AlienDroid

What DVR type to buy and best way to connect to TV etc

Hi

I'm looking to buy and setup my first DVR and CCTV system at home and could really do with some advice.

I know almost nothing about this tech, so sorry if some my questions make your eyes roll

I've been looking at 8 channel DVR's but just 4 cams for now so I can add more cams later if I need to.

I might want 1 cam with sound possibly.

My budget is slim, maybe £140 to £170 + the cost of a 1TB drive.

I want to connect to my TV and also my Router as I want to have remote access from my PC over wi-fi if possible, and my Android fone for when I'm away from home.

I would also like a trigger to turn PIP on TV and PC monitor when in use if possible, and to turn on TV with a trigger, again if possible!

2 of the cams will be about 80ft from TV where I was planning to stick the DVR box. But my router is about another 25ft further away and upstairs.

My TV is a bit on the basic side, has 2 HDMI's, one in use. 1 USB, 1 scart. It doesn't have VGA in.

I assume the DVR I want is going to be a standalone type that doesn't need a PC to control it in any way apart from first setup! Is that correct?

How should I connect DVR to my TV?

The cheaper DVR's I've seen so far don't have HDMI, they have VGA and BNC out.

So can I connect the DVR to my TV via BNC into the scart, HDMI or coaxial antenna in as a last resort?

Go easy on me as first time looking at this stuff

Any advice appreciated..

DVR BNC out to SCART in. Resolution will be poor for quarter-screen multiplex and inadequate for eighth-screen multiplex.

If your DVR has an Alarm Output then you can use this to switch a relay to apply voltage to the relevant pin on the TV SCART socket so the TV will auto-switch to that SCART input. (Whether it will depends on your TV). Actually turning the TV on from standby is less likely to happen.

Most DVRs don't need a PC to set them up at all, they may have an input for a mouse or keyboard.

You might be better with a UK based forum for SCART switching questions as I don't think it's used in the USA, from where most people here hail.

Thanx Owain

I guess function over resolution is ok for me as long as I can get the raw video off the hard drive if I need to.

I guess expecting the TV to turn on was asking a bit too much, I've seen it talked about on one thread but as long as I can get PIP to pop up when watching TV and on PC would do for now.

Everything I'm looking at seems to have 2 USB ports and comes with a mouse. Some have PC and Mac software so not sure what's that's for! I would think for the network client to access DVR via router and by remote using phone.

IF you have a spare HDMI thats the way to go. I have been impressed by the visual improvement

that customers see when updating their DVR from Scart or even from VGA to HDMI

If you get a DVR with realtime D1 recording the playback onto a TV screen, is a joy to behold

when compared with CCTV a few years ago. HDMI is relatively embeded and like USB it will endure

and can only get better as time goes on but now it's really good anyway.

Obviously your cameras need to be reasonably goo too. 6-700 tv lines

I have customers that having seen the output have purchased new TVs to go with their new CCTV system

IF you have a spare HDMI thats the way to go. I have been impressed by the visual improvement

that customers see when updating their DVR from Scart or even from VGA to HDMI

If you get a DVR with realtime D1 recording the playback onto a TV screen, is a joy to behold

when compared with CCTV a few years ago. HDMI is relatively embeded and like USB it will endure

and can only get better as time goes on but now it's really good anyway.

Obviously your cameras need to be reasonably goo too. 6-700 tv lines

I have customers that having seen the output have purchased new TVs to go with their new CCTV system

Thanx Numb-nuts, appreciate the reply.

How easy is it to upgrade from VGA to HDMI? And cost?

I have a PC and Server background so don't mind opening the box up and installing an upgrade or 2!

The box that I'm looking at also has BNC video out but not Scart.

Photo below of back of unit I'm looking at.

This one doesn't come with anything, so would need to get hard drive, cams and cables etc.

224156_1.jpg

I don't see realtime D1 in the spec.

It does say;

Recording Resolution D1/Half_­D1/CIF

PAL: 8CIF@25fps, or 1D1@25FPS+7CIF@25FPS

I have not much of an idea what that means. You're probably going to say that's not good enough?

Cams I've been looking at. 600TVL, 48 LED's.

Might get 2 like the above and 2 cheaper ones to keep the cost down, can always upgrade later but money is tight now.

That's interesting to know the vid output can be so good your customers then go buy a better TV " title="Applause" />

I have a new-sh Samsung, it's not the best by a long way but the image is as good as some sets that cost more than twice as much, so it should be good for the job.

Hi, It is good that you decided to get some security camera installation at your home. I believe that you need some technical assistance for your desired results and installation, i suggest you to talk with some professional CCTV camera installer and you will definitely get some fruitful result.

You can use either the BNC video out and connector to your TV by converting the other end of the cable to an RCA and plug into the yellow video jack of your AV input.

Or you can use VGA and connect to your VGA input.

You could get a VGA to HDMI converter, but it would still be an analog signal coming off the unit.

I think what Numb-Nuts was referring to was upgrading the DVR to a unit that supports HDMI out so you have a digital output.

You can use either the BNC video out and connector to your TV by converting the other end of the cable to an RCA and plug into the yellow video jack of your AV input.

You could get a VGA to HDMI converter, but it would still be an analog signal coming off the unit.

I think what Numb-Nuts was referring to was upgrading the DVR to a unit that supports HDMI out so you have a digital output.

Thanx for the reply SectorSecurity.

As I noted in my first post, my TV is a bit on the basic side, has 2 HDMI's, one in use. 1 USB, 1 scart. It doesn't have VGA in or RCA, which is disappointing as it limits connectivity!

So both your suggestions don't look like an option for me?

Regarding VGA to HDMI. Going on what you say I can convert but then I don't have the option of sound I assume which is something I would like to have on one of the cams?

Re. HDMI upgrade! I guess that's why Numb-nuts didn't reply back on that question. My knowledge on these boxes is crap. I was hoping something like a simple PCI type card upgrade with a HDMI slot stuck on the back but that was wishful thinking on my part.

So am I flogging a dead horse with the budget I have and the fact my Samsung TV has less connections on the back of it than most people would expect?

Perhaps something like this?

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=1811

Then still use the BNC - RCA cable, BNC connector on one end RCA on the other.

Thanx for the link

The problem is my TV I guess. As I said in previous posts my TV doesn't have RCA so that isn't an option unfortunately.

Think I'm expecting too much for my low budget so now considering upping my budget and look for a unit with HDMI output.

If I have one cam with sound will that come through the HDMI connection or will I still need RCA for that?

Sorry about the very basic question, I've just never even looked at this type of connection before.

Then still use the BNC - RCA cable, BNC connector on one end RCA on the other.

Thanx for the link

The problem is my TV I guess. As I said in previous posts my TV doesn't have RCA so that isn't an option unfortunately.

Think I'm expecting too much for my low budget so now considering upping my budget and look for a unit with HDMI output.

If I have one cam with sound will that come through the HDMI connection or will I still need RCA for that?

Sorry about the very basic question, I've just never even looked at this type of connection before.

That was an HDMI to RCA converter I showed you, connect the HDMI end to your TV then connect the female RCA to the Male RCA off your camera cable and on the other end of the camera cable use BNC to connect to the DVR.

This will let you go from BNC to RCA to HDMI, thus should work with your TV.

That was an HDMI to RCA converter I showed you, connect the HDMI end to your TV then connect the female RCA to the Male RCA off your camera cable and on the other end of the camera cable use BNC to connect to the DVR.

This will let you go from BNC to RCA to HDMI, thus should work with your TV.

Are u saying that converter that u recommend will convert from BNC to HDMI or HDMI to BNC ?

hmm

This converter will go from HDMI to RCA Female.

Then you need to create your own cable from the DVR, so one end of the cable has a BNC connector and connects to the DVR video output, then the other end of the cable you put an RCA male.

Then plug the RCA male into this adapter and you will be able to have HDMI.

Then you need to create your own cable from the DVR, so one end of the cable has a BNC connector and connects to the DVR video output, then the other end of the cable you put an RCA male.

Thanx I understand how to connect that cable now. (I think)

Will the video quality be the same taking from that BNC port to the HDMI in on the TV compared to a DVR with HDMI out?

Is there sound on the BNC video out?

If not that will still leave me short on sound with my annoying TV!

I could perhaps put up with no sound on the TV playback as long as I can network the DVR and access it via my PC!

Correctamundo

However if there isn't enough in the budget, I have always thought VGA to be very acceptable. BNC out is just your bog standard video out signal and would be my LAST choice for display. Most TVs have a VGA input and you would select it through the source or AV button on your remote it will either be listed a PS or VGA. Dont attempt to set the resolution to high (check your screen's max resolution) or you'll have to resort to the BNC out to reset the resolution again. Your DVR is capable of one channel realtime @ di and the remained at the spec that it says there so if you have a critical location to monitor thats the one you might use the D! recording at 25fps PAL or 30 fps NTSC ( dont ask me what it stands for I honestly dunno.)

Regarding the sound, us an RCA to RCA lead, and connect the audio out to the TV RCA in connector Red White or black, (the yellow is usually video) and check that the encode section in your menu is set to video + Audio on both streams if you want to hear the sound remotely.

If you plug the audio out to the TV, the sound will play through the TV or you could have seperate speakers and get a 3.5mm jack plug to two RCA audio lead, plug the 3.5mm jack into the amplified speakers and the white RCA into the audio out port, You'll be sound as a pound.

Reading that your TV doesn't have a VGA the best choice will be a VGA to HDMI convertor, or a scrt convertor like the one below but you'll also need a VGA cable on top of this.

224758_1.1

Will the video quality be the same taking from that BNC port to the HDMI in on the TV compared to a DVR with HDMI out?

I could perhaps put up with no sound on the TV playback as long as I can network the DVR and access it via my PC!

NO! You can only get out what the machine puts out. So using the BNC video out is the least successful way (but valid nonetheless). If you use the VGA out to scart I dunno, haven't tried it but can't be worse that wat you were proposing. If you want valid HDMI output at 720p or 1080p then you would have to replace the dvr with one that has HDMI out. There is one other way, you could view the DVR over your LAN and output to your computer screen? It is a compromise but the added cost of upgrading either your DVR or TV might make you consider this before spending heaps on upgrades.

Drives you mad all these decisions, bet you thought it would be easy? Now you know.

NO! You can only get out what the machine puts out. So using the BNC video out is the least successful way (but valid nonetheless). If you use the VGA out to scart I dunno, haven't tried it but can't be worse that wat you were proposing. If you want valid HDMI output at 720p or 1080p then you would have to replace the dvr with one that has HDMI out. There is one other way, you could view the DVR over your LAN and output to your computer screen? It is a compromise but the added cost of upgrading either your DVR or TV might make you consider this before spending heaps on upgrades.

Drives you mad all these decisions, bet you thought it would be easy? Now you know.

Should have clarified, my solution is not giving you a true HDMI picture, rather it is just allowing you to convert your BNC video out to HDMI, which is not the same as the DVR having HDMI out and connecting it to the HDMI port on your TV.

Should have clarified, my solution is not giving you a true HDMI picture, rather it is just allowing you to convert your BNC video out to HDMI, which is not the same as the DVR having HDMI out and connecting it to the HDMI port on your TV.

Hmm,

Which "unit" in your advise does actual conversion from Std video signal to HDMI signal ?

LOL Info overload is right, but very appreciated guys.

I now have a slightly better understanding of how all the connections work so to speak!

My TV is making this much harder than it needs to be, but I'm not going to change it as funds are low at the moment.

It's just not got much to work with compared to most TV's... see below.

I've 90% decided now to go for a DVR with HDMI output, it will almost double the price of the DVR on its own not including other bits I need but I might offset some of the extra cost by getting 3 cams not 4 as planned and only one will have the higher TVL's etc. These are things I can always upgrade later when funds permit.

I'm currently looking at a few DVR's on auction sites right now.

That of course can be a minefield of mistakes like the reply I got this minute from a seller after a 2nd time asking him about a DVR spec it now turns out it isn't HDMI as listed. Lucky I checked as the spec and the listing didn't match the photo! Doh...!

Currently I'm looking at this unit, but it's between 2 and 3 times cost the cost of some of the non HDMI DVR's I was previously looking at.

As you can see it has the all important HDMI so will make my connection a lot easier for a CCTV noob!

But this will cost me about £140 and I could get a non HDMI for £60

I don't want to link to them directly, that might break forum rules, but let me know what you think of the spec?

Inputs: 8 Channel Video Inputs

Playback: 4/8 Channel Simultaneous Playback

System: Embedded Linux

Format: H.264 Compression

Resolution: D1 or 960H (Widescreen)

Memory: 1 x S/ATA (Up to 2TB)

Alarms: Motion Detection, HDD Fault

Audio: RCA - 2 Channel Input, 1 Channel Output

Network: LAN - RJ45

Remote Access: Smartphones, PC/Mac, Tablets, etc.

Output: HDMI, BNC or VGA

Backup: 2 x USB 2.0, Network

Display: Pentaplex Operation

Plug & Play!

can record in full D1 or 960H (for widescreen) quality on all channels and output to multiple screens and devices simultaneously via HDMI, VGA, BNC or network to PC

It also comes with 12 months warranty.

Problem is I can't find any reviews so this will be a stab in the dark perhaps!

I would have liked something with more audio inputs, seems a bit lacking compared to some DVR's and it's not full HD so not sure this will pick up enough detail like car licence plates at distance at night etc with a good cam of course!

I still need to cost wiring, cams, power supplies, hard drive etc so looks like I'm going well over budget!

147812041_samsungtvbackconnections.jpg.81bdd1aac0afbd09e999c102ad03b573.jpg

1209722857_MDDVR-RV8-rear2b.png.ff7189d44b6f956a9495a50d9b8c4a53.png

Thanx everyone for the replies.

I've got my DVR up and running now. I ended up upping my budget and getting one with HDMI because as I stated my TV doesn't have VGA etc. It made things a bit simpler and less time consuming in the end.

I'm having some technical issues so I'll start a new thread on that.

Cheers for the advice given.