Hi I cant seem to find confirmation on this but for the lorex ip cameras from costco if your using a power injector is it 48v or 12? I think this 48 one will work right ? http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-48v60w-passive-Ethernet-Injector-cameras/dp/B0086SQDMM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369252299&sr=1-2

Yes that should work fine

Cheaper here

http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-ENC-Multi-Passive-Injector-devices/dp/B0075F7F2O/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369258267&sr=1-4&keywords=16+port+poe+injector

I don't get it, why would someone buy a multi-port PoE injector, then buy an 8 port switch, then have 8 Ethernet jumpers from each port to the injector, then the 8 Ethernet cables from the cameras. It has to look like a big ball of wires when done. Then to add insult to injury, they power that thing with a power brick, yet more mess and only supports 60W. 7.5W of power per port out the switch or about 6W at the camera.

I don't get it, why would someone buy a multi-port PoE injector, then buy an 8 port switch, then have 8 Ethernet jumpers from each port to the injector, then the 8 Ethernet cables from the cameras. It has to look like a big ball of wires when done. Then to add insult to injury, they power that thing with a power brick, yet more mess and only supports 60W. 7.5W of power per port out the switch or about 6W at the camera.

POE switches can be expensive and individual injectors are expensive. You could put 120W power supply on this and get POE+. Im not saying this is the right product to buy, that i support it or that I think the op should spend their money on a better product like a cisco 3550....but I get it from a cost/retrofit/network standpoint.

i prefer no injector also but I am living in France at the moment, my wife in the US and our cottage is in Canada and i am going there next week for a few days and i need all this equipment for when i arrive and i couldn't get such a poe switch on fleabay... Long term though i want to replace it with a 16-24 port rackable, gigabit, managable poe switch but those are not cheap. I will find one on ebay soon though

I have a 24 port manageable gigabit switch plus a managable pdu that i can access remotely to power all the equipment on/ off. It wont be that messy because it will all be inside a rack and the poe injector will be mounted inside the rack behind the nvr and plugged in with small patch cables

I paid 60 bucks for the switch, 60 bucks for the apc pdu, 42 for the power injector and a few bucks for the extra cables. So to get a basic gigabit switch that does 8 poe ports it would have cost me the same thing plus i need two switches as there isn't enough room for all the things in my rack, and those cheap switches are not rack mountable and i hate them... One of the downsides of being responsible for datacenter networks is you get picky about equipment lol

Thanks for the confirmations that this injector will work

I know exactly what your talking about. I have a huge issue when I see these "crap" switches posted. I deal with networks like you...Im stuck in the circular problem of. I want a small compact gigabit poe quiet switch that will fit in my dvr lock box that's more than 8 ports at full poe spec. Which isn't going to happen for anything remotely cheap!

I have flown to to many locations to solve major outages only to find some non manageable cheap switch / hub hidden behind a desk creating broadcast storms I am not even a big fan of using the manageable netgear but for a small cottage network it will suffice lol

If it was at my house and I was there all the time I would feel more comfortable using the cheaper one as I am there and can fix it but at the cottage where I am there 2 times per year and working with my wife to troubleshoot something is a nightmare I will try and do it as good as possible lol

Maybe makes sense, but here's the problem. The issue to me is manageability, with a managed PoE switch, you can cycle power to a camera that's hung remotely by connecting to the switch. If you get a managed switch that is not PoE and use PoE injectors, you will not be able to do this. So say you are in Paris and want to check your camera in Canada, but it's frozen, with a managed PoE switch, you reset the camera and voila, it's up and running again.

All the ZyXel switches I've seen from the $65 one on up are rack mountable, they come with mounting tabs and use a simple AC power cord, not power brick so that's not an issue.

And trust me, I've spent way too much time configuring $5,000 Cisco 10Gige switches at my last job, that's why it's my last job, LOL.

i dind tthink that zyxel is managed? I love my cisco stuff, but i hate trouble shooting it or fixing others peoples routing and switching issues.

Yes, you manage it by training your cat to unplug and plug in Ethernet connectors. Best to color code them so you can text your cat to reset the pink one. What, your cat doesn't text?

Seriously, not all their switches are managed and if you paid under $100 for it, then better start training that cat. But the one at the link below, the ES2108PWR with 8 full power PoE ports, rack mountable, with Gige uplink port is fully managed, reset a camera remotely while enjoying your coffee and croissant at your favorite café in Paris.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181070&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Switches-_-N82E16833181070&gclid=CNzyz7HGrLcCFVIV7AodoBEA5A

For that cost I'd spend the money on a eol cisco product or a sb200-24p it's got 12 Poe, it's fan less, it's also 300.00 but hey it's managed

My point is that to take full advantage of a managed switch, it can't use PoE injectors, you need a managed PoE switch to manage the power aspect. I offered the ZyXel as an example of an affordable (not cheap) rack mountable, 8 port PoE switch with Gige uplink. I'm sure there are other alternatives from various vendors worth looking at, Cisco included.

for me I have a managed APC PDU so I can fully turn the power off to the netgear switch, nvr, poe injector etc so I can reset all of the cameras remotely all I have to do is connect to the web interface of the PDU and cycle the power to the injector, of course it will kill all of them at once but thats not a problem as i dont expect to do it often

I agree that having a managed switch is better as you can do each per device and for sure and I plan to change it after to a POE gigabit switch to remove the injector so then I can do it straight from the switch which is certainly better.

The netgear 8 port one looks decent but the problem is I need more than 8 ports I need at least 11 today and I really prefer to have them all on one, to buy 2x $180 Netgear 8 port switches didnt make much sense. I lost out on a 24 port poe gigabit one on ebay by a few bucks better luck soon

If noise isn't a concern you can pick up a Cisco 3550 24 port Poe for about 120 with a 1 year warranty

there are lots of 100Mbs options but I want only one switch in my rack and gigabit ... then the price isnt the same lots of non poe ones for a reasonable price but not to many with POE

there are lots of 100Mbs options but I want only one switch in my rack and gigabit ... then the price isnt the same lots of non poe ones for a reasonable price but not to many with POE

100 Mbps and 1000 Mbps POE switches are very different.

With gigabit, the signal and power wires are the same, with 100 Mbps, they are separate wires.

That is why they cost a lot more.

yea thats my problem. I want gig/poe+/24port/fnaless or quiet/managed all for under 300.00 HA! not happening

The way I look at it cameras are mostly 100Mbps, so having a 100Mbps switch with a gige uplink to your router is good enough for most home users.

The way I look at it cameras are mostly 100Mbps, so having a 100Mbps switch with a gige uplink to your router is good enough for most home users.

I fully agree on that for the majority of people thats more than adequate

Since you mentioned Netgear- I have a couple of GS110TP 8 port gig Poe switches with dual SFP slots and they work OK, but the user interface is terribly slow and I cannot access them from outside my LAN. I don't know why they won't connect through my router. I replaced them with a couple of American Fibertek C10P-Poe switches off eBay and these work fantastic.

The way I look at it cameras are mostly 100 Mbps

Which camera ?

Lorex cameras, haven't you been paying attention, it's the title of the post

BTW, in checking the specs, the camera uses 7W, so if you put 8 of these on that 8 port PoE injector it may not work, maybe limit it to 6 of these cameras. While yes, you have 7W per port, that's at the port, with power loss over the Ethernet cable, it will be likely be 6W available to the camera. Since it will work with 5W without IR, you can always do that and force them in day mode.

The way I look at it cameras are mostly 100 Mbps

Which camera ?

Lorex cameras, haven't you been paying attention, it's the title of the post

I was talking about bandwidth

Are u saying that Lorex IP cam consume up 100 Mbps ?