Does the ONVIF standard include motion information? If a camera and NVR from two manufactures support the complete ONVIF standard, in theory, should the NVR be able to detect and record camera motion events?

Best,

Christopher

I have not used ONVIF too much, but I also had problems using motion detection. Dahua NVR, with 2 Dahua cameras, 2 Hikvision cameras, and 1 chinese brand camera. Video was perfect on all 5 of them, and the Dahua units worked great with MD. But I was completely unable to get any motion detection redordings on the chinese camera, and I didn't have an easy time geting the Hikvision cameras to work (I did get some MD working, but not as expected).

I do think that the motion detection happens at the camera level, and that the NVR does not even bother analizing the video. But I am not sure. On Dahua cameras, you change the MD settings (area, sensitivity, etc) and they also get updated on the camera. With the other cameras, you change any settings on the NVR, and the camera doesn't care at all. But even if I activated MD on the channel, set up an area, sensitivity, etc on the NVR, while it worked fine with the Dahua units, it did nothing with the others.

I cannot help you with the motion over ONVIF (I assume you mean inbuilt motion events)

I can say however that Milestone detects motion on the incoming footage, so it does not rely on the motion triggers from the camera itself, Milestone instead looks for changes in the pixels of the incoming footage, It could be that the NVR's all run the same way?

It depends on the NVR, for example: Exacq, Qnap, Koukaam IPCorder - those use on-camera motion events. So when I use GeoVision Onvif cams - I can't use motion detection.

But GeoVision, Milestone, or NUUO - those use software motion detection so it doesn't matter how you connect your cameras, it could be ONVIF, PSIA or even RTSP.

Also in theory, if camera is ONVIF 2.2 Profile S and NVR supports that - motion detection should work.

No clue, but what would make the most sense to me is that both the cameras and NVR have motion detection settings, and that they both would be independent. So you could even use different settings on both, like ones for recording, and maybe some other settings, sensitivity, areas, etc on the camera that would trigger different events.

But with Dahua I have seen settings that change at the same time on both NVR and camera. You disable MD on the NVR? It gets disabled on the camera. You enable it? It gets enabled.

I have only used two systems so far, so there is still a lot I need to test.

In my impression, ONVIF has some motion detection stuffs defined.

However, I would not count on it based on our experience with ONVIF devices. Just like you have "in theory" in the post. Spec is one thing, implementation is another.

If the reason you asked about this is because cpu loading, you can try software that utilize GPU to do motion detection.

It depends on which version of ONVIF they are using. 2.2 and Profile S have motion support built-in but they have to be implemented in both the camera and VMS for it to work.

Edit what I mean by implemented is just because they are 2.2 or Profile S that doesn't mean the motion/analytic flag is implemented.

Edited by Guest

2.2 and Profile S have motion support built-in but they have to be implemented in both the camera and VMS for it to work.

Thanks. Has Avigilon implemented ONVIF 2.2 and Profile S?

2.2 and Profile S have motion support built-in but they have to be implemented in both the camera and VMS for it to work.

Thanks. Has Avigilon implemented ONVIF 2.2 and Profile S?

I beleive they are onvif 2.2

Recently i have been testing onvif cameras with Avigilon

I've tried the following brands.

ACTi - E32

Hikvision - DS-2CD2032-I

Dahua - IPC-HDW2100

Ganz - ZN-MD243M

LG - LND5100

Sony - SNC-CH110

Pelco - IL10-BP (wouldnt connect at all)

Of these, the LG and Hikvision and Sony were the only ones that would get motion recording working. The Acti was Onvif 2.2 but wouldnt work with motion.

The Sony was the pick of the lot in terms of ease of setup. The others i had to create motion zones in the camera web interface 1st and then Avigilon would get the motion.

Most of the others would connect and record but only continuously...

Still bear in mind that it is no where near like the Avigilon cameras motion detection and pixel searching is not as good with the 3rd party onvif cameras as you are limited to massive detection zones.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Ash

Have you guys had any updates on the ONVIF with Dahua NVRs? I was thinking of getting a hybrid Dahua (HCVR5208A-V2) and use the Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS mini domes but from what it sounds here, it might or might not work, depending if it supports Profile S. I went to Onvif's website but I couldn't even find it on their search tool but the specs say it's supported with ONVIF.

I answered my own question, you need Hikvision v5.2.x or greater on the camera to support Profile S, so you can use ONVIF for Hikvision on the Dahua NVR.

There's nothing special about motion detection and Onvif profiles. I've got a very early Onvif 1.01 camera that generates events using the then-standard way of handling those events (c. 2009); nothing special at all going on - fully documented. With later Onvif versions you get a new way to handle this but nothing much different from the other way. The message layout as sent is standard-ish, but the content is not. Some cameras have very basic content; some like H* can also have very complex content. And of course, what works in one FW version may not in the next. And so it goes. A* is good at breaking things, to name one.

Now, what any particular NVR/application does or accepts is another ball of wax.

There's nothing special about motion detection and Onvif profiles.

Motion detection may not be anything special in Onvif profiles, but I wish Messoa would implement it in their new 2 MP IP LPR cameras.

For now, if a camera can support "onvif notify" and NVR support onvif notify. then they can work togeter when motion.

But lots of chinese camera just support onvif for video output, they don`t support onvif ontify. so they can not connect other band NVR and motion.

I know HK and DH have their private motion alarm protocol , and they support onvif notify, too.

I have test it one week ago.

I have Dahua nvr and 5 Dahua cameras + 3 Zavio cameras. MD works perfect to nvr from Dahua cameras but not from Zavios.

Couple of weeks ago I updated Zavios to new FW and noticed that one of them (B5210) got automatic onvif motion detection settings from

nvr and started to work together like it should - yellow areas on playback timeline! However I had to reboot the camera later because other issues and onvif md

stopped working. Also there was no visible onvif settings in event server / event list / motion detection settings. Just a blank line you could not edit or delete.

Got curious and did factory default for B5210. Again saw onvif md working! But next reboot and it was gone.

Zavio seems to send onvif notify via HTTP to NVR, http:///onvif_notify.htm and it can be even tested while doing settings.

Clicking test, Zavio camera results (even freshly defaulted):

"Fail

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently

Authorization: Basic YWRtaW46dGlpcmFw"

Question: does anybody know how to call proper http onvif notify in Dahua nvr? Is onfiv_notify.htm right at all?

Johannes