makoto

$9000 budget. 4 camera small retail store. Need advice.

Hi CCTV Experts,

I have been doing so much research on this subject and hoped that I would be able to answer this question myself through use of the search engine and product comparisons but I really am at a roadblock here.

Could someone give me advice on how to design my IP camera solution for my small bookstore. I will need 4 cameras, which need to go back 30 days in total with motion about 8 hours a day.

I am pretty sure this is my shopping list:

• 4 Cameras
    PoE Switch
    UPS Battery Backup
    Computer or NVR
    Software

The part I am unsure on is the Computer or NVR part. With a budget of $9000 I figure I could afford to get a computer, but it would be nice if there was a NVR which was popular. What is the general decisions for Computers vs NVR?

Also, I have heard the name Axis come up a lot and am leaning towards those cameras. I have no clue on what software I need. The features I need are rather simple. Just able to record for 30 days, motion detection, and able to view remotely through port forwarding would be nice.

If someone could recommend me a whole system I would much appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

Edited by Guest

A 4 camera system with a $9000 budget, you should get something quite excellent, Doesn't seem unrealistic to me.

Axis is a great brand, why not contact them direct and ask them to design a shopping list for you?

You can do that with others like Arecont and others Lilin, you are bound to get a decent system.

The other thing, I think it's better to keep computer and recording NVR seperate. One goes wrong you lost them both? enough said

The other thing, I think it's better to keep computer and recording NVR seperate. One goes wrong you lost them both? enough said

So I should purchase a NVR and a computer? Axis does not make any NVR's do I don't know who to contact for a NVR.

Why not go with axis camera's which come with the camera companion software, and get yourself a NAS running a RAID 5 array with something like 6TB which will give you redundency should a drive fail and let you get your computer too. Give you the computer which will let you view the cameras and set recordings, and give you the NAS to do the actual storage.

The nice thing is camera companion is free, give axis a call they will tell you all about it.

Looking over your shopping list don't forget your CAT 5e cabling, and you will need a router to handle the DHCP (Assign addresses for you)

Just remember a UPS is not a long term solution during a power outage, its meant to give you 10-15 minutes maybe more depending on the size to shut down equipment gracefully so it does not crash, if you are looking to stay up for an extended period of time you will need a diesel generator and some way of failing over from the UPS to the generator.

Where are you located? I may be able to provide you with a complete shopping list and part numbers if you are located in Canada.

Hi SectorSecurity,

I am located in Hawaii. So, let me get this straight -- the cameras can record directly to the NAS without the computer? I know I need the computer to do the initial setup, but if for some reason the computer would shut down and the NAS stayed online would the cameras continue to record to the NAS?

Right now I am looking at the Drobo and Synology NAS's systems. I think I am going to go with a standard PC and then use the Drobo or Synology NAS. Any other suggestions?

That shopping list sounds awesome, if you could make me that!

Sure I will work on it tomorrow, I will try to match the part numbers to what you need, but I cant guarantee the canadian ones will match up to the american ones.

Yes I believe they should continue to record should the PC go offline, I would have to check with Axis as I have never tried.

I would say try to get a 3 bay NAS and run RAID 5 but that is just me a 2 bay with mirroring or stripping will work, only problem with stripping is if you lose 1 drive you lose everything, mirroring cuts your storage capacity in half, that is why I like to use RAID 5, I lose a drive to parity bits but I can sustain losing 1 hard drive and still recover the data.

If you do go with the NAS solution just make sure you get good quality hard drives.

You didn't mention how big your bookstore is, if you'll need exterior cameras, and what you want to specifically see from each location. It's great you have such a large budget. You may find you need more than four cameras and the extra money will come in handy. But I think you're getting wrapped up in overkill if all you want is a four camera system. I would consider an NVR with included cameras and have no less than a 3TB hard drive in the nvr. If the activity stops overnight, it's not at all unreasonable that you'll get 30- 40 days out of a 3TB hard drive. But since you have a decent budget, pop an 8TB hard drive in the nvr and there you go. But to spend 9 grand on a four camera system for general surveillance is overkill, in my opinion. You can spend roughly 1,700 and get a great four channel system in place. For an eight channel perhaps 3 thousand or 3,500. But 9k on a four channel system for a bookstore? Not needed. Save the extra 6k.

The bookstore is 500 square feet. It's pretty small. I am working with the National Park Service and the money has to be spent. Redundancy and reliability and quality is what they are paying for. I am sure I could do it for less, and I would do it for less, if I were doing this for a private business. But since we have the budget and can afford it, I would like to maximize my spendings.

I have seen the army do this before, we have x to spend on generators, so they ran out and got all top of the line generators, spent the entire budget, to this day the generators have not been installed as no one stopped to think the budget needed to include installation.

9 grand is a lot for 4 cameras, I do agree with shockwave it can be done for way less, however if they must spend it all, I would say buy spare parts, keep extra hard drives on hand and maybe an extra camera or 2, always handy to have when things break, and if the money has to be spent I don't see the problem.

Get yourself an 8 channel system. Put a camera outside in the front, outside in the back. Put one on each side of the building out there. Put the other four where you need them in the store. Then hire a professional installer and I GUARANTEE that budget will be used up.

If we get $1000 Axis cameras that can cost $4000. Then you need to consider that it costs us $1000 to have the electrician run the cat5 cable, mount the cameras and install a shelf/rack for the UPS, switch, and NVR to live. After that we need to purchase 4 hard drives and throw them inside of a NAS, which can cost $1500. Then we need to purchase the PC.

$4000 - Cameras

$1000 - Installation Fees

$1500 - NAS

$1500 - Computer

Total: $8000

I think I might be missing something too.....?

I'm gonna have to let others help you because it simply goes against my principle to install 1k cameras at a total of four for simple surveillance of a small store. I don't care WHO insisted I spend all that money. I wouldn't do it on principle if I knew it could be done at a fraction of the cost. Best of luck to you.

We are a National Park Bookstore and operate within the federal government. It is important that we have high quality cameras setup for legal and identification purposes. We originally out-sourced this job to various security companies but they all charged us over 10k for IP cameras.

As a systems administrator I feel confident in managing this project with outsourcing the project, but need some guidance on system design, as I am new to this field.

Right now I am leaning towards Axis P33 cameras recording to a Exacq, Synology, or Milestone?

Skip the NAS and the free Axis VMS. It is slow searching video and you have to port forward each camera if you want remote access. If you have to spend 9K for this system you can do way better then ACC.

I can sell you a 4 camera Avigilon system for WELL under your budget and you will be much happier with this solution. PM me if your intrested

We are a National Park Bookstore and operate within the federal government.

I can sell you a 4 camera Avigilon system for WELL under your budget and you will be much happier with this solution. PM me if your intrested

Hi. makoto if its federal then Avigilon is your best option. I would also think about two cameras for outside your store

Nothing wrong with the Axis cameras but if you can find someone to sell you Avigilon then go for it. MUCH better than the ACC option, although it's nice to have a video backup in the Axis cameras just in case. Can't comment on the difference between the camera brands but Avigilon software is head and shoulders better than the free Axis stuff. Camera pricing is in the same ballpark.