BiGKaT

IP camera for a front porch only.. what is best?

My sister is not good with tech stuff and she is having problems with some drunken neighbors. I cannot get there to do any wiring.

There is a computer in the living room near the front porch window. She would be able to run a wire out the window. Something to hold her over until I can get down next Oct.

So what would be best for a camera and software. I have a wired network set up with an access point so if there was a wireless solution that could be done or I could send her a switch to add to the living room computer to connect to the camera. I didn't want to have to buy a card for the computer as that would be too difficult for her to set up. I can remote to the computer to set up the software.

Any ideas?

I was even thinking of a dash cam but they don't give great night vision and I would like to be able to record longer than 8 hours or so.

The front lawn is about 25 feet from porch to street and I would like to be able to get a fairly good view of up to approx 40 feet

The porch is sheltered so weather is not a problem and there is outside power. Did not want to have to invest in a PoE switch etc.. for this

For one camera, I've use a wall wort type PoE adapter sold on eBay. It's easy because you plug it into the wall like a cell phone charger and then plug the camera and the router into it and you are done. I think I paid $15.

As for cameras, don't get a dome because they require some degree of mechanical skills to mount and aim. As for bullets, the one I like at this time is the ACTi E32, it's an IR bullet with 3MP, priced well and ACTi has good customer service and support if she runs into a problem. They also provide free NVR software that's very good, easy to install and use and a free IOS app. What I also like is the mount is separate from the camera and I think that makes it easier to install. Just attach the mount with 3 screws. Then thread the mount onto the camera bottom or top.

I've been eyeing this camera. Does it have a PIR input? If there is one, at what voltage?

For one camera, I've use a wall wort type PoE adapter sold on eBay. It's easy because you plug it into the wall like a cell phone charger and then plug the camera and the router into it and you are done. I think I paid $15.

As for cameras, don't get a dome because they require some degree of mechanical skills to mount and aim. As for bullets, the one I like at this time is the ACTi E32, it's an IR bullet with 3MP, priced well and ACTi has good customer service and support if she runs into a problem. They also provide free NVR software that's very good, easy to install and use and a free IOS app. What I also like is the mount is separate from the camera and I think that makes it easier to install. Just attach the mount with 3 screws. Then thread the mount onto the camera bottom or top.

any cameras under 200 that would be any good?

When you say you want to see 40' away, do you mean literally see what is 40' away, like there's a blue car passing by or be able to recognize or ID someone. With a 3MP camera, 4mm lens, you can probably recognize someone at 40', not ID them, maybe ID at 25'. You can get the D32 which is similar to the E32 but no WDR for under $300 or get the D31 which is 1MP and recognize someone at maybe at 20' and ID them at about 12' and that you can probably find closer to $240.

The 1080P Swann or Lorex for $349 for a two pack at Costco and find someone to split with, that would put you half way in between a 1MP and 3MP camera.

Costco sells the Q-See two pack for $299, with 1.3MP probably has similar ability to ID someone as the 1080P cameras because of the longer lens and 4:3 aspect ratio. I bought the two pack but only used one camera if you want it for $150, never used, brand new, no tax, free shipping. You can use free recording software like from Axxonsoft.