network and your viewing your NVR already, than you won't need to go into ipv4

properties and static your laptop. Just to add to your post, it's a good idea to go into each IP camera's settings as

you install them, adjust the color settings, and give them a static IP. If your POE reboots for any reason, than the camera

will power down and possibly pick up a new IP and your NVR won't see it anymore unless you search for it.

Shockwave199,

Thx for the well-written steps. Looking forward to giving this a try very soon!

Success! I was able to connect my laptop via ethernet to an unused PoE port on my NVR, change my IP on the laptop, and connect to a camera of choice. Very happy that I can finally access the camera menus directly, and didn't need to purchase a switch to do it. Many thanks to Shockwave199 for the great tips and assistance.

Jim

If you really wanna get crazy, you can assign each camera it's own tcp port than port forward each IP of each camera to its own tcp port. Than remotely, enter your ddns URL than colon and the tcp port of the camera and you will see the interface of that camera rather than the NVR!

Sounds cool - but that'll have to be another day's playing. I don't envision much need for that currently. Getting to the NVR will do me good as it is.

If you really wanna get crazy, you can assign each camera it's own tcp port than port forward each IP of each camera to its own tcp port. Than remotely, enter your ddns URL than colon and the tcp port of the camera and you will see the interface of that camera rather than the NVR!

Now that one I'm interested in. If you ever get the chance, like I've done here with a step by step, that would be great.

Thanks.

SB-Jim, glad it worked out for you!

Here is a simple version of how I have mine configured. In reality I have multiple DSL modems bonded and many more devices.

Any camera can be accessed by my desktop or wifi connect laptop.

There is no DHCP server on the NVR.

The main thing to learn here is using the reserved IP addresses in your router, most if not all routers support this.

Before I set it up like this I went into each camera and enabled DHCP and disabled UPNP to stop the cameras being exposed to the outside world, as they are by default.

This is important.... DISABLE UPNP ON EACH CAMERA.

netpic1.png.bdc29f2df2df7b3bfcf6224b39048f56.png

Camera #1 is 192.168.1.200 and tcp port 8001 and http port 8002.

Go into router, port forward 8001 and 8002 to 192.168.1.200

Goto a remote computer and open Internet Explorer.

In URL bar enter http://your ddns server address:8002

or in PSS enter your ddns server address and port 8001 for TCP.

Your NVR will update your modems IP for you to the ddns server so when you goto your ddns and the port of the camera,

your router will direct you to your camera. Make sure your NVR and all cameras have seperate http and tcp ports and each

one has a port forward rule.

Do this-

- Plug all cameras into the NVR POE ports and get them live, so they are assigned IP addresses by the NVR

- Write all those addresses down, probably found in a remote device menu in the NVR

- Preferably use a laptop or netbook and do this;

- Go to your local area connection page

- Click on properties

- Double click on internet protocol [TCP/IP]

- Change 'obtain an IP address automatically' to 'use the following IP address'

- Put the subnet in for your cameras. Example, if they're all 192.168.1.125 through like 192.168.1.130, plug in something not taken by any of the cameras, such as 192.168.1.5

- Click in the subnet mask and it should automatically dump in 255.0.0.0. I actually put in 255.255.255.0 and it worked as well. But it'll auto dump in 255.0.0.0 and you should be fine with that.

- Click OK

- If you haven't set your IE activeX for the laptop yet, now's the time to do it per your manufactures instructions

- Plug the laptop into an open POE port on the NVR

- Open an IE browser and type in any cameras address that you wrote down earlier, making sure that camera is plugged into the NVR as well

- You should hit the cameras web page. Do the same for all of them- browse to their addresses.

- Tweak anything you need right in the camera! Bonus- you see the live feed change per your tweaks on your laptop AND on the monitor hooked up to the NVR!

- After all is done, unplug the laptop go back into the local area connection properties/internet protocal [TCP/IP] and check off 'obtain an address automatically' again.

Done!

Very slick indeed for POE NVR'S.

Do you have to go through the first few steps regarding the local area connection reconfiguration? I tried without doing this based on another post and it didn't work.

I have the ip addresses for all the cameras and have plugged in my laptop to the NVR.

Also - I don't understand what do regarding the IE activeX configuration change.

I'm a total newb when it comes to network so be gentle.

You can't skip the local area connection steps or else it won't work. About the activeX settings, if you get to a cameras web page, sign into the camera and see- maybe you don't need to tweak activeX.

This video may help you. I did not need to run as administrator, as the video suggests. I juts opened IE and put in a camera address.

31ch1PYQ0C8

That's the exact same way I set up my Dahua cameras and NVR, works perfect.

You can't skip the local area connection steps or else it won't work. About the activeX settings, if you get to a cameras web page, sign into the camera and see- maybe you don't need to tweak activeX.

This video may help you. I did not need to run as administrator, as the video suggests. I juts opened IE and put in a camera address.

31ch1PYQ0C8

Thanks. I'll try this tonight.

That's the exact same way I set up my Dahua cameras and NVR, works perfect.

I'd like to do this eventually. Any chance there are some step by step instructions?

Hey Team,

I feel I am rather close to getting my cameras configured correctly but there are a few details from the post that I am missing.

I have successfully connected my laptop to the NVR and can hit the cameras on the NVR assigned IP of 10.0.0.0/24 (for example 1 camera has 10.0.0.130). I can get to the camera by going to http://10.0.0.130:58. My home network is on 192.168.1.100-199 range and my router is 192.168.1.1 and my NVR has a MAC reservation in my router with IP 192.168.1.148.

With that said, I am not following what Static IP I should assign the 10.0.0.130 camera. Should I statically assign it to my home network or keep it the NVR subnet of the POE? My issue is I cannot get to anything on 10.0.0.0/24. I did try to assign a camera statically (ex. 10.0.0.130 --> 192.168.1.149) but I could not get to the camera at all.

Anyways, I can provide more details if needed, just let me know.

For new firmware Hikvision you can enable virtual host.

Configuration > Network > Advanced > Other - tick virtual host and apply

Go to System > Camera Management - click the link under the connect column to have a NAT's connection to the camera.

You can also setup routing now if your are familiar.

Ensure the cameras have their gateway set to 192.168.254.1

Then you can add a route to 192.168.254.0/24 in your router next hop the NVR

If you ping the NVR but can't get the cameras remember to login to the cameras and update the gateway to the NVR.