getatjbrown

Monitoring help

First, I hope I dont make this complicated.

I somehow drew the shortest straw on this project, so I am looking for outside help.

I do some volunteer work for a non-profit facility that installed a 13 camera networked surveillance system a few years back. When it was originally installed, 3 of the cameras were run into a modulator and were visible thru a couple tv channels thru out the building.

Over the last couple years, cameras have been upgraded to all digital cameras and are not being run into the modulator (or I dont even know if they can be anymore)

There is a fella (completely technically ignorant)that lives at the facility in a very small apartment. If he heard anything in the middle of the night, he would turn on the tv, and flick thru the 3 channels to see if he could see anything. That no longer works, and never incorporated all the cameras anyways.

He wants to be able to monitor all the cameras full time from this apt.

The only thing I can think of (and please help me if I am way off) is to install a mini-pc in the basement of his apartment, and run output cable to a large monitor in his apartment that would stream live views 24/7. Granted he would not be able to control the cameras in any way, but would be able to see them all. I can use the current monitoring software we have and just leave that running on the mini-pc.

1) Does this even make sense? I want to get some feedback before purchasing the mini-pc and figuring out how to get cable up from the basement.

2) If this does make sense, would running a extremely long vga cable upstairs make sense, or should I convert it to something else for the long run? HDMI is an option, but it can be quirky around 50ft.

I appreciate any help

Yes, it makes sense. I assume you have some type of recording device for the new cameras? What is the make and what type of outputs does it have?

I cant see where you are from but in the US we switched from analog to digital TV's. You no longer have the unused channels that one could modulate signals to.

Also, what type of TV does your tenant have? The easiest thing to do would be to go from your recorder to a different input on his TV.

Yes, it makes sense. I assume you have some type of recording device for the new cameras? What is the make and what type of outputs does it have?

I cant see where you are from but in the US we switched from analog to digital TV's. You no longer have the unused channels that one could modulate signals to.

Also, what type of TV does your tenant have? The easiest thing to do would be to go from your recorder to a different input on his TV.

Usually what I do is convert the BNC to RCA and use the video input, doesn't require a video modulator. As far as the signal going digital I don't see why a modulator wouldn't still be an option.

Yes, one could put an RCA fitting on the BNC out cable and go right to nother input. But you are assuming there is another inputon the TV. How can one make an assmption without knowing the makes of the unit supplying the output and the unit accepting it?

As far as modulation, not knowing where the product is located brings up another issue. I am assuming the disconected the modulators because they were analog and they went digital as was decribed so they needed to be disconneted. How exactly would you modulate a signal into a comcast or AT&T channel lineup

Finally, being low end housing it is very possible, and likely, the TV is analog, has a converter attached and there is no other inputs on it. Only once one knows what is the source and TV can one make a suggestion on the best way to connect it.

Yes, one could put an RCA fitting on the BNC out cable and go right to nother input. But you are assuming there is another inputon the TV. How can one make an assmption without knowing the makes of the unit supplying the output and the unit accepting it?

As far as modulation, not knowing where the product is located brings up another issue. I am assuming the disconected the modulators because they were analog and they went digital as was decribed so they needed to be disconneted. How exactly would you modulate a signal into a comcast or AT&T channel lineup

Finally, being low end housing it is very possible, and likely, the TV is analog, has a converter attached and there is no other inputs on it. Only once one knows what is the source and TV can one make a suggestion on the best way to connect it.

What does it matter if he has a digital or analog signal coming in? Almost any TV made within the last 15 years will have a standard RCA port on it, thus all he has to do is switch the AV input.

As for the digital TV problem, I don't see what issue adding a modulator would have. Cable comes in, goes through the modulator, then carries on to the digtial box, I have not tested my theory but assume it would work, still using the AV input is easier and does not require a modulator to modulate the RF signal.

But as you say I am assuming the DVR has a BNC video out, which almost every system does, and the TV has an RCA input, which almost every TV does so I make the assumption BNC to RCA should work.

It is a digital system being run on a PC. You can gather that from the software he mentions. If the live in manager, or whatever, was flipping through channels it as an analog modulator and an old TV. I think that is why the guy wants to put in a monitor.

We can debate this all day but until one knows what product is involved it is just guessing. I kind of have a picture of the facility from various ones I have performed charity work in, but that is guessing too. It might not even be in the States.

The Don

PS: Your theory does not work. lol