Baje

Need A Good Microphone

Hey guys,

I have a client that operates a nightclub. He wants a microphone for the front door. Ive installed a "cheapy cheapy" one but with all the background noise its serving no purpose. Do you guy have any recommendations?

He has also told me that there is a telephone at the front door that when left off of the hook works very good, i dont know if that helps in anyway...

Thanks

What exactly is he trying to hear? I would image at a night club over all the people and the music you are not going to hear much of anything other then exactly that, screaming people and music.

Tell him to leave the phone off the hook

If it's not a closed off vestibule, there's nothing that can be done. I find like most people who know nothing about microphones in general, when it comes to cctv mics they're even more unrealistic. The byproduct of CSI tv shows.

The microphone is at the front door where people pay etc.

All he is saying with regards to the phone issue is that if something as simple as a phone can do it there must be some sort of cctv microphone that should work just as good. He just wants it tied into the dvr system so it could be recorded.

I use the Olympus ME-15 mic for my cameras and they sound great outdoors. If you want to separate certain noises your best bet might be to use a parabolic dish to point the mic at the source (cash register) or bring the mic close to the source (clipped to a pendant lamp fixture hanging right above the cash register).

Yeah, the best thing to do is get the mic as close to the conversation you want to hear as possible. The further away it is, the more room will be picked up. The closer to the source, the louder THAT conversation will be, which will overcome the background noise. But it's covert audio and any results will be hit and miss according to the noise at the moment.