stroonzo

Thieves caught on my cameras - YouTube Link Within

I captured this the other night. I woke up that morning, looked out of my front window and noticed my neighbor's car up on MY landscape stones. I have since burned this to DVD and submitted it and the YouTube link (so they're able to see it it in 1080 rather than DVD's 480) to the police.

See, everyone thinks I am weird for having cameras UNTIL something happens to them. Then I am the one who is asked "you think you got them on camera...?".

What isn't understood is - my system and lighting is specifically designed for my house. It is just by chance I may get footage of their home. I tell you though, this particular incident really has me thinking about putting two LPR cameras on the light pole in the front of my house (facing down the street in each direction).

Although the video makes the lighting appear to be somewhat bright, it isn't. In fact, it is quite dark. The cameras (being non IR) are set to a shutter speed to compensate for the low lighting. The result is much better light sensitivity and less noise. The effective frame rate therefore is about 10 FPS. This is really about as good as it gets with 1080P cameras without IR at night. These are Dauha IPC-HDB3200C 2 Megapixel Full HD Vandal-proof Network Mini Dome Cameras.

Here is the link:

(or if the BBCode decides to work):

For youtube, you have to leave out everything but RdzXq6FTFME, as your link provides.

RdzXq6FTFME

So, they park in your driveway and a neighbors across the street and for upwards of 15 minutes steal tires? Amazing that they rolled the dice that neither you or the neighbor wouldn't be alerted to someone pulling into your driveways. And even more so that they took so long- long enough for police to actually show up. The last camera with them driving away- be careful with motion blur for the sake of night time exposure. It can be counter productive. Hope they catch them.

My neighbor's home burned down and he died in the fire in 2009. The title and mortgage situation is just getting all finalized for the property to go on sale. Soon after being posted for sale, I am sure it will be sold in no time. Our area is growing quickly.

So, they park in your driveway and a neighbors across the street and for upwards of 15 minutes steal tires? Amazing that they rolled the dice that neither you or the neighbor wouldn't be alerted to someone pulling into your driveways. And even more so that they took so long- long enough for police to actually show up. The last camera with them driving away- be careful with motion blur for the sake of night time exposure. It can be counter productive. Hope they catch them.

It has been surprising to everyone, including law enforcement, that they took SO LONG. It was assumed the thieves were in and out in only a few minutes (not 13). Also, it was surprising to them that they used little to no stealth in the event.

This video has been helpful. There has been a string of these thefts occurring around here. In fact, that night three homes were victim to this identical crime. With this footage submitted to local law enforcement and posted to our neighborhoods presence on NextDoor.com, everyone is on the lookout.

There is so much more motivation for people to look out for these criminals. People become very charged up and motivated by the footage.

Regarding the North Camera - yes, increasing the FPS in trade for higher noise has been a consideration. After this event though, I will be installing two LPR cams on the street light pole in my yard. That's gonna be awesome!

Hey, I know those guys. I often refer to them as "the two dudes." They are in countless Youtube videos. Several years ago they would always appear in low quality analog video. Today they often appear in megapixel video. Even so, it's often shot at night, the lighting is too low for recognition, so they are seldom apprehended.

I have fourteen burglary arrests in the last four years. Sure, I too have megapixel cameras, but the trick is to add outdoor motion sensors. If you had installed outdoor motion sensors that alert you when someone walks in your yard at 2 am, you could have watched the burglary live on your monitor while talking to the police dispatcher.

Be honest now- how many false alarms wake up up from those sensors? Honestly. Many times the intentions are good with that but after a bunch of false alarms, that's the end of that. If you say they work perfectly with no false triggers, than let us all know what ones you use and how you installed them. And I would suggest that it's also wise to consider installing a siren on the alarm outputs of any nvr/dvr. Alarm outputs with the ability to manually trigger that output is a deal breaker for any unit I choose- it must have that feature.

Be honest now- how many false alarms wake up up from those sensors? Honestly.

I have two Optex VX-402 in the my driveway, one facing across the driveway and the other facing down the driveway, and I never get a false alarm at night. Never, ever. We live near woods and there are many feral cats, racoons, and skunks, and they do not trigger them.

I have an Optex SIP-100 that is aimed at a footpath that is 280' from the house. This PIR has three zones; a long range zone, a medium zone, and a tamper zone. The sensitivity adjustments on this unit are excellent. The highest sensitivity can detect a cat at 330 feet, but the adjustments are very precise and you can adjust the sensitivity so that small animals will not trigger it and people will. A large stag will walk through the area a couple times a year and he can trigger the PIR, but I'm essentially peering into woods.

The Crow DD have excellent reviews as well, though I have not used them myself.

In summary, if you select a quality PIR, it is possible to detect people and ignore animals at night. If you have large bushes and trees that can blow in the wind, this may be a challenge during the day (due to sun IR bouncing off the leaves) but will not be a problem at night.

Best,

Christopher

If you have large bushes and trees that can blow in the wind, this may be a challenge during the day (due to sun IR bouncing off the leaves) but will not be a problem at night.

All good, but during the day it would be an alarm fest for many, including me. How do you deal with that?

All good, but during the day it would be an alarm fest for many, including me. How do you deal with that?

I studied the crime patterns in this area before designing my security system. I've lived in this neighborhood fourteen years and have been neighborhood watch captain for about six. In all that time I don't recall one auto burglary in this neighborhood during the day. There were possibly a couple I don't know about, but they are extremely rare in this neighborhood. The home burglaries are typically during the day and the auto burglaries are typically at night. I have other outdoor sensors activated during the day (e.g. both side gates, mail box, etc). The foot paths are used all day by residents, so I turn off those zones during the day.

I should also mention I have two alarm systems, one (the typical home security system) is monitored and the other is essentially a voice chime for all the outdoor sensors. During the day, the only outdoor sensors that are active are the ones very close to the house (driveway, front door, mail box). Then at night, I extend the range to several hundred feet.

Best,

Christopher