Softrax

Fisheye Camera Coverage

I would like to use fisheye cameras in a retail store. The area to be covered is 12 metres x 24 metres. I have not yet installed a fisheye so I'm looking for a general answer. Will I be able to "see" the whole area with 2 cameras? What is the maximum distance that is commonly used from the camera to the wall.

I have had a look on the youtube videos and demos but none of them give a reference tgo the size of the room they are working with.

Thanks

Eric

It really all depends on the camera and its ability. I know axis makes a camera which can produce a 360 degree image, not sure of the distance though. You could always use 2 or 3 fish eye cameras mounted on the roof, or 180 degree cameras mounted on the wall, again all depends on your needs.

Thanks for the reply. That really is the question - what coverage can I expect with the camera since I can't just go arouund drilling holes throughout his building without some sort of idea if I am going to get 12 x 12 metres- I would like to use Geovision cameras but I'm open to other suggestions.

The height of the ceiling and resolution of the camera will also be factors in coverage. A fisheye in retail should be good for an unobstructed birds eye view of shoppers, but you will probably want other cameras in your system to get other angles. You can never have too many cameras.

Actually fisheye can do much more than that, but it IS tough to see definitive room size examples of them. I would agree- get a high resolution 5MP geovsion. Fisheye has some amazing capabilities as far as coverage and the things it can do with that coverage. But it's a little more questionable how good the resolution becomes when you start breaking out different zones of view. One fisheye can give you full coverage of a room, in spades. But I would be sure the camera is high resolution to help the situation. I actually would LOVE to use two of them for my exterior coverage at home. I have a great spot in the front of my house and back as well. I'd rather have two cameras than eight, that's for sure. But I still haven't settled in on which cameras to buy. Looks like mobotix would be the likely choice for outdoor rated fisheyes.

The main concern is the how high the you are mounting the camera. The lower the better for fisheye lenses and keep in mind anything over 10ish feet from the camera will be for general coverage only.

I would try to keep the camera mounted at 8-10ft for the best resolution.

I have a Mobotix Q24mounted on the wall above my garage door and day time it works very well. There is no place to hide in front of my house

This is the image quality of a group of mainstream panoramic cameras delivered at 18 feet in well, evenly lit conditions:

223276_1.jpg

Obviously, don't expect many fine details. We did a month long panoramic shootout both indoors and outdoors.

Hi Everyone,

The response has been really good so far. I also emailed Geovision and their reply is below.

So between all of us, it sounds like if I need facial recognition I'll need to install at least 3 cameras, but for general surveillance I might be able to get away with 2. But it depends on the height as well. Obviously if someone else reads this posting they will need to make their own final judgements.

Geovision wrote:

Thank you for submitting to GeoVision Technical Support.

A person’s face can still be recognized if you mount a GV-FE520/521 3m height from the ground to cover a 8m x 8m area.

You can still view the objects beyond this area, but you may not be able to see all the details of the object.

If you mount the camera higher, the distance between the object to the camera is further, therefore, the objects are going to be even smaller as well as the coverable area.

For a 12m x 24m area, we would suggest you to install at least 3 cameras.

Well if three 5mp cams were in the budget I'd personally choose that solution. They offer so much coverage as well as break out zones, e-ptz, and even tracking from what I've seen. If three of them solves resolution coverage for every zone concerned, bingo. Total coverage from three cameras.

I have a Mobotix Q24mounted on the wall above my garage door and day time it works very well. There is no place to hide in front of my house

I love that! LOL! In the front of my house I could actually mount it horizontally on a support beam by my front door and cover the door, driveway, and anything else it can see there. The door and driveway are well lit and close to the camera so I'd bet it would be superb for that. The backyard I have a deep overhang from the second story gable so again, I could mount it horizontal and have a perfect shot of both my back doors and full backyard. The only thing I'd miss is my analog ptz, where I can push as tight as I want to the surrounding street in front. The fisheye would see it all, but it would definitely be at the fringes of range and resolution would drop. I'd probably need need a IP ptz to make up for that flexibility out there. But to me, fisheyes rule in the right conditions. Every time I check them out- me want!

Yes the 8m x 8m is what you can have with a Fish Eye camera installed at 3m high.

Higher than that is not recommended.

See below the link for two different installation, first with 3m and second with 5m high

Both using 3MP Samsung Fish Eye camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6o28ISnhZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQv0mz_NLSc&list=UUT1XMcCPc_b0DTYhRavpwLQ