cah027

Someone tried to poison my dog!

I let my dog out this morning and noticed that she was coming from under the barn. I have a mini barn built on crest of the hill that is my back yard. It has stilts or legs holding up the back end of it. Anyway, she gets under there all the time. So shortly after I let her out I notice she has something hanging from her mouth and is coming from under the barn. I yell at her to come in and she does. I go out there and its an pack of sausage that didn't smell rotten and the only damage to it was from my dog chewing it. She ate about half of one of the four patties.

I have one of those 8ch 4 cam sams club qsee systems. I haven't figured out the motion detect settings so I didn't capture anything. Also it seems as if they came from behind the barn and tossed it under it for her (my dog) to discover.

A few weeks ago I played around with the motion and schedule settings and had it working pretty well and haven't looked at it since. Well now that i need it to work I find out that it only recorded on the last 2 Tuesdays or something like that which makes no sense because I had the settings set the same for all days. I now have it back to recording 24/7.

I am going to switch to BI on a spare computer I have and add at least 4 more cams. I might go with the mini 2mp dahua cams. I have switched out one of the lenses to a 3.6mm(cam4) will probably switch the barn cam to a 3.6 this weekend.

Do you think BI will do a better job at motion detect and such? Also I have a lot more storage on my PC than the 1TB drive that came with the NVR..

Here is a screen cap of my cams.

221535_1.jpg

Sorry about your dog. I haven't used BI very much but have had heard good things about the motion detection. That's frustrating to have cameras up but no footage of what went on. Tweaking motion detection can be tough. You don't want false positives all the time but can't make it so insensitive that it doesn't catch people, or only catches people close to the cam but not way out on the road. Good luck with the tweaking- properly set, it can save you a LOT of reviewing.

The best advise I can give you with regards to motion sensor image captures is to always test it out before hand, dial in the settings and have someone walk by the camera, this will let you know if the motion recording is working to your standards or if you need to make adjustments.

So how did you come to the conclusion that someone tried to poison your dog? Is there any particular reason someone would want to poison her? Is the dog showing any signs of illness? Did you take the dog to the vet as a precaution? Did you send the meat to a lab and have it tested? Is it possible that some other animal dragged the package under your barn and your dog either found it or stole it away?

Just pointing out that there may be an innocent explanation for how the meat ended up under your barn.

That's the right move setting up your cameras for full-time recording until you get your motion detection settings squared away. That way, if there really is a perp, you might have a chance of catching them on camera.

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, I thought I had it all setup and working correctly. I was working by myself so that may be part of the problem. I went out after each adjustment and got each cam to trigger a motion recording when I set it up. It seems like the settings didn't hold or something or now I need them to be more sensitive for some reason. I might just switch to BI and see if that works better.

It might all boil down to the fact that I have never dealt with a security cam NVR before and just don't know what I am doing. (pretty sure thats what it is) Thats why I am on here...

I don't know for sure if she really was poisoned. dvarapala you may be right. It may have been another animal that drug it under there. I don't think an animal would leave it uneaten though. I don't have anyone complaining about her. She barks but no more than most dogs. Most of us in my addition have sloped back yards and the neighborhood kids cut thru all the time. Plus I have empty lots next to the barn they cut thru a lot. It was probably not poison but it would be nice to see how it got there. Got to get this figured out.

I took her to an animal emergency hospital and $188 later she was fine. She is an awesome dog and well worth the expense just to make sure she is ok. She never seemed sick or anything. I just don't have the best of luck sometimes so I didn't want to risk it. They gave her a shot to make her vomit and it also had morphine in it. So she was acting drugged for awhile. They also gave her a charcoal solution to absorb anything. They looked thru the vomit and the pak of sausage and didn't find any glass or anything specious. I asked if it could be analyzed but they said they don't have any tests for poison.

Glad to hear she's OK. From your description, it sounds like the package was still sealed when the dog found it. If someone wanted to poison an animal, I would expect they would take the meat out of the package in order to add the poison to it and to make it easier for the animal to smell, find, and ingest. If another animal filched the package and dragged it under your barn, it may have been interrupted by your dog before it could eat the contents.

FWIW.

I really hope that is all it was. It probably was. Better safe than sorry.

I just need to workout the motion settings. Also I have 3 more cams on order. Getting the dahua mini bullet 2mp cams. I think I am going to use 2 of them as "overview" cams. Mounted way up high on top of my chimney. One over viewing the front of the house and one over viewing the back.

I think you have to be careful because I heard that some people try and “make friends” with dogs by giving them food so when they try to break into your house, the dog won’t attack them.

Anyway, with regards to your motion sensors, I think trial and error is the only way to make sure you get it right. Like what SectorSecurity said, always test.

Yeah...you can. There are some really good people in even the worst places.