hawk4611

Scrambled Picture

New on the job and have been given the task of trying to fix the security camera that noone knows anything about. I can see that the camera works, Im just not getting a good picture. Its very scrambled and I cant see anything. I just need a good starting point, thanks.

Bring a known good cable and plug it into another monitor right next to the camera. If the pic is still bad it's the camera. If it's not bad, swap cables at the DVR with another camera that's working. If the bad image changes positions, then run another cable from the camera with image problems to the DVR. If the bad image doesn't change positions, it's a bad input on the DVR. If you've got a spare camera, you can also hook it up temporarily in place of the bad one to test the cable and DVR input. This all assumes that it's an analog camera. If it's a network camera the general principals still apply. Isolate the problem using known good components.

A picture of the image you are seeing would be really helpful in determining what is causing you to have a bad image, as Kawboy12R suggested it may be as simple as a bad cable, or it may be a ground loop, or could be as simple as the camera is out of focus.

The camera is a PTZ26x. Its ouside up on the roof of the bldg and from what ive been told it hasnt worked in a while. Its not a camera focus problem. I can see a little bit between the scrambling and can see what it is seeing. Its almost like trying to watch a channel that you didnt subscribe to back in the day if you know what i mean.

The camera is a PTZ26x. Its ouside up on the roof of the bldg and from what ive been told it hasnt worked in a while. Its not a camera focus problem. I can see a little bit between the scrambling and can see what it is seeing. Its almost like trying to watch a channel that you didnt subscribe to back in the day if you know what i mean.

Hi. take a look in PTZ camera settings and reset NTSC or PAL which ever is for your country.